Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum Tyre Width on Rim

Options
  • 19-11-2019 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi - Looking for some advice on tyre size.

I have a Specialized Turbo Vado ebike that I commute on. I was thinking about some Schwalbe Winter spiked tyres this year. I have used them in the past on another regular commute bike and they were great if it's icy. The thing is I still have those ones as they don't get a lot of use. They are however 40-622 or 28x1.5 and I was wondering if they would fit on the Vado rim. The normal stock tyre on that rim is a 47-622 ish. They would probably only be on for a couple of weeks and that would save some money. If not I'll sell them and buy some bigger ones but would prefer not to have to! Is there any rim width dimension I need to worry about? Is there a rule of thumb or real rule as to what width tyre would fit on what rim. I know a big tyre will blow a small rim but what about the other way around? Thoughts?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I don't see that level of detail on the specialized site, best you can do is grab a calipers and measure the inner bead then multiply that by 1.45 for a bare bare minimum according to Sheldon B.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭soram

ED E wrote: »
    I don't see that level of detail on the specialized site, best you can do is grab a calipers and measure the inner bead then multiply that by 1.45 for a bare bare minimum according to Sheldon B.

Cheers. I did also look at the specialized site and found nothing. Should have thought of looking at Sheldon! By inner bead do you mean the inner rim width?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah thats it.

bead-seat-diameter.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The simplest solution is if they look like they will fit, put them on and see. You haven't given rim details but I imagine that unless really weird, it will hold them, just appear very narrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭soram

Yep - that is what I will do. I don't have any rim details - there is nothing on the rim nor on the Specialized website unfortunately so I'll need to measure them. Was just wondering if there might be anything easy to look for.

• Advertisement
Advertisement