Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vodafone Mobile Broadband

• 19-11-2019 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭

Moving house soon, to a new build in North Kildare and I am looking for options for broadband and I am thinking about going with Vodafone Mobile Broadband, specifically the package below. Just wondering what experiences people have had with this service. Was thinking of going for the 12 months contract but you only get a three day cooling off period, according to the agent in the Vodafone shop. Doesn't give me much time to test it out.

https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/mobile-broadband.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Berserker wrote: »
    Moving house soon, to a new build in North Kildare and I am looking for options for broadband and I am thinking about going with Vodafone Mobile Broadband, specifically the package below. Just wondering what experiences people have had with this service. Was thinking of going for the 12 months contract but you only get a three day cooling off period, according to the agent in the Vodafone shop. Doesn't give me much time to test it out.

https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/mobile-broadband.html

I take it you can't get any landline/fiber fixed service at the new build or it an interim measure?

I don't use Vodafone for my mobile broadband but if 300GB is sufficient for you per month then it should be as good if not better than any other mobile broadband as Vodafone have the least congested data network. All this assumes you can get a decent 4G signal at the premises.

Many others use a Three Pay As You Go sim for mobile broadband. €20 top up 28 days. It's also easy to trial as no contract. However, your speeds/usability will depend on how congested the local mast is, so with mobile broadband the secret really is trial and error.

Only other real option is Eir/GOMO but they're capped at 60GB/80GB respectively although I don't think Eir (like Three) enforce the cap.

So test the sim of your preference in a telephone at the premises. Do some speedtests on a Friday evening to give you an idea of likely minimal speeds. Get a decent mains powered mobile broadband router such as ones from Huawei/TP-Link/contract and you're away.

Final point is if you can avoid lengthy contracts, do! At least if the service goes terrible, or you can get fiber at the premises down the line, you're not stuck paying months for a service you don't need. A three day cooling off period is a bit severe from Vodafone. I wasn't aware of this.

Jim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Thank you for the response Jim.
    westyIrl wrote: »
    I take it you can't get any landline/fiber fixed service at the new build or it an interim measure?

Correct, spoke to Virgin and they are planning on rolling out in the area "early next year". We are moving in at the end of the month. Any idea how this compares to Virgin? I found Virgin to be very hit and miss speed wise in my current location.
    I don't use Vodafone for my mobile broadband but if 300GB is sufficient for you per month then it should be as good if not better than any other mobile broadband as Vodafone have the least congested data network. All this assumes you can get a decent 4G signal at the premises.

4G is available at the premises. Youtube would be our highest use of data. We don't use NetFlix etc. Hard to see us using 300GB per month, I would have thought.
    Final point is if you can avoid lengthy contracts, do! At least if the service goes terrible, or you can get fiber at the premises down the line, you're not stuck paying months for a service you don't need. A three day cooling off period is a bit severe from Vodafone. I wasn't aware of this.

Was shocked when I heard three days and I'll double check that. Not a fan of contracts at all but it is the best option in this instance, I believe. Just checked the T&Cs and the cooling off period is 14 days, apparently.
    1.11. If you enter a “distance” or “off-premises” contract with us under the EC (Consumer Information, Cancellation and Other Rights) Regulations 2013 you may have the right to cancel this Agreement within your cooling off period, which expires 14 days following receipt of your goods or in the case of services, 14 days from the date your Agreement starts. To exercise this right to cancel you must notify us before the expiry of your cooling off period and you can do this by calling 1907 or by using the cancellation form. This right is subject to us receiving the required notice, the payment of charges incurred by you prior to cancellation, and the return of all equipment provided to us. Where you have used the products or services supplied to you to avail of mobile services before the expiry of the cooling off period you will be liable for any diminished value of the products or services. You will only be liable for any diminished value of the goods resulting from the handling of goods beyond that necessary to establish their nature, characteristics and functioning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Berserker wrote: »
    Correct, spoke to Virgin and they are planning on rolling out in the area "early next year". We are moving in at the end of the month. Any idea how this compares to Virgin? I found Virgin to be very hit and miss speed wise in my current location.

Well be careful entering into a 12/18 month contract if there is a roll out scheduled. I'm rural so I don't have all that much experience with Virgin but generally their cable network is very good and would be much preferable to mobile broadband, all else being equal.

As I said if Three or Eir prepay scrapes it for you at the premises you don't need to enter any contract. Otherwise you would be going with Vodafone on contract.

Only other option is a Wireless ISP but that would be contract also.

If Virgin are planning installing that soon, do you know if Eir or SIRO are possibly rolling out fiber in the area also?

Does this show anything available to you? https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail

Vodafone is not a bad option at all and the 14 day cooling off does give you a reasonable play. I just don't want you to get it and then realise there's another better service available.

Jim

Advertisement