Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incest in Ireland

Options
  • 20-11-2019 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭

***i have cleared this with a mod***

The Law Reform Commission is to review the current laws in Ireland regarding incest.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/should-society-criminalise-intimate-relations-between-people-in-their-mid-teens-1.4082150?mode=amp&fbclid=IwAR1QdIRiKHouEoe-8sfOJ6FEIqCx2o_cpbpECzijEFOaVDUjB7vhapUAtBM
    The commission will also look at the law on incest, which criminalises vaginal sexual intercourse between blood relatives.

Consenting intercourse between an adult brother and sister, even if there is no risk of pregnancy, is a crime. “One might question if such conduct should be criminal.”

What do we think?

On the one hand i would be in favour of as few laws as possible, on everything.

On the other, what's the advantage to legalising incest?

Also, the article suggests that its only vaginal intercourse that is criminalised, so at present a father and son can go at it no holes barred.

Is the legalisation of incest just an extension of the freedoms won via the sexual revolution of the last 50 years or is it just another layer of depravity as Rome slowly burns?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I'm not concerned.

I have no sisters and i just don't fancy my brother!:eek:

It seems fúcking crazy to be honest, but i think i have lost all touch with the modern world and it's everyday insanity- i may as well be 200 years old for all the sense it makes to me anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Also, the article suggests that its only vaginal intercourse that is criminalised, so at present a father and son can go at it no holes barred.

I see what you did there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Bob Harris wrote: »
    I see what you did there.

it wasnt subtle in fairness

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

I really can't get my head around this at all. I mean Jesus, how the hell can incest not be wrong? This seems like a slippery slope to me. There's a massive problem in London with children being born into the Pakistani community with such severe birth defects that they die and that's because of massive inbreeding with close relatives. That's not a dig at minorities it's a simple fact that doesn't get a lot of attention. What's next? Daddy raping his daughters isn't rape because it's a special relationship? Or maybe marrying that little girl isn't pedophilia because hey, it's a cultural thing? We should be really concerned about this. It's the 21st century not the Dark Ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

it wasnt subtle in fairness

Incestual buggery never is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Andreas77

Is normal to fantasize about such things if you have a sister, I have none, and often thought about it

I don't think I would be encouraging anyone to give it a go but equally what are we supposed to do if it is between consenting adults? Bring the brother and sister to court and throw them in jail?

This is one of the questions that comes up on personality tests.

Would you like to bang your sister? If you answer yes to that, i'm not hiring you regardless! :D

Reminds me of a question on the platelets donation questionnaire -
    "Have you ever handled monkeys or their bodily fluids?"

Surely there are so few people who would answers yes that the question is redundant:D:D

Andreas77 wrote: »
    Is normal to fantasize about such things if you have a sister, I have none, and often thought about it

I haven't. For either my sister or brother.
    Is the legalisation of incest just an extension of the freedoms won via the sexual revolution of the last 50 years or is it just another layer of depravity as Rome slowly burns?

I find it's just another example of the rush to remove all vestiges of the past and give everyone "complete freedom in certain approved areas".

Nope. I'm against it. It was put there for a good reason and society needs boundaries within which to function effectively. Clear rules are important. I'm not a fan on this attack on morality. Once you remove it for cases where children are not an issue, within a few years, it'll be changed to allow for all instances. Legal reform is a very slippery slope.

I don't think I would be encouraging anyone to give it a go but equally what are we supposed to do if it is between consenting adults? Bring the brother and sister to court and throw them in jail?

There was a brother and sister couple sentenced to life in prison in Britain the other week for murdering 2 of their 6 children. A neighbour heard one of the children referring to the ''uncle'' as daddy and reported them. Whether or not people are consenting to have sex with their sibling is irrelevant. Nature tries to kill the offspring of incestual relationships for a reason.

That's even before we get to the issue of a change in the laws potentially encouraging someone who is considering abusing a sibling into doing so and pressurising or threatening them into pretending that they consent. It doesn't take a genius to work out that having sex with a close blood relative is wrong on every level.

• Advertisement

How can there be no chance of pregnancy, if they only ever have sex after the menopause?

Can you imagine the scenario...

Brother, 'Why are you upset, you seem to be down a lot these days.'
    Sister, 'Oh, never mind me. I know this is icky stuff to talk about, but I've not had my period in months and I'm going through the menopause.'
    Brother, 'Well, that's great news, because for the last 50 years I've been wanting to ask you something...'

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

if its one of those cases where people are separated and meet years later and have no idea they're related, fair enough. but parent/child, brother/sister, uncle/niece...sorry, y'all aint right

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It would suit the government better to close the endless loop-holes in traffic legislation and other legislation that see offenders getting off on stupid technicalities rather than this nonsense which is a non issue and should be left alone. When was the last time anyone was prosecuted for incest??

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

As far as I know one of cases of incest are unlikely to produce any major problems, it's when it is repeated over a couple of generations it becomes an issue (see multiple royal families).

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

GLaDOS wrote: »
    As far as I know one of cases of incest are unlikely to produce any major problems, it's when it is repeated over a couple of generations it becomes an issue (see multiple royal families).

The problem is where diseases that require the same gene to be present in both parents is going to be far more likely to occur with two siblings.

It would suit the government better to close the endless loop-holes in traffic legislation and other legislation that see offenders getting off on stupid technicalities rather than this nonsense which is a non issue and should be left alone. When was the last time anyone was prosecuted for incest??

There's a case due to go before the courts shortly, it may even be there now, of a couple who have been abusing their children and letting others abuse the children too. TUSLA took the kids off them and then gave them back again, a total fook up from start to finish. There's been a lot of speculation that it's a Traveler thing, doesn't really matter what the ethnicity the poor kids have been destroyed and let down by their family and the State. There seems to have been at least 12 adults involved.

When was the last time anyone was prosecuted for incest??
    That's kind of the point.
    Why keep a law that nobody is prosecuted under anyways?
    If it is non consensual it is rape and that is prosecuted in the courts.
    If it involves minors it is rape and that is prosecuted.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

With modern advances in medicine etc etc and todays near religious pursuit of personal freedoms regarless of common sense or morality we'll soon be seeing brother and sister families adopting a horse and identifying as a door mouse.

Decriminalising may make it more normal, and brother/sister shouldn't be encouraged and parent child should never be tolerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

blueshade wrote: »
    There's a case due to go before the courts shortly, it may even be there now, of a couple who have been abusing their children and letting others abuse the children too. TUSLA took the kids off them and then gave them back again, a total fook up from start to finish. There's been a lot of speculation that it's a Traveler thing, doesn't really matter what the ethnicity the poor kids have been destroyed and let down by their family and the State. There seems to have been at least 12 adults involved.

That's child abuse/neglect/rape, not incest. None of the adults will be charged with incest.

To ensure that people don't think that now its been decriminalised that its now ok and legal. Its not harming anyone so leave it be. Its not like its taking up courts or that time is being drawn from elsewhere to maintain the law. Its there, leave it there even as a discouragement to those that think is somehow ok to have sex with a blood relative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,438 ✭✭✭✭Victor

First off, child abuse is child abuse. Cases involving minors should be treated like other cases involving minors, possibly with some stricter rules.

One needs to consider (a) rules regarding sex and (b) rules regarding marriage.

I think there needs to be restrictions where there is a power imbalance or presumption of power imbalance between the parties, e.g. a parent and child. I would still have it illegal if the child is, say, under 21 instead of under 17.

Similarly, where there is a risk of pregnancy with closely-related parents, there should be restrictions. Where the female is over, say, 50 years of age, this shouldn't really be a problem.

Outside this, criminalising things would seem harsh. It seems the maximum sentence is life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_of_incest#Republic_of_Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'll put it to you like this. Going down on your sister is a lot like drinking non alcoholic beer. It tastes the same but it's weird and wrong.

Do you think the Punishment of Incest Act, 1908 is stopping brothers and sisters hopping into bed now though?

The same arguments were put forth on the decriminalisation of homosexuality, but decriminalising that didn't turn me gay, no more than this will make me want to sleep with my sister.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Find it curious of all the who-ha on birth defects via incest, but people are perfectly fine of people with congenital disease passing it onto their kids because of "human rights!".

Like a pair of midgets, with all their health issues, producing a midget offspring.

Bit hypocritical, no? :rolleyes:

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Find it curious of all the who-ha on birth defects via incest, but people are perfectly fine of people with congenital disease passing it onto their kids because of "human rights!".

Bit hypocritical, no? :rolleyes:

Look, you can't sleep with your sister, right! Give it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

As one of my mates says - "If I had a sister, I'd be a father" :D:D

Do you think the Punishment of Incest Act, 1908 is stopping brothers and sisters hopping into bed now though?

I reckon if you are the sort of deviant who will fúck your sister, you probably aren't all that concerned with the legalities of it!

Are you reading this Jim Corr?:D

Are you reading this Jim Corr?:D

In fairness, Jim Corr is the one man that deserves a pass :pac:

I was actually thinking that myself - i mean there was 3 of the fúckers, no man could resist that, he probably tried his best:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

How can there be no chance of pregnancy, if they only ever have sex after the menopause?

'
    If they are both the same sex.
    If one of them is sterilised.

Advertisement