Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Varadkar Régime looking to make Incest legal

Options
  • 19-11-2019 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭

It’s buried away in paragraph 13 of Colm Keena’s report in the Irish Times today, which doesn’t really do this news justice. Another blow for liberty is about to be struck against the repression and cruelty of Catholic Ireland:

“The commission will also look at the law on incest, which criminalises vaginal sexual intercourse between blood relatives.

Consenting intercourse between an adult brother and sister, even if there is no risk of pregnancy, is a crime. “One might question if such conduct should be criminal.””

Proper order, too. For too long Irish brothers and sisters (and, one assumes, brothers and brothers and sisters and sisters) have had to hide their lust for each other away, fearful of the knock of the crozier on the door from interfering religious busybodies wanting to prosecute them for just showing that little bit too much sibling love.

https://gript.ie/finally-irish-law-reform-commission-looks-at-making-incest-legal/?fbclid=IwAR3HlePqcy8KwLb15Z0gLLMJRUEY_mb-sn9kTYXp5U5t2dbn1u2yDKapMlA

I suppose I need to be sent to a reeducation centre if I do not agree with this.:(

I am not really religious but the though we might be living in the last days does cross my mind.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I'd love to see the state of the f##kers lobbying for this!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

I saw that and of course initially one could do a wtf take, but it may be moreso that the act can be prosecuted under different statutes so the incest law might be superfluous. I dont think its about making it "legal" as such. But then again, Im not sure, perhaps the intention is to take one of the ultimate "who are we to judge" stances. One persons shame is another persons kink, that kind of attitude...dunno. Moral relativism is de rigeur these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

I'd love to see the state of the f##kers lobbying for this!!!

I wanna see their sisters.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Any other source? Maybe one that's not from the "Life Institute's" ultra-catholic Niamh Uí Bhriain?

The same crowd were trying to convince people that the government were trying to force children under four to be taught about masterbation. All lies https://www.thejournal.ie/sex-education-bill-masturbation-dail-4637774-May2019/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

"The game the whole family can play" - although we always preferred Trivial Pursuit.

Not sure I'd trust that 'Gript' website. John McGuirk is involved and he's even more dodgy than Leo Sherlock.

• Advertisement

Pfft. This give us another source, thats too religious, is a lame response. The facts are as reported, the Law Reform Commission will consider the incest laws, laws that have been considered before. If the facts are facts who cares where they are reported. A lot of issues are not touched by regular outlets because they are considered controversial or not on program. Anyway the source posted links to the Irish Times in its first sentence. That good enough for yiz?

Not sure I'd trust that 'Gript' website. John McGuirk is involved and he's even more dodgy than Leo Sherlock.

Him as well? Jaysus it's opusdei.ie

Gynoid wrote: »
    Pfft. This give us another source, thats too religious, is a lame response. The facts are as reported, the Law Reform Commission will consider the incest laws, laws that have been considered before. If the facts are facts who cares where they are reported. A lot of issues are not touched by regular outlets because they are considered controversial or not on program. Anyway the source posted links to the Irish Times in its first sentence. That good enough for yiz?

Reported by a site with a proven track record of lying about this kind of thing. One run by religious fanatics and fundamentalists.

Reported by a site with a proven track record of lying about this kind of thing. One run by religious fanatics and fundamentalists.

Not my point. If it is factual I could care less if it scrawled on someones fat naked arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I don't think sex between consenting adults should be illegal even if they are closely related.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,606 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Well done, you managed to find a source equally as as disreputable as theliberal. Takes some doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Not my point. If it is factual I could care less if it scrawled on someones fat naked arse.

Given who the source is, the arse would require a good deal of shaving for that to happen.

Odhinn wrote: »
    Given who the source is, the arse would require a good deal of shaving for that to happen.

How do you know? ;)

So you'd have no issue with a father fcuking his daughter?

Well, you know, if they really, reeeeallly lurve each other....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

How do you know? ;)

Informed nightmares.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I said it shouldn't be a criminal offence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Gross. No skin off my nose what people want to get up to, but pregnancy would be bad, and litigating that sex is ok but pregnancy is illegal gets into very murky waters very quickly, unless forced abortion or medication is taken to be acceptable.

So what then - say gay sex or sex where one partner is definitely infertile is legal? This is all nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Apparently centuries ago it was quite common, incest that is

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/should-society-criminalise-intimate-relations-between-people-in-their-mid-teens-1.4082150
    The commission will also look at the law on incest, which criminalises vaginal sexual intercourse between blood relatives.

Consenting intercourse between an adult brother and sister, even if there is no risk of pregnancy, is a crime. “One might question if such conduct should be criminal.”

Immediate massive yuck factor for me, but I haven't thought about it enough to work out if I have anything against it other than that massive yuck factor.

At first examination, my standard position that by and large, consenting adults should be free to do as they choose, seems to apply.

The bit about pregnancy seems strange though. Are they considering legalising it only when pregnancy is not a possibility? That seems almost incredibly messy to legislate for. But that might not be what the quoted extract actually means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

It's legal in France, Spain, Portugal, the Netherlands, Australia, most of Eastern Europe, and most of South America.

You don't hear about too many brother/sister couples, though, outside of Game of Thrones.

Laws that aim to prevent certain consenting adults from having sex — such as Ireland's law that criminalized gay male intercourse up to 1993 — are difficult to enforce and routinely ignored. So what's the point in even trying?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Him as well? Jaysus it's opusdei.ie

I think that all laws concerning consenting adults and sexual relations should be abandoned. And I’m a right wing conservative Catholic .
    Progressive liberals want to **** whomever they want whenever and wherever. I say, let them. Just get on with it so we can be spared the arguments for how good it is for society if brothers and sisters and uncles and nieces, and brothers and brothers etc are just allowed to get it on without fear of arrest. Have at it. I’m sure it’ll all work out just great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

Even products of incest will find women whereas magnificent men like us rot in loneliness :(

Love is love.

eviltwin wrote: »
    I said it shouldn't be a criminal offence

Sometimes acts are designated as offences to signify clearly or strongly what is acceptable. Eg littering is an offence, or smoking on public transport. Some people may not be as bright as yourself or meself, and laws prohibiting certain behaviours like sex, even apparently consenting, with your child, parent or sibling may function as an inhibiting mechanism where people might not have all the brains in the world.
    Just one possible justification for it being a criminal offence.

Sometimes acts are designated as offences to signify clearly or strongly what is acceptable. Eg littering is an offence, or smoking on public transport. Some people may not be as bright as yourself or meself, and laws prohibiting certain behaviours like sex, even apparently consenting, with your child, parent or sibling may function as an inhibiting mechanism where people might not have all the brains in the world.
    Just one possible justification for it being a criminal offence.

Who gets to say what’s acceptable or not?
    You have no right to make that judgement.
    You’re also suggesting that people of limited capacity be prevented from having sex with whomever they choose. That’s discriminating against people living with special needs.
    If you can act on impulse in your choice of sexual partner then do can every other consenting adult.
    End of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,438 ✭✭✭✭Victor

First off, child abuse is child abuse. Cases involving minors should be treated like other cases involving minors, possibly with some stricter rules.
    eviltwin wrote: »
    I don't think sex between consenting adults should be illegal even if they are closely related.

I think there needs to be restrictions where there is a power imbalance or presumption of power imbalance between the parties, e.g. a parent and child.

Similarly, where there is a risk of pregnancy with closely-related parents, there should be restrictions. Where the female is over, say, 50 years of age, this shouldn't really be a problem.

Outside this, criminalising things would seem harsh. It seems the maximum sentence is life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_of_incest#Republic_of_Ireland

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,592 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

And this is the second thread I need to review

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,592 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Clickbait thread title quoting dodgy source - I'm not intending re-opening this one

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement