Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil service monitoring time away from desk

Options
  • 19-11-2019 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone else works under these conditions or if I have any grounds to contact the union?

I work in quite a busy civil service office. Today during a staff meeting we were told that anytime away from our desks is being monitored and recorded on a spreadsheet (this has been going on without us knowing) and that we can access our own spreadsheets (I presume we can only see our own times). It was also said that we cannot take personal calls and if we wish to make one we must log out (we work flexi-time). So basically it is noted each time we leave our desks and the duration we are gone for.

This includes time spent in the bathroom, getting a drink of water, just taking a brief walk to stretch legs, our morning tea break etc. I just don't feel comfortable knowing that I'm being timed each time I sit on the toilet. I can't see how this improves productivity in anyway, if anything it makes us all less motivated and morale is at an all time low. Personally, I make a quick call (less than 3 minutes) to my childminder each day and I feel if anything knowing that my children are happy and well makes me more content at work, rather than worrying about them all day.

I suppose i just wanted to see if this happens in any other civil service offices around the country or if it is something that we can challenge.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

No experience of civil service.

But I've seen it in the private sector sometimes where someone decides to micro manage their staff...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micromanagement

...or where people are spending excessive amounts of time away from their assigned work. But that's better managed by tracking productivity in my opinion.

Id say I only see it where people are failing to track productivity and are quite poor at project management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

That said if you are in a unionised environment it's always worth having a chat with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Definitely get on to the union. That sort of monitoring is ridiculous and not standard in the civil service. Its lazy management at best. If your manager cant properly set targets and monitor compliance, they're the ones that need micro managing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I’ve seen similar tried before.

Micromanaging always ruins productivity and any sense of job satisfaction.

It’s extremely weak old school management.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,974 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

_Brian wrote: »

It’s extremely weak old school management.

Totally agree with this.

And it might be a manager being petty.

But it is worth asking yourself if there is someone who is taking the p*as, and whether a bit of peer pressure applied to them might convince management to back off.

Also, being managed to the minute is pretty common, but it's based on time logged into the system and call statistics, rather than sitting vs standing etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

civvyboots wrote: »
    Hello all,

I work in quite a busy civil service office. Today during a staff meeting we were told that anytime away from our desks is being monitored and recorded on a spreadsheet (this has been going on without us knowing) and that we can access our own spreadsheets (I presume we can only see our own times).
    Absolutely contact your union. If they have been recording data about you, without informing you beforehand about the data collection, they are breaching Data Protection laws and GDPR. Check to see if you can the spreadsheets of your colleagues, for a little extra spice.

This sounds like overreach by a local manager who really doesn't know what they are doing.

There is also a big question about how they could accurately do what they say they are doing. Unless they have somebody who's full-time job is to literally sit there and record each staff movement in or out, they're not recording it accurately. Does this person have full visibility across the entire office for the entire time? Who covers for this person when THEY go to the loo or to get a glass of water?

Because if they're not recording each movement, then the data isn't accurate. They could have logged you moving away from your desk, and missed your return to your desk - so your working time is recorded inaccurately as an absence.

You could also contact the national HR office for the Dept or organisation and see if they know and support what's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Sounds like very incompetent management. The manager doing it obviously has little to be doing if they can dedicate that much time to the exercise.

You say it was mentioned at a staff meeting? Did anyone question it? And what was the response if so?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Completely incompetent and downright poxy bad management. It actually angers me knowing out there, there is a manager being firstly paid money, public money to come up with this shît and secondly is sitting there with a stopwatch monitoring and noting people’s times.... should be fired out of a fûcking cannon, that’s the most productive thing that could happen to him..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Why is there a morning tea break? I hope you are clocking out for that?

Otherwise, you are getting paid twice for doing no work - during a break you're not legally entitled to - if you are building up flexitime and not clocking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

salonfire wrote: »
    Why is there a morning tea break? I hope you are clocking out for that?

Otherwise, you are getting paid twice for doing no work - during a break you're not legally entitled to - if you are building up flexitime and not clocking out.

We get a morning break and dont have to clock out. Only clock out for lunch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

I am over 30 years in the Civil Service and management level, and this is completely excessive monitoring.

Contact the Union immediately.

In the meantime, until this is sorted out...

Try to avoid core infringements. Be on time. Be vigiliant in clocking in/out correctly at lunchtime. Keep morning teabreak to the time allowed. Keep mobile phone on silent, and make/return any personal calls while clocked out at lunchtime.

If you need to go to the bathroom, go to the bathroom. You don't need permission for this, you're not in school.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

You are supposed to get up and walk once an hour or health reasons

Mad stuff.

The Civil Service are very quick to count up the minutes and clock watching when it comes to taking flexi time off work - potentially an 16 days leave per year.

When it goes the other way though, it's run to the Union.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I work in software. If this happened in my company, people would walk.

Mad stuff.

The Civil Service are very quick to count up the minutes and clock watching when it comes to taking flexi time off work - potentially an 16 days leave per year.

Productivity is measured by the work being done, not by the minutes spent at the desk. Flexitime is earned by being their beyond what is rostered for the day and many of us make it up by staying back to not leave work for the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Mad stuff.

Your civil service rant is nullified by the fact this **** wouldn’t be tolerated in the private sector either.

Mad stuff.

You know how flexi-time works, right? You work extra hours one day, so you can work fewer hours or no hours on another day. There is no loss of hours to the employer. The hours are just done on different days.

This particular case isn't about hours. It is about bad management - poor and probably illegal management practices.

civvyboots wrote: »
    It was also said that we cannot take personal calls and if we wish to make one we must log out (we work flexi-time).

Also please DO NOT clock out specifically to make / take a call as if its within core hours, you will incur a core infringement.

That's not to say you should spend excessive amounts of time on personal calls, but if you need to make or take a call, then do so and keep it to the minimum.

What is happening here is absolutely not standard across civil service offices.

Productivity is measured by the work being done, not by the minutes spent at the desk. Flexitime is earned by being their beyond what is rostered for the day and many of us make it up by staying back to not leave work for the next day.

I get that, but to take time off, productivity is not considered only hours and minutes.

Well done that manager, if people are using time to take additional days off, he has every right to see how much effort is going into that time.

It would not be acceptable in other work places, but other work places do not give flexi days off.

All this said though do you really need to take a call daily about the kids? Surely a no news is good news approach could be taken.

• Advertisement

You know how flexi-time works, right? You work extra hours one day, so you can work fewer hours or no hours on another day. There is no loss of hours to the employer. The hours are just done on different days.

This particular case isn't about hours. It is about bad management - poor and probably illegal management practices.

Taking tea breaks and making personal calls is not working.

I get that, but to take time off, productivity is not considered only hours and minutes.

Well done that manager, if people are using time to take additional days off, he has every right to see how much effort is going into that time.

It would not be acceptable in other work places, but other work places do not give flexi days off.

Flexitime is a privilege and not a right in the Civil Service and many people don't have access to it. Where work isn't being done it can be removed. Micro managing desk time isn't managing effort it's being lazy and condescending.

Other work places would have to pay overtime where an employee stays back and many would give TOIL rather than overtime. As for the Civil Service setting a standard of excellence in flexibility and family friendly policies, that's simply to be expected - lead by example. The grades that get Flexi are not exactly blessed in the remuneration department in the main.

The tea break, or 15 minute paid break, is required under the Organisation of Working Time Act.

I would be interesting to monitor levels of work related stress and related sick leave taken by the staff being managed by this person. I bet its way above average.

Managing performance does not mean treating adults like children, or recording how long they take to go to the toilet.

It's nothing to do with flexitime, which does also existing in large private employers, btw. It's nothing to do with taking additional days.

The manager indeed has a duty to ensure that staff at work are actually working, regardless of whether they are earning flexitime or not. Measuring the amount of time people spend in the toilet is not a good management practice. Even Dunnes have moved on from that afaik.

Mandatory breaks are required by law. Most employers, public and private, have a written policy allowing reasonable personal phone calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You need to fight back against people like this.

Make sure you are taking every and all breaks, on time to the second.

Get to the office 10 minutes early, just be sitting there fûcking around on your phone, jacket on, relaxed and happy ...until your shift is due to start. This will wind him up to fûck. You ARE in the work environment but relaxing... this won’t sit comfortably with his outlook of wanting to control but he can’t say a word..

Avoid all unnecessary conversations with him...he says.. “nice day out there”, ‘yeah ?’ is your answer, without eye contact or further engagement. Polite of course.... make things difficult for him, don’t take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Chaos Black

2 things:

Regarding the monitoring that is odd - haven’t heard of it in the CS before. I doubt the manager is doing it by stopwatch though- you could just have something count the time computers/IM are inactive/away. Unless it is all desk based work I don’t see what value it is. I’d show up as away a lot but I’m attending meetings and other work related things. If I was sitting at my desk all day long something is probably wrong! Also when at my desk I tend to work hard for periods of close to an hour and then I will get away from the computer to get water/coffee/toilet break as attention spans work that way..

Tea breaks are a CS thing - technically 15 mins in the morning. A lot of private sector around where I work appear to do the same even if it is not built into their contracts. I don’t tend to take too many and when I do it is probably close to half an hour (so technically breaking the rules..). If someone was monitoring it I’d point out that I don’t take them regularly and that they should concern themselves with my output.

Although some civil servants absolutely do take the piss with their tea breaks and not doing work when they should be. Underperformance should be dealt with individually but sometimes that does not happen which is a criticism of the CS.

This is happening because someone is taking the piss. Happened at my college. The rules were easy going until someone started to abuse them. Eight smoke breaks, four tea breaks and always on the phone with her sisters.

So now no one gets anything

• Registered Users Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

This is happening because someone is taking the piss. Happened at my college. The rules were easy going until someone started to abuse them. Eight smoke breaks, four tea breaks and always on the phone with her sisters.

So now no one gets anything

It’s up to management to speak to her and not to start timing people going for a piss because of her.

• Advertisement

This is happening because someone is taking the piss.

I would agree with this.

Someone has been taking advantage, but instead of the supervisor identifying them and managing that person's performance (or there may be more then one), they have decided to take this way of handling the situation for some bizarre reason.

Its very poor management skills, and long-term, won't work.

Advertisement