Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Friday Build

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£119.00 @ Amazon UK)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Shadow Rock LP 51.4 CFM CPU Cooler (£33.58 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard (£126.97 @ CCL Computers)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£69.00 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£59.99 @ CCL Computers)
    Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4 GB Video Card (Purchased For £0.00)
    Case: Thermaltake Core V1 Mini ITX Desktop Case (Purchased For £28.98)
    Case Fan: ARCTIC P8 Silent 15.6 CFM 80 mm Fan (£5.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Case Fan: ARCTIC P8 Silent 15.6 CFM 80 mm Fan (£5.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Custom: NZXT Internal USB Hub (£14.99)
    Total: £464.49
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-19 19:35 GMT+0000

Better SSD & mobo.
    Removed superfluous 140mm & 92mm fans.
    Added internal fan hub.
    Changed CPU cooler to something that's just as good for gaming workloads.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Thank you so much for that, I'd looked at the MSI board as I know you've recommended them a lot here. Have had ASRock boards in my last few builds and always got on well with them, but I'm happy to make a switch. I was just wondering about the Cooler - I had thought to get one with a Horizontal fan to try and make sure that the airflow was consistent in one direction through the case and there's definitely room for one at 90mm like the Noctua (or a BeQuiet Pure Rock Slim) - do you think that will have any impact?

Any fans will overcome static airflow.
    If you want low noise, better to go with a 120mm downdraft than a 90mm tower cooler.

Sounds good and makes sense. Thanks again for the help.

So I started building one of these machines last night and ran into this:

496985.png

The 80mm case fans are about 1 mm too deep and are rubbing off the cpu heatsink. Not the end of the world, but the lesson has been learned to check clearance! Ordering some new fans now that are only 20mm deep (The Arctic fans are 25).

• Advertisement

What are the odds of that! 1mm, bloody hell.

Yea, it's literally 1 or 2mm of clearance that's needed. I've tested the sizing and fittings of pretty much everything else and it's all good thankfully (the back of the graphics cards have about 2mm clearance from the edge of the CPU cooler which is the only other "snug" fitting thing).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Rather than going with different (potentially worse) fans (thinner tends to equal noisier), why not just grab a stanley knife and shave off the 1-2mm around the frame?

It's not a bad idea, but the fan blades themselves are touching the cooler when I spin them, so probably not a runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Ah yeah, no go then, fair enough.

• Advertisement

A nice little positive note this morning - submitted a return request for the Arctic fans on Amazon and Arctic responded with "look, it's a load of hassle to do a return, so we're issuing a refund, but you can keep the fans" which is a really lovely gesture.

So in the interest of paying it forward, if someone needs some 80mm case fans, hit me up and I'll send it on :)

I've found Arctic customer service to be as good as their fans - they punch way above their weight.

So, got some Asaka 10mm deep fans designed for htpcs and carried on building the first pc. The fans are quiet and pushing a decent bit of air.

So,all good, finished everything tidied up the cables (the case is a delight to work with in this regard) booted up and it's waiting for an os install now. Time to start the second pc (my own one).

It was all going swimmingly till I had to install the cpu cooler... For some bizarre reason, the fittings were completely different from the other (same make and model and the same order from Amazon) and forced the cooler to be at 90 degrees to the other, thus making it impossible to fit. I guess it must be an older revision of it or something.

I am never ordering one of these horizontal coolers again, these PCs would have been finished 2 weeks ago if I hadn't picked this cooler. Its been a f[size]u[/size]cking nightmare tbh and I'm now way over budget and none of my family are likely to be getting Christmas presents.

The only half positive is that Amazon will allow me to return it and will refund me in the next couple of weeks.

So when I get some isopropyl to clean the chip, I'm going to have to settle for the stock cooler and hope for the best till the new year.

Sorry about the bad advice, didn't realize they'd be such hassle in your cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

The stock cooler is really not bad. There is a good balance to be struck between temp and max speed of fan too where it will do the job fine and be fairly quiet. especially when you also have a few case fans going.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Sorry about the bad advice, didn't realize they'd be such hassle in your cases.
    No apologies necessary at all friend, you're always such a great help for everyone here and it just so happens that on this one occasion things just didn't want to play ball. I lay all blame at the feet of BeQuiet for being awkward gits :D
    Homelander wrote: »
    The stock cooler is really not bad. There is a good balance to be struck between temp and max speed of fan too where it will do the job fine and be fairly quiet. especially when you also have a few case fans going.
    It's here beside me and not making much noise at all, the only thing I can hear is the several year olf 970's fans making a little bit of noise, but nothing I'll notice when I have something on the go.

Couple of days in, no hiccups at all. Had a minor networking thing where connection would drop for a second and reconnect, but it was long enough to pause downloads on things like Steam or XBox, but getting the official NIC and Wireless drivers from MSI's site and installing them made that problem go away. Despite all the stress, I'm very happy with it all now, thanks again for the help folks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement