Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GIYING - where to start

Options
  • 19-11-2019 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I'm hoping to start next Spring. I read that you have to wait until the frost is gone from the ground so just wondering is there anything I need to do to prepare in the mean time.

Was hoping to start with strawberries as my toddler loves them and want to get him involved.

Also, I have a dog so I'd probably need to buy a little green house of some sort? Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you don't necessarily have to wait if there's ground prep that can be done, e.g. in creating the structure of beds, etc.
    you could plant garlic now too, for example.
    what's your garden like currently, and have you picked out where you can grow stuff? e.g. planning out, avoiding growing things under north facing walls, etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,433 ✭✭✭✭looksee

With a toddler and a dog (especially the latter) you might consider concentrating all your growing in raised beds - raised enough to discourage the dog - or fence off a part of the garden. Not sure about the link between a greenhouse and the dog?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

looksee wrote: »
    With a toddler and a dog (especially the latter) you might consider concentrating all your growing in raised beds - raised enough to discourage the dog - or fence off a part of the garden. Not sure about the link between a greenhouse and the dog?

Guessing the dog won't be given keys to the greenhouse :P

We've a couple of dogs and a couple of cats and while fencing areas off works ok, the simpler solution where possible is go for fruit that crops higher up. e.g Raspberries rather than strawberries and maybe a couple of fruit trees and bushes. I love fresh peas but keeping the cats out of the raised beds is a lot of work and a fair bit of ugly chicken wire.

Advertisement