Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red/Black IR

Options
  • 18-11-2019 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to get black IR compared to red IR light for NV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Could be wrong here, but the IR is Infra REd.
    Not sure if you are looking for black for a particular reason.

If it is to remain "invisible" to animals and stop a light being seen, then you can buy a 940nm light which is further along the light spectrum and invisible to animals ( and people). The light when view through the NV device is cleaner than the standard 850nm light but you lose a lot of range with it.
    TBH, even with the 850nm light you will only see a glow(similar to a cigarette) at about 10m.
    Cant comment on how visible it is to animals, but I think that 850nm is far enough along the light spectrum to be "almost" invisible to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭minktrapper

I am using a torch at the moment and there is a red "glow" from it. I am pretty sure animals can see it hundreds of yards away. Do you suggest I get a 940 nm pil for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Unless you are hunting any of these lads,I wouldnt be too worried about it.:P
    https://sciencing.com/animals-can-see-infrared-light-6910261.html

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭hiddenmongoose

I am using a torch at the moment and there is a red "glow" from it. I am pretty sure animals can see it hundreds of yards away. Do you suggest I get a 940 nm pil for it.

IR is invisible to the naked eye, if you can see it glow its not IR. have you just got a torch with a red coloured filter ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Not sure what you mean when you say a "glow" from it.

If you are seeing a glow and not using NV equipment, then your light is not IR.

If however, you are seeing a little glowing light(i.e. like a LED similar to a "standby light" on a TV) then I wouldn't worry too much about animals seeing it.

Was out tonight and watched rabbits with IR and they didn't notice at all.
    My foxcall also brought in an owl who flew around me almost at touching range for about 30 seconds and a fox to within 5 yards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Ir led torches can and do glow a faint red in the 850 range the higher 940 is invisible to us completely.
    I have 2 fairly powerful ir illuminators and both emit a glow and if you hold your hand just off the lens they give off a nice bit of heat too.
    Foxes most definitely can see ir in the 850 range I do tend to keep my torch low on them until the last moment before the shot to not spook them.
    I must add I do not recommend anyone look into or shine an ir torch at anyone’s eyes I’m sure the powerful ones available now can definitely cause damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭minktrapper

IR is invisible to the naked eye, if you can see it glow its not IR. have you just got a torch with a red coloured filter ?

Security cameras use an IR light to illuminate its field of view. It is very easy to see the IR light.

If I can see the IR light does that mean that it's 850 nm.

I am using NV equipment and I can a red light coming from the IR illuminator.

Good idea not to shine it directly at the fox.

Advertisement