Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Debate! Who do you think won tonight's debate? - 19/November/2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,422 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Who is the chair...she is awful. Not getting answers from either of them and rushing on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

"Here's why you should trust me, Boris Johnson, a proven liar, a man who has been a liar all my life."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Danzy wrote: »
    He is much better debater but seems to be a debate that will not shift much opinion.

Corbyn doing well enough.

Comes across as overly scripted; "dither and delay", "oven-ready" and "Get Brexit done".

Neck and neck for me. Corbyn does come across as more sincere.

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    Comes across as overly scripted; "dither and delay", "oven-ready" and "Get Brexit done".

What?

Corbyn coming out with the same political lines now as he has for the past 5 years.

The problem with audiences is that it makes people believe "their side" is "winning".

It becomes less about facts and reality.

Johnson is DOMINATING.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Laughs to Johnson talking about truth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭CPTM

Johnson is a better debater but only has about 30 minutes of material.. I think he'll start going in circles now, and start using humour.

Edit.. actually, they'll probably both go around in circles now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,240 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Who is the chair...she is awful. Not getting answers from either of them and rushing on.

Julie Etchingham

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julie_Etchingham

CPTM wrote: »
    Johnson is a better debater but only has about 30 minutes of material.. I think he'll start going in circles now, and start using humour.

This is a terrible debate format.

The interviewer is rushing through everything.

The audience should have been warned NOT to clap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Corbyn is winning this.

Johnson is brutal. More than I thought he would be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭septictank

Johnston not coming across well at all, Corbyn slightly ahead. There's a lot of plants in the audience I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭liamtech

gooch2k9 wrote: »

roughly neck and neck

Corbyn should have hammered home the
    • Sea Border between the north and GB - business needing to fill in export forms

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

What?

Corbyn coming out with the same political lines now as he has for the past 5 years.

The problem with audiences is that it makes people believe "their side" is "winning".

Johnson is DOMINATING.

"Neck and neck" means "my side" is winning? Settle.

:D:D:D She just let Johnson off the hook again. She's useless

Jesus H Christ - Johnson deflects immediately from a question about personal integrity onto Brexit.

He didn't even make a token attempt to answer it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Wtf is ITV doing with this debate format. It's atrocious.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

That SF feel of the studio is just awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Way to rushed. nobody has landed a significant blow yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jogdish

Ya, I liked Julia, but she really needs to tell them to stop clapping, and kinda hammer them on answering some simple yes/no questions. Then again im silly and want:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpEmQeoo414

Wtf is ITV doing with this debate format. It's atrocious.

It's the worst "debate" format I've ever seen.

I knew, once that host was involved, we'd be subject to a ridiculous debate.

It's like she lacks total self-awareness of what is going on and what she should do / be saying, to both the audience and the interviewees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Saying to myself while Corbyn was talking, shake his ****ing hand, Johnson didn't miss the opportunity.

• Advertisement

Jesus H Christ - Johnson deflects immediately from a question about personal integrity onto Brexit.

He didn't even make a token attempt to answer it.

Corbyn answered directly on antisemitism in the LP and Johnson gets to deflect on his personal integrity. Disgraceful tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

What?

Johnson is DOMINATING.

Corbyn is stronger on the actual issues, but Johnson is a million times better as a debater. It's a game to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

That last bit was so fake and cringey, pathetic from itv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Julie Etchingham being far too overbearing in this. Probably mindful of how Emily Maitlis was totally ignored and disrespected during the Tory leadership debate and determined for a repeat not to happen, but I don't think she's got the balance right at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭liamtech

Simple - he doesn't have any personal integrity

-lied to the Queen about prorogation
    -lied about 31st October when he knew he had NO MAJORITY in HOC - dont make promises you cant keep
    -Lied about his relationship with jennifer arcuri
    -Lied during the referendum about 350million for the NHS

The list goes on

So yes ask him does he have personal integrity - and he will reply - YES - i will get Brexit Done

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

The Tory Press office has renamed its official Twitter account as "factcheckUK" for the purposes of this debate.

Goebbels-esque.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Crappy format. Poor moderator. Woeful candidates, it's almost like a slow bicycle race as to who can be worse.

Worst bit is that they are being let say anything they want, no fact checking happing or pushback from moderator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Clap clap clap. Somebody should have a word with the audience...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

ITV debate:
    Q: [To Johnson] You promised 40 times that we would be out of the EU on October. One of your staff once said you had betrayed everyone who worked with you.

Johnson says he was “open mouthed” listening to Corbyn.

Etchingham asks him to address the points she addressed to him.

Johnson tries to talk about Labour’s Brexit policy.

Etchingham tries again, and says the nastiness seems to be getting out of control.
    What is the point in this debate? He doesnt answer anything just nods at the question and says whatever waffle he feels like.

• Advertisement

dulpit wrote: »
    Crappy format. Poor moderator. Woeful candidates, it's almost like a slow bicycle race as to who can be worse.

Worst bit is that they are being let say anything they want, no fact checking happing or pushback from moderator.

Imagine the difference if someone like Andrew Neil was the moderator; actual probing of positions, rather than this miserable "keep-to-time" moderator who won't stop ruining things.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement