Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underapreciated games

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Omega (the roguelike). Funny. Good plot. Challenging without being stupidly hard like many other games in the genre. Good plot. Original elements like detail of plot, wilderness above ground area, multiple win conditions (apparently; I think I was only was aware of the one I did).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Resistance 3 - PS3

My PS avatar is Nathan Hale. God I loved 1&2. 2 was probably my first venture into online fps. Had wireless internet at the time and when it rained it turned my world upside down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

Mass Effect: Andromeda - the absolute tidal wave of hate it got on release just baffled the **** out of me. I totally enjoyed my time playing through it, and it was the first Mass Effect game my wife played as well and she was totally hooked. I had told her all about how the choices carried over in the original trilogy and she was really careful in how she played so she'd have a save for 2.....

Which won't be happening now because of the internet crybabies. Hope they all enjoyed Anthem after killing the ME series.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

One game that springs to mind is Singularity, a really cool story-driven FPS with very light RPG elements that was very reminiscint of Bioshock. Definitely deserved to be more of a success than it was.

Also, Duke Nukem Forever was nowhere near as bad as made out. I bought it on release and to be honest thought it was fine, basically classic Duke Nukem. Some people seemed to kinda expect some sort of revolutionary, genre raising game and it got treated like it was one of the worst games ever made. I even seen it on lists like "top 10 worst FPS games ever" which is just way OTT. It was harmless fun and pretty nostalgic.

I also really enjoyed the sci-fi shooter Binary Domain, that one kinda slipped in under the radar as well. Alpha Protocol mentioned in the first post is also a great game. Made by the guys that went on to make New Vegas and The Outer Worlds. It's a bit rough around the ages but a very decent game.

• Homelander wrote: »
    One game that springs to mind is Singularity, a really cool story-driven FPS with very light RPG elements that was very reminiscint of Bioshock. Definitely deserved to be more of a success than it was.

Also, Duke Nukem Forever was nowhere near as bad as made out. I bought it on release and to be honest thought it was fine, basically classic Duke Nukem. Some people seemed to kinda expect some sort of revolutionary, genre raising game and it got treated like it was one of the worst games ever made. I even seen it on lists like "top 10 worst FPS games ever" which is just way OTT. It was harmless fun and pretty nostalgic.

I also really enjoyed the sci-fi shooter Binary Domain, that one kinda slipped in under the radar as well. Alpha Protocol mentioned in the first post is also a great game. Made by the guys that went on to make New Vegas and The Outer Worlds. It's a bit rough around the ages but a very decent game.

Raging, I missed out on this recently. It was on sale @ GOG.com a few weeks back

I did complete it years ago on x360 and remember it was great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Homelander wrote: »
    Also, Duke Nukem Forever was nowhere near as bad as made out.

I thought it was hilarious

I loved how offended people were over things like this:

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

mrcheez wrote: »
    I thought it was hilarious

I loved how offended people were over things like this:

It's Duke Nukem so I dont see why people expected anything else. Duke was never about being PC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Homelander wrote: »
    Also, Duke Nukem Forever was nowhere near as bad as made out.

It's not as bad as people make it out to be.

It's far far worse. I spent 2.50 on that game and feel it was 47.50 too expensive and owes me all the time I wasted on it back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Kiith wrote: »
    Freedom Fighters. Russia invades America and a plumber saves the day. Love that game.

Never understood why this wasn't released on Steam, I still have CD version (ISO) and it works flawlessly on windows 10. Fantastic game, made with the same engine as Hitman 2.

My guilty pleasure is Deep Black Reloaded. An incredibly unpopular game if you go by the reviews, however most of the hate the game gets is because it is difficult to get it to run correctly, but I love it. Plot is almost non-existant but gameplay is great fun and the water physics are amazing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

NaissanceE is a game I adore more than any Witcher 3, Last of Us or God of War - the sort I wouldn't hesitate to put on my 'best of decade' list. For me it's a highpoint in visual, atmosphere and sound-led video game storytelling - an abstract journey through shifting brutalist, mysterious megastructures. It's a pretty cool light-based puzzle game at times, but really this is a game to sink into and let its cool, surreal spell wash over you.

Hohokum is pure joy distilled in video game form. It's about the joy of experimentation - poking around in its toyboxes and seeing what happens. I've seen a lot of refreshed enthusiasm about this game recently from some designers and writers I really admire - which makes me super happy because for a while I thought I was the only one who fell completely and absolutely for this wee little masterpiece. One of the very best videogame soundtracks of all time to boot.

Literally everything Simogo has made since Year Walk, including their fiendish puzzle classing SPL-T. Sometimes easy to forget these guys are just tossing out the most unabashedly stylish games with levels of polish that would make Nintendo blush. The winning streak continued with the thrilling Sayonara Wild Hearts - long may it continue (even if we do have to wait years between releases).

Kentucky Route Zero gets the critical praise it deserves, but so often absent from wider discussion. Its trippy roadtrip is unlike any other, existing in an entirely different dimension to other video games. Still waiting for chapter 5 and the console edition, mind.

The list of actual funny games is about five games deep - Goose Game, Stanley Parable, maybe a few others I guess? Regardless: my point is Jazzpunk is one of them.

Desert Golfing - basically an elaborate troll that nonetheless feels like the video game distilled into its purest, cruelest form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,103 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

James Cameron's Avatar the game.
    Apart from the Infamous games, this is the only other game I restarted as soon as finishing as there are 2 paths. At a point in the game you're asked to choose between the Na'vi and the humans. It saves at this point so when you finish the game as one you can just reload and play the other side.

Advertisement