Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lazy lurcher

• 20-11-2019 1:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭

Looking for advice on lurcher energy levels. I’ve had my lurcher for just over 3 months now. I had heard they can be low energy but she sleeps an awful lot.
    I used to go running in the late evening but that has now turned into a run walk. Literally 5 minutes of my slow running and she’s wreaked. Will walk comfortable enough beside me for the rest of the way but then passes out when we get home.
    Gave up on morning walks as soon as she has been taking out and done her business she wants home straight away then gets her breakfast sleeps until it’s time to go out for toilet again.
    She doesn’t really seem to play. Toys have no interest to get except the kong and she’s figure out how to get the treats out with minimal effort.
    Even waking her up to get out for her bedtime pee can be painful and she does have to go but then straight back in maybe a little burst around the hall for a min and into bed until around 7 the next day. I don’t have a proper back she can run around outside so I’m worried she’s getting lethargic. Should I be making her walk in the mornings or when I’m on my lunch from work?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

RubyGlee wrote: »
    Looking for advice on lurcher energy levels. I’ve had my lurcher for just over 3 months now. I had heard they can be low energy but she sleeps an awful lot.
    I used to go running in the late evening but that has now turned into a run walk. Literally 5 minutes of my slow running and she’s wreaked. Will walk comfortable enough beside me for the rest of the way but then passes out when we get home.
    Gave up on morning walks as soon as she has been taking out and done her business she wants home straight away then gets her breakfast sleeps until it’s time to go out for toilet again.
    She doesn’t really seem to play. Toys have no interest to get except the kong and she’s figure out how to get the treats out with minimal effort.
    Even waking her up to get out for her bedtime pee can be painful and she does have to go but then straight back in maybe a little burst around the hall for a min and into bed until around 7 the next day. I don’t have a proper back she can run around outside so I’m worried she’s getting lethargic. Should I be making her walk in the mornings or when I’m on my lunch from work?

Well I suppose it depends on numerous factors ..
    lots of dogs can be lazy but sleeping a lot can also be a habit / or symptoms of other things!

What age is she?

What’s her diet like? What are you feeding her?

When you bring her for a walk is she cold? Does she wear a coat?

Any other symptoms/ changes you’ve noticed?

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Has she been checked over a vet lately and has vet rules out physical reasons for her tiredness?

How old is she and how long do you own her?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

I'd have her checked over by the vet to make sure that there are no health reasons, but it might be a matter of working up her exercise tolerance - they're like us, you can't just jump in to a quick 5k run without conditioning.

If she's been lazing about a house or kennel, she might not be fit for much exercise and you might need to build her up to it.

Cocker's right too - it's COLD right now if she has a thin coat. My foster greyhound will shiver on a cold day if we're standing around, even with his coat on. She might need a jacket for cold weather.

On the toys, she might never have learned to play. I'm busy trying to teach my older tog to play - the main thing I did was experiment with different toys - she has a rabbit skin tug now that she's nuts for. I don't leave it lying around and I only take it down for short play times so she isn't bored of it.

3 months is no time, but if she leans more towards the sighthound half then she might just be lazy. I'd embrace it and be glad you don't have a dog demanding miles of walks every day in the rain and mud. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭RubyGlee

Thanks for replies. I’m relation to food she’s just moved onto concept for life sensitive. She was on ALDI dog nuts when we got her and I’m still mixing some of that in when she is really refusing to eat. it’s been a few weeks she’s not really liking the change but that’s expected.
    She is getting more treats lately though for training purposes. Have to say that’s going great she’s a clever girl...inside..outside not so much but getting there.
    Actually had her at the vet 2 weeks ago he thinks she’s doing well, good weight and she was in great form with her, but there was a cat. Strange cats will definitely get her excited
    ETA she’s around 3 exact age unknown, she was found in an awful state straying and appears due to injury’s and scars she had gotten into fights with other dogs. She can be very nervous of other dogs if they bark and come towards her but is fine with my family members dogs when we visit.

Thanks for replies. I’m relation to food she’s just moved onto concept for life sensitive. She was on ALDI dog nuts when we got her and I’m still mixing some of that in when she is really refusing to eat. it’s been a few weeks she’s not really liking the change but that’s expected.
    She is getting more treats lately though for training purposes. Have to say that’s going great she’s a clever girl...inside..outside not so much but getting there.
    Actually had her at the vet 2 weeks ago he thinks she’s doing well, good weight and she was in great form with her, but there was a cat. Strange cats will definitely get her excited
    ETA she’s around 3 exact age unknown, she was found in an awful state straying and appears due to injury’s and scars she had gotten into fights with other dogs. She can be very nervous of other dogs if they bark and come towards her but is fine with my family members dogs when we visit.

ok so you've had her a short ish amount of time 3 months and she's 3 ish...

well firstly I suppose you don't / cant know her energy levels until she is well settled in so I personally wouldn't worry too much now.

I would make sure she has a good coat / jacket when you bring her out to stop the rain / cold etc I know when it got colder outside my guy liked to lazy in his bed more... a heat / comfort thing

you also mentioned you like to go running? like how far? some dogs aren't build for running long distances etc.. from what I understand (and I could be wrong) greyhounds like to sprint then relax :) they may not be long term stamina running dogs...

It can / will take time to build up her stamina ... start slow and build up - same with humans - also I'd add protein to her meal... grilled chicken breast / tinned sardines etc will help

you also mentioned old injuries... she may have some small joint pain... is she slow to rise out of her bed? Try adding some fish oils to her diet - great for joints and overall dogs health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭RubyGlee

Actually she mite be cold. She has a high vis rain coat but it’s not fur lined. I’ll order one today

Actually she mite be cold. She has a high vis rain coat but it’s not fur lined. I’ll order one today

Try the chilli dog coats but make sure you get the longer ones for Greystones they are fab x

I think they are called long and lean ... L&L code

https://www.happytails.ie/products/chilly-sweater

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

ahem....where's the picture of her???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭jellybear

I have a 4 and a half year old lurcher and he is LAZY as sin for the most part but does have his moments where he does mad zoomies in the garden or plays with a ball but he's usually wrecked after 10-15mins. I find for those 10-15 mins he's full of energy and releases it quickly. He mostly lazes on the couch for the day and will often take himself up to bed before us in the evening! He definitely feels the cold so a good coat is essential! Even at night he's under the duvet...yes, he's spoiled rotten!! In relation to walks, Milo often 'statues'. This is where he'll stop, dig his heals in and not move but a high pitched "Come on, come on!" usually works.
    They are gorgeous dogs and incredibly intelligent!! Enjoy your new fur baby!!

Advertisement