Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have VF Siro for a year. What next?

• 19-11-2019 10:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭

I switched from Virgin to Vodafone Siro last December. We're approaching the end of the contract now. I'm wondering what to do next.

For some reason in our contract (the €25 for the first 6 months and €50 after that) it says our speed will be reduced after a year. I'm not mad about that so wondering what our options are.

Options I can see are

1: Do nothing. Just continue on as normal. (€600 a year and probably reduced speed)

2: Ring them and see what it's worth to enter into a new contract.

3: Switch to another SIRO provider. Digiweb have €35 a month for 2 years contract (€420 a year).

4: Switch back to Virgin but they're more expensive than option one but give free sports TV and a Google Home mini, neither of which I care about.

Has anybody done option 2? If so what were the results?

Is there an option 5 or 6 that is reasonable.

I don't get TV from cable. I use free to air and Netflix which is plenty for me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭piplip87

timetogo1 wrote: »
    I switched from Virgin to Vodafone Siro last December. We're approaching the end of the contract now. I'm wondering what to do next.

For some reason in our contract (the €25 for the first 6 months and €50 after that) it says our speed will be reduced after a year. I'm not mad about that so wondering what our options are.

Options I can see are

1: Do nothing. Just continue on as normal. (€600 a year and probably reduced speed)

3: Switch to another SIRO provider. Digiweb have €35 a month for 2 years contract (€420 a year).

4: Switch back to Virgin but they're more expensive than option one but give free sports TV and a Google Home mini, neither of which I care about.

I don't get TV from cable. I use free to air and Netflix which is plenty for me.

I would always ring the current provider first and see what deal is on the table. They will usually give you a decent deal.

Although moving provider is no longer the pain it was. We moved recently and was without service for all of 5 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

The price is going up because you are availing of a promotional price for 1000Mb/s which would usually retail at €80 - €90 per month.

If this is the Digiweb offer you refer to

https://digiweb.ie/siro-powered-broadband/siro-exclusive-offer/

you might want to read the small print
    New Digiweb customers only. Once off set up fee of €99.95 applies. Price after 12 months €64.95. 24 month contract & further terms apply. Offer ends 31st October 2019.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭timetogo1

The price is going up because you are availing of a promotional price for 1000Mb/s which would usually retail at €80 - €90 per month.

If this is the Digiweb offer you refer to

you might want to read the small print

Ha that's mad. I hadn't seen that. So the price they advertise is negated by their small print. That looks a bit like sharp practice to me.

I won't bother with them so. Sky do Siro in my area. Theirs is €40pm +€100 fee which is just cheaper than my option 1 advice with Siro speed. But I'll ring VF first to see what they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭dam099

Ha that's mad. I hadn't seen that. So the price they advertise is negated by their small print. That looks a bit like sharp practice to me.

I won't bother with them so. Sky do Siro in my area. Theirs is €40pm +€100 fee which is just cheaper than my option 1 advice with Siro speed. But I'll ring VF first to see what they say.

I rang them up and got dropped to €45 for 1gb for another 12 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

What speed is that price for? 150 Mb/s or 1,000 Mb/s ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Sky's price also skyrockets after one year. So be aware, what the cost is then.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Options I can see are

Reduced speed to what? From what?

Most households will never come close to needing to use the available data rates/bandwidth.

Unless you are a hosting a data center, can't see why reducing the nominal topline rates should be any sort of a factor in your thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭timetogo1

lawred2 wrote: »
    Reduced speed to what? From what?

Most households will never come close to needing to use the available data rates/bandwidth.

Unless you are a hosting a data center, can't see why reducing the nominal topline rates should be any sort of a factor in your thinking.

Yeah, sure why bother with siro at all with that logic.

I'm currently getting about 450mb on WiFi on a good day which is great.

It doesn't say on the initial docs what the speed reduction is to. Which is why I posted here.
    I understand I don't need 1gb/s and that I don't get that. I might on a direct cable but they could only wire it up in the hall.

I don't mind switching providers if it means reduced cost and similar or better service.

It doesn't say on the initial docs what the speed reduction is to. Which is why I posted here.
    I understand I don't need 1gb/s and that I don't get that. I might on a direct cable but they could only wire it up in the hall.

I don't mind switching providers if it means reduced cost and similar or better service.

I think it's 150/30Mb/s that is the reduced speed after the promotion.

that's a flounce anyway :D

My point was - 450Mb to 300Mb while a nominally big reduction would not be felt by the vast vast majority of end users.

I'd be more concerned about the monthly cost really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

that's a flounce anyway :D

My point was - 450Mb to 300Mb while a nominally big reduction would not be felt by the vast vast majority of end users.

I'd be more concerned about the monthly cost really

There is no 300 Mbit/s package on SIRO. Vodafone is just not offering the full speed on what they can deliver on that package, while other SIRO providers do.

SIRO profiles are 150/30, 500/100, 1000/200 on the residential packages.

The reason Vodafone has gone with a different approach is, that they have the same packages on the SIRO and OpenEIR network.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    There is no 300 Mbit/s package on SIRO. Vodafone is just not offering the full speed on what they can deliver on that package, while other SIRO providers do.

SIRO profiles are 150/30, 500/100, 1000/200 on the residential packages.

The reason Vodafone has gone with a different approach is, that they have the same packages on the SIRO and OpenEIR network.

/M

what does the 150/30Mb mean?

max/min?

what does the 150/30Mb mean?

max/min?

Download/upload speed.

Download/upload speed.

lol - yeah of course durrrrrrrrr

so it will be 450 down to 150 after the promotion... and to maintain your existing speeds will cost how much?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭done4now

Funnily enough I was wondering this myself as my parents contract is up next month.

They currently have GB broadband which is now 60€ a month + 6€ for the phone line and normally 15e extra a month due to using the landline for mobile calls despite having free calls on both their mobile phones.

So it's currently quite expensive for them. I rang up today and they offered me 60€ a month with calls to mobiles included and keep GB BB if I signed up for a 12 month contract. Said I'd call them back later on.

Another deal they offered me was 56€ for 12 months if I signed up for 18 months.

While I asked to be downgraded to 100mbs I never got a quote for it.

TBH for what they need I would nearly just get them a GOMO SIM for internet and get a VoIP for a landline but I'd like to have faster internet than 4G for whenever I'm back there and I'm WFH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Vodafone tend to be quite good with renewal deals. My renewal deal for fttc is still the same price 3 years later with no further calls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭BowWow

TheDriver wrote: »
    My renewal deal for fttc is still the same price 3 years later with no further calls.

Have you compared your deal against what a "new" customer would be getting off them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

BowWow wrote: »
    Have you compared your deal against what a "new" customer would be getting off them?

Yes. on a month per month basis, I'm doing better plus mine stays the same after the 12-18 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

My Vodafone SIRO/fttc contract is up at a monthly cost of €55/month. They can take €5 off that. I see Sky are now doing fttc at a discounted rate of aprox €40/month (taking in the installation cost)? Anybody with experience of Sky on SIRO?

Thanks
    W.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

I’d be interested to hear about sky as well. Got the email to say siro was available so rang Vodafone as that’s who I’m with at the moment.

They told me it was 80€ per month as I was an existing customer. I actually laughed. It’s 25 pm for 6 then 50pm after that for a new customer. She said best she could do would be 65 pm so I told her not to bother.

• Advertisement
Advertisement