Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powerline adaptor Network

Options
  • 19-11-2019 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this is a fairly basic question but I've never used homeplugs or the likes.

I'm looking to get BB / WiFi signal in a massive old house. BB comes in via the phoneline to a router supplied by the BB company but the WiFi signal barely makes it out of the room. The walls are 3-4 foot thick and the building is very large.

I've been doing some reading on homeplugs and it seems that I definitely would be able to send the BB signal over the electrical cables to at least one other location within the house.

How does it work if I want to send this to multiple locations within the house?

If I buy multiple kits (which seem to all be pairs), do I need to setup one of each pair beside the router or do I only need one device beside the router and then plugin the other devices as I need?

Has anyone any experience of the WiFi sets:
    https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/powerline/tl-wpa4220t-kit/

As I read it, I can setup one beside the router and one of the above anywhere I need Wifi.

EDIT: I will need to see how the circuits in the house are setup as if the upstairs sockets are on a different circuit I may be back to the drawing board.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've powerline around my house and they are awful handy, in my expierence they are brilliant and do a great job but I think they only work as fast as the slowest 1 on the network and if the different sockets are on different breakers they can be problematic, I haven't that problem but my house is relatively new. They all just work as network sockets, no need to pair or anything, they just work and if they don't you reset them and then they do.

If I was to be looking at a doing something around a big old house I'd be looking into setting up a mesh network, might work out a bit more expensive but it'll definitely be worth it in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

Clareman wrote: »

If I was to be looking at a doing something around a big old house I'd be looking into setting up a mesh network, might work out a bit more expensive but it'll definitely be worth it in the long term.

How would you go about doing that?

This house is ancient but the wiring, (I think) is modern.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

They do not need to be in pairs. As long as they are compatible you can install as many as you want and they will all self connect. I do not know about tplink but I have Devolo's all over my house which are really cheap and work really well. You an also get devices with built in Wifi that you just plug in, setup the wifi networks and you are good to go.

see https://www.amazon.co.uk/Powerline-Network-Homeplug-Wireless-Extenders/dp/B00C5IA4S8/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3VQ3A16P8E0MI&keywords=devolo&qid=1574245181&sprefix=devolo%2Caps%2C148&sr=8-4

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Alkers wrote: »
    How would you go about doing that?

This house is ancient but the wiring, (I think) is modern.

Something like this I think

https://blog.google/products/google-wifi/making-mesh-your-wi-fi

That's the Google version but there are others

Advertisement