Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self Employment Payment is a Farce

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

They can't win. People complain for years (and rightly so) that there is no safety net for the self employed if the business fails. They fix this and they still get **** over it because it's not a self employment subsidy which it never claimed to be :confused:

because it's not a self employment subsidy which it never claimed to be :confused:

*cough* it might be. See my post above.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

OSI wrote: »
    I hope your business is in demolition OP.

A Charm School maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

ArtMonkey wrote: »
    Anyway, thanks for the kicks while I'm down everyone! I'm an honest decent (I shouldn't even have to say that, but since I've been accused of being on the black market, lying and being a failure it has to be stated) person just trying to earn my living and paying my taxes like everyone else, looking to make sense of a usual government f-up, and I'm being treated as though I don't make sense. Go ask Leo, because I'm as clueless as all of you about this shambolic scheme. No wonder this country is a mess, the first thing we do is turn on the vulnerable.

Well, the first thing the government do is give people with a failing business, money to tide them over until they wind up the business and find a job. That’s not a bad deal, all things considered. Seems pretty sensible to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ArtMonkey

OSI wrote: »
    I hope your business is in demolition OP.

Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,156 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Hold on second Monkey considering the week that's in it have you run into a problem with premilanary tax, you don't have to pay it, the fines are tiny. Does that solve your headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭emo72

So the OP applied to welfare, and they put her on an allowance/payment. Which is good because they are trying to pay their own way and that's laudable. Better to give to them than someone who would never want to work.

Then they put them on jobsbridge? Well that's just silly, that's not really joined up thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,252 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ArtMonkey wrote:
    EXACTLY. I have more than enough grounds to apply for disability, physically and mentally, but was hoping to maintain a little dignity and support myself in the only way I can, I outlined all my limitations before, they DO NOT CARE. They just refer you for things you're not capable of so they can say they ticked their boxes. They never even suggested disability because THEY DO NOT CARE. That is what the "I'm alright Jacks" don't realise. Though to be honest I think half of them are government shills.

Apply for da and ib, but be aware reviews may take months, and you may not be successful. You maybe able to apply for alternative payments such as supplementary welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Joe Schmo

Anyway, thanks for the kicks while I'm down everyone! I'm an honest decent (I shouldn't even have to say that, but since I've been accused of being on the black market, lying and being a failure it has to be stated) person just trying to earn my living and paying my taxes like everyone else, looking to make sense of a usual government f-up, and I'm being treated as though I don't make sense. Go ask Leo, because I'm as clueless as all of you about this shambolic scheme. No wonder this country is a mess, the first thing we do is turn on the vulnerable.

Whatever happens I wish you all the best in your business endeavours. it sounds like you are in a difficult position so hopefully everything works to your favour in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Well why did they award it to me knowing my full circumstances, and refer to it as job seekers for the self employed? This is what I'm talking about, it makes no sense!

Okay, your origonal post makes a bit more sense now,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

"ludicrous hours, massive stress and considerable financial risk" This is literally how every business starts. And they are not trying to incentivise me, they know my very particular set of circumstances, they are not there to help people, they are processing everyone through the same impersonal mill toward unsuited, underpayed employment to make the live register look better. Most of these supposed jobs they come up with are being fabricated by the state at more expense to the tax payer ultimately, than if they would be just honest about the shocking lack of real jobs in this country.

No, that is how some people try to make an unviable business work.

I'm not looking to get into the specifics of your situation as most (including the department) don't particularly care when it comes down to it, but it's simply the fact that a minority of people who try working for themselves will end up being able to adequately support themselves financially and provide a net positive contribution to the social welfare system.

I think you're probably under considerable stress as a consequence of a variety of factors, but none of us are responsible for that, ultimately. If there are supports available for which you qualify, by all means, use them. But don't conflate Leo Varadker and the goverment, the 'mess' of a country as you see it and all those other things with your own ability to get a business up and running without taxpayer investment in the form of benefits.

Plenty of us have worked for ourselves, struggled to make ends meet if at all, then finally had to swallow our pride/arrogance/egos/entitlement/chip-on-the-shoulder and get back to gainful employment. If you think you have what it takes to get up and work for yourself in a business that doesn't depend on benefits so you can afford to live and get on with things, there's likely no good reason at all why you can't go and work for someone else.

Education, training, experience will have an impact on either path of course, so just like you may not be qualified or experienced enough for some types of jobs, you also may not be adequately equipped to make self employment balance your own books in the short, medium or long term.

That's just a harsh (for most) reality and the sooner you face up to that, whether or not you get a payment/benefit to help you out now, you can't escape that reality. You'll need to stand on your own two feet if you want to work for yourself, and quickly, or patience and support will become exhausted by state agencies and mechanisms along with others around you.

Ask for help, but critically appraise the situation you're actively deciding to remain in and make the right decision, pride be damned.

Advertisement