Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tablet v's Kindle

Options
  • 19-11-2019 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭

Husband wants a kindle for Christmas.

He wants it for the specific reason that a magazine he wants in connection with a hobby is only available in Ireland on a kindle.

I read a lot but I prefer a book. I'm not big on eaders.

I'm thinking a tablet would be a lot more useful as he could go online, check email etc and he could then get kindle app.

I have noticed online Samsung tab A 10.132gb in is available everywhere quite cheap.

So opinions please kindle v's Samsung tab A or another reasonable tablet that you could recommend

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

A big plus on reading on kindle over tablet is the battery life, it’s also a lot easier on the eyes. If he wants a kindle for Christmas why not just get him what he asked for anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Is magazine in colour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I'd go for the tablet every time. Kindles (as in the e-reader, not the Kindle Fire) are great for reading books. They're not as good for magazines.

I don't like Amazon's Kindle Fire tablets because they've heavily customised them so that you're tied into their stores. I set one up for a relative ages ago and had to side-load the Google Play Store onto it because Amazon's built in one had a poor selection of apps.

Before your husband buys anything, get him to hold and use a tablet of a similar size. I'm a fan of the 8" tablets because they're not as cramped as the 7" and I find 10" a bit big. But those are my preferences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

beauf wrote: »
    Is magazine in colour?

Yes it is

salmocab wrote: »
    A big plus on reading on kindle over tablet is the battery life, it’s also a lot easier on the eyes. If he wants a kindle for Christmas why not just get him what he asked for anyway?

The magazine subscription he wants is for military model sets and military history. It's all colour diagrams. It is the only thing he will use it for.

However with a tablet he can have email access using it for online stuff. He goes on you tube also to watch videos for it.

From what Im reading online about kindles the are B&W and no emails you tube etc.

He's not very tech savvy and struggles with laptop and he finds his smartphone too small for that stuff

• Advertisement

I'd go for the tablet every time. Kindles (as in the e-reader, not the Kindle Fire) are great for reading books. They're not as good for magazines.

I don't like Amazon's Kindle Fire tablets because they've heavily customised them so that you're tied into their stores. I set one up for a relative ages ago and had to side-load the Google Play Store onto it because Amazon's built in one had a poor selection of apps.

Before your husband buys anything, get him to hold and use a tablet of a similar size. I'm a fan of the 8" tablets because they're not as cramped as the 7" and I find 10" a bit big. But those are my preferences.

He has Samsung s8 phone and that is too small for that stuff for him. I'll drag him into a store at the weekend to try it. I know if he had the tablet he would probably use goole maps too so the 8 in might be that bit more portable for him

• Registered Users Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The magazine subscription he wants is for military model sets and military history. It's all colour diagrams. It is the only thing he will use it for.

However with a tablet he can have email access using it for online stuff. He goes on you tube also to watch videos for it.

From what Im reading online about kindles the are B&W and no emails you tube etc.

He's not very tech savvy and struggles with laptop and he finds his smartphone too small for that stuff

Well if it’s colour diagrams a tablet would probably be better kindles are far easier to read and easier on the eye but have very limited functionality.

What do you want him to use Google maps for? If it's for use as a satnav, his phone is a better option. He'd have to download the route before he left the house.

I assume the magazine uses an app?

What do you want him to use Google maps for? If it's for use as a satnav, his phone is a better option. He'd have to download the route before he left the house.

I assume the magazine uses an app?

He uses Google maps every night to plot his work for the following day at work.

Magazine does not have its own app but can be purchased through kindle store

• Registered Users Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I'd be concerned if he wants to see a lot of detail on the kindle. I have Kindle Paperwhite, it's great for reading books, but if the book contains detailed drawings or maps, it's difficult. Tablet'd be more generally useful.

Unless there's a specific kindle-edition of the magazine in question that works with the smaller display.

• Advertisement

It'd be madness to buy a kindle e-reader for anything other than reading books IMHO.

I think a tablet would be the best choice here.

I wouldn't get a fire tablet either get that Samsung etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

Amazon Black Friday sales will be starting from next Friday. You could get both Kindle (for books) and Kindle Fire 10 (for magazines) for the same price as the Samsung tablet.

If you want to get a Kindle Fire, be mindful of what you're getting yourself into. Kindle Fires don't come with Google Play on them. It's Amazon's App store which is not as good. If nobody in the family is tech savvy, avoid.

https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/

If you want to get a Kindle Fire, be mindful of what you're getting yourself into. Kindle Fires don't come with Google Play on them. It's Amazon's App store which is not as good. If nobody in the family is tech savvy, avoid.

https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/

Well that's the kindle out so

You don't need to be too tech-savvy to get the Play Store on a fire tablet.

It's really straight-forward: https://www.lifewire.com/install-google-play-kindle-fire-4570988

The Fire tablets are stupid cheap for Black Friday, well worth getting.

Worth paying extra for a ordinary non fire tablet imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

beauf wrote: »
    Worth paying extra for a ordinary non fire tablet imo.

Just to clarify this is accurate.
    • you will pay more to get an android tablet with the same spec as the kindle fire.
    • He asked for a kindle tablet.
    • anyone with the ability to read can pop play store onto a kindle. linked earlier - its really simple.

So the alternative is to pay more, to get something he didn't ask for? And the downside to kindle tablet is .... it doesn't come with play store installed but you can install it.

Let me clarify, IMO (in my opinion) ts worth paying NOT to have to use the Kindle OS and their ads and bloat, and tracking and non standard OS.

If you don't care about any of that. Then its good band for buck.

Advertisement