Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hard drive click of death

Options
  • 19-11-2019 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭

I believe have everything backed up on the drive earlier in the year however looking for peace of mind but ain't forking money for data recovery but also as a learning opportunity, That said all the stuff i've read online just ain't going to solve the problem

below is a video that matches my problem (not my hard drive in video), but its seems terminal.

Note i backed up earlier in the year as this hard drive is ancient and suspected the end was near so was relatively careful with essential data.

If anyone has ideas on how to solve would be great, may look into getting a donor drive if i can find the exact same model but at present not sure what would need replacing, my first guess would be the heads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Why would you bother if you have backups? Drives are not that expensive these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

don't do daily or month backups.
    its more peace of mind that nothing was important left on by mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Can one clone a faulty hdd onto a new hdd or is not possible as curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

greasepalm wrote: »
    Can one clone a faulty hdd onto a new hdd or is not possible as curious.

If you can read the data it can be cloned

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

OP, the video above looks like a bad head or PCB, both will have part numbers that you could source replacements from on eBay, data is still on the platters until physically destroyed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

to confirm it can't read so can't be cloned at this point.
    so will look to see if i can replace the heads. As said its more peace of mind to restore but also as a learning experience for DIY.

If its all goes to crap i ain't going to lose sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I will as i cant sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I would first try a replacement PCB ...... but the difficulty there will be getting one with the same firmware on board.

Actually, thinking on it, I would not even try, I would just ensure the platters were destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Even replacing the heads is an arduous task, you'd ideally need a 'head comb' and do the replacement under a laminar airflow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Post the model no of the drive, here
    eg seatgate LT j6700 ,it ll be on a label on the drive.
    i have about 10 old hardrives .
    No point in spending money if you have the dat backed up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement