Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

08 Passat broke down - need advice

• 19-11-2019 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a 2 litre diesel Passat, had it serviced only 2 weeks ago and passed nct last week.

Started it today and drove about 500 metres when it started to chug a bit and lose power, then it died and i couldnt re-start again.

I tried to get it jump started but it didnt work, battery was showing 12. something volts which i think is normal.

Eventually the ignition didnt come on at all until i tried to jump it again (for the handbreak to push it to a safe place).

If i turn on the ignition the two lights that stay up are the battery and engine lights. Has anyone had this happen before or have a fair idea what it may be?

Fuel filter was changed a couple of weeks ago with the service,

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭teediddlyeye

Can you hear the fuel pump in the tank running when you switch on the ignition? Very common.

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dave 27

Can you hear the fuel pump in the tank running when you switch on the ignition? Very common.

I'll try when i get back from work, from a little research i think it may be the problem.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,605 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Is it ticking over? As in, can you hear the starter motor trying to engage?

antodeco wrote: »
    Is it ticking over? As in, can you hear the starter motor trying to engage?

Yeah it tries to start but cant, you can hear the engine trying to turn like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Timing belt?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

If you change Passat for Audi that is exactly what happened to me word for word two years ago. You don't want to hear the ending.....................

bear1 wrote: »
    Timing belt?

Belt was only changed 20k miles ago so i wouldnt say so, im going to take it to a mechanics and see if they can shed light on it, i have a feeling its the fuel pump but wont know until i have it looked at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭Moanin

dave 27 wrote: »
    Belt was only changed 20k miles ago so i wouldnt say so, im going to take it to a mechanics and see if they can shed light on it, i have a feeling its the fuel pump but wont know until i have it looked at

Similar happened to my Passat back a few years ago. The tensioner stud broke in 2 even though it had been replaced only a few months previously Apparently it's common on the 2.0tdi!

I hope this hasn't happened to yours as it cost me a lot of money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,843 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Maybe try and check the belt if it's loose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Moanin wrote: »
    Similar happened to my Passat back a few years ago. The tensioner stud broke in 2 even though it had been replaced only a few months previously Apparently it's common on the 2.0tdi!

I hope this hasn't happened to yours as it cost me a lot of money

Ya and it's pretty common for the threads in the block to strip too. A real pain to fix if that happens.

• Advertisement

bear1 wrote: »
    Maybe try and check the belt if it's loose?

Yip that's how I checked mine.

Just pull off the plastic cover from around the belt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

So it was running, ran rough momentarily, then cut out and now will not restart. 2008 Passat, BXE engine? was there a bang?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭teediddlyeye

So it was running, ran rough momentarily, then cut out and now will not restart. 2008 Passat, BXE engine? was there a bang?

Op's is a 2 litre, probably a bkp or early common rail

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

08 2.0 diesel, correct but no bang haha!

It was completely dead there (couldnt lock the door even), so once i got the jump leads it gave it enough power to try and start but still cant start it, engine is trying to turn but wont start, cant even at least drive it to a mechanics now :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Op's is a 2 litre, probably a bkp or early common rail

Even says it :o

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,605 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Any chance you could try a bump start to see?

Also, 2 extra things to ask:

Drive through any large puddles recently?
    Hasnt been filled with incorrect fuel?

antodeco wrote: »
    Any chance you could try a bump start to see?

Also, 2 extra things to ask:

Drive through any large puddles recently?
    Hasnt been filled with incorrect fuel?

Dont think i went through any puddles that i can remember, i have driven for about a week and a half since last filling up so it isnt the wrong fuel!

Didnt try bump start..is that where you roll it backwards and pump the clutch once ignition is on?

Did you take plastic cover off timing belt so see if belt loosened?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭shaywest

If you change Passat for Audi that is exactly what happened to me word for word two years ago. You don't want to hear the ending.....................
    pleese do tell i have an 08 audi 2.7 tdi and exactly the same just happend to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

It was completely dead there (couldnt lock the door even)

If the door wouldn't lock, it must be an electrical issue, but I don't get how it had just started and ran minutes beforehand :confused:

Possibly a fuse/relay or even a loose or broken wire?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

My mother's Passat had this exact thing. Timing belt had come off.

I'd say put it up on dondeal as scrap for spares.

Advertisement