Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulate Wall with Double Glazed Pane.

Options
  • 19-11-2019 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭

I have an internal wall of red brick. It is in the hall , to the left of the hall door which opens back on to it.
    There is little or no insulation in the wall. It is from floor to ceiling and about 3ft wide. I want to insulate it but would like to keep the brick in view. I was thinking of getting a double glazed pane to fit over the wall.
    Would this be effective? Any suggestions on frame etc appreciated. I plan to get a contractor to do it but would like feedback beforehand.

All responses/ suggestion appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,418 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Internal wall?
    DG will have to be toughened, and will be multi panelled and you will have to stop the door banging against it

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Yes, internal wall. I can fit a door stopper to the floor. But would the dg give good insulation.?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Why do you want to insulate an internal wall?:confused:

To prevent heat loss. In a similar way that warm board is used. The rest of the walls are already insulated except this bricked portion. I suspect that was left because of limited space and maybe aesthetic reasons.

Just realised , calling it an internal wall is wrong, I am talking about the inside face of an external wall. It is brick on both outside and inside. Sorry for the confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You want to double glaze to see a red brick wall on your hall?

Is the wall of some specific historical value ?

• Advertisement

No, it is just a feature. Thought the double glazing would give good insulation while retaining the feature. Also thought that dg would have a smaller thickness than a warm board solution.
    The thickness cannot be anymore than 25mm limited by door ope.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,381 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Could you not just clad it on the outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If you are hoping that a double glazed window will give the same level of insulation as an inch of a purpose designed insulating material, it won’t.

You really need to understand U values for the different materials.

It could be an option as an alternative to just cover the brick and reclassify with a new brick finish.

What you want to do is possible but it doesn’t usually make a lot of financial sense.

Response to lawred2

I suppose it could but it would look out of place with the remainder if the wall. Certainly worth considering.

If you are hoping that a double glazed window will give the same level of insulation as an inch of a purpose designed insulating material, it won’t.

You really need to understand U values for the different materials.

It could be an option as an alternative to just cover the brick and reclassify with a new brick finish.

What you want to do is possible but it doesn’t usually make a lot of financial sense.
    Thanks for that. If it is not as good an insulator and not making financial sense then it is a non-runner. Good information, thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Insulate then clad the wall in brick slips.it will give you back the look you want to retain.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

OP just to clarify the inside is brick and the outside is render/plaster?

BryanF wrote: »
    OP just to clarify the inside is brick and the outside is render/plaster?

Both inside and outside are brick.

Advertisement