Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Value Coal In Cork City And Surrounds?

Options
  • 20-11-2019 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I moved to the city last year and brought my old coal and bunker with me.
    But it’s time to restock and I’m wondering where is the best value in and around the city.
    I’m looking for standard coal, ie, the rough cut smokey coal, not those smokeless pebbles that are formed from dust.

Ideally collection only (as “free delivery” is normally priced in) and if there are any Black Friday sales, even better.
    I assume I can expect to pay that bit less just outside the city than within?

(I used to pay €100 for 6 bags).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Gautama wrote: »
    Hi,

I moved to the city last year and brought my old coal and bunker with me.
    But it’s time to restock and I’m wondering where is the best value in and around the city.
    I’m looking for standard coal, ie, the rough cut smokey coal, not those smokeless pebbles that are formed from dust.

Ideally collection only (as “free delivery” is normally priced in) and if there are any Black Friday sales, even better.
    I assume I can expect to pay that bit less just outside the city than within?

(I used to pay €100 for 6 bags).

Md o shea in ballincollig have a sale this sunday. 10 bags of 40kg polish coal for 155. Collection only

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

physioman wrote: »
    Md o shea in ballincollig have a sale this sunday. 10 bags of 40kg polish coal for 155. Collection only

Here is the leaflet

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

I don't think you can buy smokey coal in the city, burning it has been banned since 1995.
    Also banned in most of the surrounding areas, see here for details: https://www.corkcoco.ie/en/air-quality/cork-low-smoke-zone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

any columbian coal around

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Gautama

Are coal bags labelled “bituminous” and “non-bituminous”?

• Advertisement

Just back from my local fuel depot, less than a mile from the gaff.
    “What type coal do you sell?”, I asked.
    “What are you looking for?”

Job done!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Cork city has incredibly bad air quality (search this) and you want to burn smokey coal.
    Thank you from the bottom of my lungs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭087brain21

i get my coal from the Northern Ireland less carbon tax and cheaper than a lot of sellers who sell in bulk down here once got quoted by a whole seller few years back of €40 delivery charge alone just to truck it across the city

http://www.kosyking.com/

Now they used to be cheaper but you get your smoky coal to the door no hassle and pay with a revolut card for a better rate in £ or you can pay in euro whichever is easier for yourself

3 business days for delivery time usually and cheaper than €40

• Advertisement

087brain21 wrote: »

Now they used to be cheaper but you get your smoky coal to the door no hassle 0

Why do you think smoky coal was banned from the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

OP, I think it's appalling to be seeking to buy and use smoky fuel in our city. Have a think about it...

Loire wrote: »
    OP, I think it's appalling to be seeking to buy and use smoky fuel in our city. Have a think about it...

I remember the smog in the city in the 80s. It was bad.
    It takes a real "I'm alright Jack, couldn't give a fcuk about anyone else" attitude to be doing this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Remember the air on a still winters night you would nearly choke with the smell of smoke coming from chimneys. I know smoky coal is banned now but still probably lots of people using it.

OK.
    Hmmmmm... I think you’re sanctimonious.

OK.

I get how you're inconsiderate, but how exactly am I sanctimonious?

OK.

Really?
    Do explain.
    What you are doing is mind numbingly selfish. It's not sanctimonious to point this out.

Why do you think smokey coal was banned in the city?

I get how you're inconsiderate, but how exactly am I sanctimonious?

How? Well, try phoning 1850 715 815, and talk to Joe!
    You’ll find such kindred spirits you’ll soon realise how sanctimonious you are.

Really?

Why do you think smokey coal was banned in the city?

For the City council and councillors to be seen to be green.
    Just like the introduction of water charges.

But it seems these green issues are a la carte for the public.

Many inconsiderate people chose to ignore the water charges.
    I choose to ignore the house coal ban.

How? Well, try phoning 1850 715 815, and talk to Joe!
    You’ll find such kindred spirits you’ll soon realise how sanctimonious you are.

You still haven't pointed out how I am being sanctimonious....so kindly either back it up or have the decency to remove your post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Its been bad the past few days, and I've seen it with neighbours chimneys... due to the conditions the smoke is coming up the chimney but then rapidly sinking to ground level. That'll make hay of any air quality.

Its windier now so I imagine things will improve.

You still haven't pointed out how I am being sanctimonious....so kindly either back it up or have the decency to remove your post

I couldn’t be arsed :)

Its been bad the past few days, and I've seen it with neighbours chimneys... due to the conditions the smoke is coming up the chimney but then rapidly sinking to ground level. That'll make hay of any air quality.

Its windier now so I imagine things will improve.

Rest assured that if nobody EVER burned ANY house coal then EVERYONE would live FOREVER!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Rest assured that if nobody EVER burned ANY house coal then EVERYONE would live FOREVER!!!

Good one ...

I couldn’t be arsed :)
    I can't say I'm really surprised given what you have posted thus far. But if that's how you want to portray yourself that's your prerogative.

I think it's clear from comments like this that you could have tried just a little harder in school, but nevertheless, it's never to late I guess.

It is now almost 30 years since smoky coal was banned in Dublin. That led to an immediate improvement in air quality and public health.

According to the Asthma Society of Ireland, 8,200 deaths have been prevented in Dublin since the ban was introduced in 1990.

The ban has since been extended to Cork City

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/views/ourview/smoky-coal-ban-extend-the-prohibition-nationwide-968477.html

I remember spending a day in Dublin in 1988, and coming home with my clothes and nostril hairs blackened by the smog.
    Cork City has never been like this.

I think it's clear from comments like this that you could have tried just a little harder in school, but nevertheless, it's never to late I guess.

Leaving Cert, degree, 1st hons post grad, I’ve enough school.

BTW, it’s “never too late”, not “never to late”.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

, and coming home with my clothes and nostril hairs blackened by the smog.

Any effect on the brain?

mordeith wrote: »
    Any effect on the brain?
    Leaving Cert, degree, 1st hons post grad...

!!!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies, got my house coal in the City. Don’t bother to PM me to find out where.

I’ve learned two things from this thread:

* There’s a ban on house coal in Cork City

* This Cork City forum has a serious issue with smug.
    Far more than Cork City has an issue with smog.

Advertisement