Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport sized photo - Limerick

• 19-11-2019 8:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭

I am looking to get Passport sized photos done.

I tried using PhotoMe machine in Tesco Coonagh but quality looks bad with glare on the eyes plus charging a whooping 8 euros, on top of that change is not given back.

Any recommendations please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I too used that waste of money in Arthurs Quay and they werent good enough. Ended up taking a selfie and it worked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,272 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Passport Office is gone very fussy around photos now especially if applying online.

McCabe's Pharmacy in the Crescent SC took my father's for €6, they will give a digital copy via email also. First ones were rejected by the Passport Office because he wore his glasses(he wears them all the time) so he went back to McCabe's and they took new photos and didn't charge him the second time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

+1 for McLove’s selfie suggestion .

Last couple of times I needed a passport size photo I took a selfie against a cream wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

Whelans Cameras in O'Connell Street or Scanlons Pharmacy in St James Court.

Bicyclette wrote: »
    Whelans Cameras in O'Connell Street or Scanlons Pharmacy in St James Court.

Whelans dont do this anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Thank you all.

Is Raheen Pharmacy, in Courtfields any good? It's near to me.

Otherwise I will try Mccabes in Crescent (2nd nearest to me)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Newmans in Hogan's Chemist on the top of William St

Thanks everyone.

I got it done at Mccabes in Crescent Shopping Centre.
    They charged 10 euros and provided 4 printed and an digital copy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭Souness

O'Sullivan's pharmacy on O'Connell ave

phog wrote: »
    Newmans in Hogan's Chemist on the top of William St

I went to Newmans today to get a passport size photo for an ID Card for a training cert, he charged me €7 and gave me 8 photos, I think he double printed the usual 4 by accident and threw them in for me.

• Advertisement

It appears I need more than 4 photos.
    I have digital copy, where do you recommend I could print the passport sized photos? I have seen some machines in boots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

I have digital copy, where do you recommend I could print the passport sized photos? I have seen some machines in boots.

Why not just apply online and upload the photo? Last time I renewed... I did it all online?

If it's for renewing a passport then go the online option - cheaper and quicker and no need to get form signed by a garda.

If you need to print then I'd still recommend Newman's they have a few machines that you can print your own photos on using various storage methods to connect to their printers

Thank you,

I am actually travelling before Christmas and need the passport urgent, therefore I need to visit passport office in Cork in person and they have this facility of getting passport done in 0-5 days
    If it's for renewing a passport then go the online option - cheaper and quicker and no need to get form signed by a garda.

If you need to print then I'd still recommend Newman's they have a few machines that you can print your own photos on using various storage methods to connect to their printers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,374 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

+1 for McLove’s selfie suggestion .

Last couple of times I needed a passport size photo I took a selfie against a cream wall.

I think for clarity selfies aren’t okay, a photo against a wall is fine but a selfie has the wrong orientation and isn’t acceptable. I know you probably said selfie meaning someone took the pic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

Newmans closed a few years now

Someone went to Newmans yesterday and I believe it's open??
    See quoted msg below.

"I went to Newmans today to get a passport size photo for an ID Card for a training cert, he charged me €7 and gave me 8 photos, I think he double printed the usual 4 by accident and threw them in for me."
    sioda wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

salmocab wrote: »
    I think for clarity selfies aren’t okay, a photo against a wall is fine but a selfie has the wrong orientation and isn’t acceptable. I know you probably said selfie meaning someone took the pic.

No, I didn’t. I took the photo myself hence the use of the word selfie.

No, I didn’t. I took the photo myself hence the use of the word selfie.

If you use the camera facing you on a phone then your photo is the wrong way around, you may have gotten away with it but it’s not allowed and as I said for clarity they aren’t allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

If you use the camera facing you on a phone then your photo is the wrong way around, you may have gotten away with it but it’s not allowed and as I said for clarity they aren’t allowed.

Most phones these days flip it automatically and they can be just as good looking to 99% of people as a rear camera produces.

• Advertisement

Most phones these days flip it automatically and they can be just as good looking to 99% of people as a rear camera produces.

It’s not the quality, I was just pointing out the passport office expressly says no selfies. I wasn’t trying to be dickish or anything but for passport applications things need to be perfect or you could store up trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Micheal Martin's will do a very nice passport photo. Potentially overkill but you'll be presenting it to people for the next 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

It’s not the quality, I was just pointing out the passport office expressly says no selfies. I wasn’t trying to be dickish or anything but for passport applications things need to be perfect or you could store up trouble.

I didn't think you were being dickish. The passport office is no doubt assuming front facing cameras are 6680 VGA quality (see attached below) or when taken everyone will use filters or photoshop. No doubt they are unaware the people can do all these things too with photos taken the rear camera

Bugging me all morning not remembering so I tested a whole box of my old Nokia 3G phones with front cameras. From the first 6680 (2004 first Nokia with front cam) to the N8, C5 (2010/11 almost last phones before the Microsoft partnership/sale ) and they all flip to the right orientation.

No i took a selfie and it worked.

Thank you,

I am actually travelling before Christmas and need the passport urgent, therefore I need to visit passport office in Cork in person and they have this facility of getting passport done in 0-5 days

My daughter orders her passport renewal online on a Monday the passport arrived at her house the following Thursday
    sioda wrote: »

Newmans on William St closed but the business transferred to Hogan's Pharmacy on Upr William St.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

My daughter orders her passport renewal online on a Monday the passport arrived at her house the following Thursday

Newmans on William St closed but the business transferred to Hogan's Pharmacy on Upr William St.
    Ah forgot about that my bad

In my case it is actually a First time application, which takes much longer than renewal. But thanks for the heads up

Advertisement