Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avenue 5 [HBO / Armando Iannucci]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Feels like they wanna draw out the dual comedy-terror aspect for a bit but I don't think it'll keep the audience.

Picking one side or the other is probably the way to go but I'm guessing they'll lose some audience from the side they don't pick.

Maybe the series is stuck..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,774 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Renewed for a 2nd season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72,895 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Something had better happen with that married couple who are always arguing, haven’t found them remotely funny so far.

It has more negatives than positives for me at the moment and I think the only reason I am sticking with is the talent involved knowing they can produce good things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Episode 5 was one of the worst things I've seen on TV in a long, long time :( Considering the talent in front and behind the camera, I'm at a loss at how god awful this show is turning out to be.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd be agreeing with you V, but maybe it's going over much better in the US? It reminds me of an extended Saturday Night Live skit. Saturday Night Live is hugely popular in the US, but really doesn't translate beyond their birders. Any time I've watched it I found it as funny as murdering kittens. Even when real comedy talent is involved.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I stopped watching after the 2nd episode. Doesn't look like it got better going by here. Shame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I like it.

You're all nuts :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'd be agreeing with you V, but maybe it's going over much better in the US? It reminds me of an extended Saturday Night Live skit. Saturday Night Live is hugely popular in the US, but really doesn't translate beyond their birders. Any time I've watched it I found it as funny as murdering kittens. Even when real comedy talent is involved.

I had a look on Reddit and a few other forums and the feedback seems split between some thinking it's the greatest thing ever made and a slightly larger amount thinking it's utter garbage :confused:

5: I don't know where this is going.. feels either abolsolute horrors or maybe.. nowhere

• Advertisement

I think I'm done after that episode.

It has me wondering is it so bad on purpose with the talent involved it should be at least halfway decent, so are they making a show so bad just to see what they can get people to watch on name value alone.

I enjoyed episode 5, just for the scenes with the stand-up comedian - not being allowed to tell any jokes, getting abuse/criticism from all angles. :D

Noticed that Peter Baynham had a hand in writing that episode, he’s always on form when collaborating with Iannucci.

6: Not sure what the point was but now I feel tired.. maybe that was the point :confused:

God, the baby is going from a womb surrounded by bodily fluids to a ship surrounded by bodily solids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,055 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Renewed for a 2nd season.

Is it doing well in ratings?

hrmmm.. seems to be holding steady..
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avenue_5

0.571 -> 0.500 -> 0.297 -> 0.275 -> 0.386 -> 0.371

From what I remember, most shows take a dip in viewers at first.
    Three episodes left. I'd guess a lot will depend on how they've crafted the story.

7: Awe that's not gonna end well.
    Guessing they'll do this eject-move just before the resupply shuttle gets to them then they lose Rav as their mission controller or she somehow gets standed on the ship up there with them.. with the resupply shuttle joining the orbit of everything else.

Thinking I'll see the show through to the end of season one but see how things are shaping up before jumping into season two.

Enjoyed last night’s episode...Harrison ripping into ‘Fudd’, could get interesting now that Rav has gone into space.

#papalpoop :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,017 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Episode 8 is out in some locations... I have seen it, did not quite believe what I saw. “People are stupid” does not seem adequate.
    I thought Sarah had some kind of common sense survival instinct, but apparently not.
    :eek:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

8: Well this is going all wrong!
    bnt wrote: »
    Episode 8 is out in some locations... I have seen it, did not quite believe what I saw. “People are stupid” does not seem adequate.
    I thought Sarah had some kind of common sense survival instinct, but apparently not.
    :eek:

What they did :eek: Then the ending! :eek:

One episode left in season 1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

9 in total then?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,642 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I'm enjoying this so far. Not taking it too seriously and has its comic moments. Neelix is still annoying.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I'm enjoying this so far. Not taking it too seriously and has its comic moments. Neelix is still annoying.

"A hole's a hole"

*edit*
    I feel I have to point out this is a reference to what the character said on this show because otherwise it would make me come off as really really creepy :pac:

Talk about a headf**k of an episode, especially with the airlock :eek:

Things set up very nicely for the finale :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭kerplun k

8: The end of that episode kinda reminds me of that COVID-19 thread on here at the moment.

9: Well. That's the end of the season. If they do another season.. well.. that ain't gonna go well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭kerplun k

It was very underwhelming, yet, strangely watchable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,027 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Is there a 2nd part to Season 1!? Episode 9 didn't seem like a series finale at all. Overall seemed like a lot of wasted potential but not so bad I wouldn't watch season 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

God I had forgotten all about this.

Advertisement