Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens if one refuses to get a PS Card.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

A teacher was refused illness benefit because she wouldn’t get a Public Service Card. A case of cutting off ones nose to spite ones face.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/teacher-denied-access-to-social-welfare-after-breaking-her-ankle-and-refusing-to-get-psc-964845.html

Considering the controversy surrounding them, I'm not sure if you're referring to the woman in the article, or the woman at the centre of the debacle, Regina Doherty.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

A teacher was refused illness benefit because she wouldn’t get a Public Service Card. A case of cutting off ones nose to spite ones face.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/teacher-denied-access-to-social-welfare-after-breaking-her-ankle-and-refusing-to-get-psc-964845.html
    That was the primary purpose of the PS cards, dealing with Welfare and claims. It was all the stuff outside of that that caused unease.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,529 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

The whole card thing has been an absolute debacle from beginning to end.

The whole card thing has been handled very badly.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,985 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What happens if one refuses to get a PS Card?

One does not get welfare benefits, unless one establishes both one's identify and one's eligibility for said benefits.

I wonder how the teacher assesses her students, if she is so against collecting data.

One does not get welfare benefits, unless one establishes both one's identify and one's eligibility for said benefits.

I wonder how the teacher assesses her students, if she is so against collecting data.

Are you equating marking a kids school work or homework with the harvesting of sensitive and personal data?

(Just checking)

• Advertisement

Considering the controversy surrounding them, I'm not sure if you're referring to the woman in the article, or the woman at the centre of the debacle, Regina Doherty.

Considering that there’s nothing wrong with their primary use, ie for accessing welfare services, it’s obviously the teacher in the article I’m referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

We need a proper id card as in Romania and other European countries not that s half baked effort,if we have to have one make it proper,it'll sort a lot of criminals out and make the country safer

Considering that there’s nothing wrong with their primary use, ie for accessing welfare services, it’s obviously the teacher in the article I’m referring to.

Ahem.

Among the findings is that the basis for forcing users to obtain a card to access some state services is unlawful. The DPC also found that the functioning of the card is not sufficiently transparent, with users not given enough information on the card and the registration processes.

I don't believe for one minute you weren't aware of this tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Are you equating marking a kids school work or homework with the harvesting of sensitive and personal data?

(Just checking)

Well, yes, the teacher does collect the names of minors and their ages, that is pretty sensitive data.

Does each teacher take the proper care of that data and ensure that for example other members of their family don't have access to that data if they bring homework home?

Ahem.

Requiring the card to access welfare services is lawful.

• Advertisement

Ahem.

“ The recent investigation by the Data Protection Commissioner into the PSC found that its use for services other than welfare is illegal. The same investigation also found that Social Protection does have a legal basis for using the PSC to process its own services” From my original link.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Well, yes, the teacher does collect the names of minors and their ages, that is pretty sensitive data.

Does each teacher take the proper care of that data and ensure that for example other members of their family don't have access to that data if they bring homework home?

You talk some nonsense, the above is not worthy of a reply. :D
    blanch152 wrote: »
    Requiring the card to access welfare services is lawful.

Oh, my bad. Of course we should ignore the findings of the Data Protection Commissioner’s report, and suck up what blanch is espousing instead.

How naive of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,985 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You talk some nonsense, the above is not worthy of a reply. :D

I don't think so. Teachers have a lot of very sensitive personal data about whole families, innocently collected from minors who know no better than to share the details of their parents activities. And that's before you get into the sensitive nature of student achievement information.

Teachers are the very last profession that should be giving out about having data inappropriately collected, processed or stored.

I don't think so. Teachers have a lot of very sensitive personal data about whole families, innocently collected from minors who know no better than to share the details of their parents activities. And that's before you get into the sensitive nature of student achievement information.

Teachers are the very last profession that should be giving out about having data inappropriately collected, processed or stored.

I obviously missed where a teacher had the right to deny a child lessons unless the child answered all of the teachers queries relating to the child in questions personal family life.

This isn't serious, please tell me it isn't so.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The PS card is necessary to claim DSP benefits + Free Travel. That in my opinion is fair enough. If you get the card you will get DSP benefits, if not, tough.

The issue is its requirement for other things like Driver licenses, passports and whatever else they tried it for.

It cannot be used as ID either, because some genius decided that the PPS number was to be placed on the reverse of the card or something like that.

I am in agreement that it should be required to access DSP services, but not anything else right now.

There seems to be a spat going on with the Data Protection Commissioner and DSP. Let us see what happens, but the DPC seems to be on solid ground.

I can't comment on teachers, know nothing about the ins and outs sorry. But at the end of the day if you are claiming a DSP benefit, you must have a card.

I obviously missed where a teacher had the right to deny a child lessons unless the child answered all of the teachers queries relating to the child in questions personal family life.

This isn't serious, please tell me it isn't so.

There are much more serious GDPR issues in schools and involving teachers than in getting a PS card to collect your disability benefit.

But GDPR issues in schools can’t be used to have a go at Fine Gael, so they don’t get the attention they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

I gather she is a PAYE worker and already has an associated PPS No.

The Unions will be in like a shot on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

"The State is forcing me to trade my private data in exchange for access to services to which I am legally entitled,” she told the department."

Clearly an idiot and arguably too stupid to be a teacher, given that that load of utter codswallop suggests that she is wholly unaware that the Department already has all of the "private data" that she's talking about!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Well, she wasnt really refused illness benefit, she was refused Supplementary Welfare, illness Benefit would not request her to have a PSC card to access that payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

Trigger wrote: »
    Well, she wasnt really refused illness benefit, she was refused Supplementary Welfare, illness Benefit would not request her to have a PSC card to access that payment.

Yup.

Further evidence of her stupidity, in that she has confused her "entitlement" to a benefit that she has paid towards through her PRSI with her right to apply for a discretionary, means tested, payment. If someone applies for the latter, then they would be wise to abide by the eligibility rules that apply.

• Advertisement
Advertisement