Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do sensors need servicing?

Options
  • 20-11-2019 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭

I have a wired house alarm - Siemens SPC 4320 panel.

Over the past month the alarm has gone off 4 times at random times, most recently at 1am last night. Nothing has happened to set the alarm off, nothing looks wrong with them. All windows are closed. I can't figure out why it's happening.

Should the sensors be serviced or something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    I have a wired house alarm - Siemens SPC 4320 panel.

Over the past month the alarm has gone off 4 times at random times, most recently at 1am last night. Nothing has happened to set the alarm off, nothing looks wrong with them. All windows are closed. I can't figure out why it's happening.

Should the sensors be serviced or something?

Does the panel show any activations in the logs? Is the ext bell box wiring and housing secured ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Here's the log from last night. This is for the kitchen area, which is a window and back door.

The alarm went off at 00:15:20
    I actually didn't hear it, which is strange.

Not sure what Pulse Count is - thought that would have been for a beam

495673.jpg

degsie wrote: »
    Is the ext bell box wiring and housing secured ok?

Up on the wall outside the house? I haven't checked it - could that trigger zones at the back of the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Pulse count has to do with shock sensors, maybe set too sensitive or someone is actively 'testing' it. Do you have a pet that might be scratching the door?

No pets

I was thinking last week that it could have been the strong winds - but we've had strong winds before and it never set it off. Wasn't that windy last night...

Can they be calibrated manually?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Hi OP,

I have a self installed HKC system, and was getting EXACTLY the same symptoms. Because of my zoning approach, I could tell precisely which window was getting the shock sensor trips. It was giving multiple Pulse and Gross on the downstairs front window, all occurring within the same minute(s) multiple events over a number of days. Turned out to be a loose wire in the sensor - my own fault. THe wire was not properly secured under the screw before tightening and had worked itself loose - presumably due to expansion / contraction as the temperature changed over day/night.

I opened each sensor (whilst in engineer mode to prevent tamper alarm) and then gently tugged on every wire VERY GENTLY (don't want to loosen another one!) and eventually found the one that had slipped free. Re-seated it and tightened it down problem solved.

Please bear in mind that I'm just a lucky DIY'er, so watch for the posts from those who actually work at this stuff, they won't steer you astray.
    Good luck with it.

Thanks for the reply

I had considered doing that. I don't know my engineer code though - I'll have a search, it might be a generic thing. I still have my installer's details so could contact him if I can't solve it myself

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If this is on a zone that has been working perfectly up to now then it's probably a faulty sensor or contact on that zone.If there are a number of devices on that zone you would need a multimeter to check which one (s) are faulty.

I narrowed it down to the back door. I have moved the contact closer to the sensor to see if it makes any difference. If not, I will get on to the installer.

Out of interest - how does one log in as an engineer? I can't find any prompt to do so?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

What system do you have.? In most cases its just a matter of entering engineer code instead of the user code.

• Advertisement

You actually recommended it and the installer Koolkid!

Specification
    1 Siemens 4220 8 Zone Control panel.
    1 Siemens remote keypad SPCK 420 Hallway.
    1 12vdc rechargeable back up battery.

Warning Devices.
    1 Self activating outdoor siren unit Delta Bell to be fitted c/w rechargeable battery and flashing strobe
    light and soft back light.
    1 12vdc Internal Siren

Detection
    Front Door- Protection afforded by 1 magnetic contact to detect opening.
    Back Doors- Protection afforded by inertia contacts to detect opening/forced entry.
    Perimeter Windows - Protection afforded by a combination of inertia contacts and magnetic contacts
    to detect opening/forced entry as required.
    Hallway or Landing - Internal Protection afforded by 1 Infred Detector to detect movement within the
    protected area.

The installer code just needs to be entered on keypad.

I don't need to go into any part of the menus? Just type it in from the neutral screen as I would my alarm code?

Yes. Unless you have disabled engineer access from the user menu.

Thanks Koolkid

Just to update this.

I moved the contact closer to the sensor by putting a little block of wood underneath it.

No issues since.

Advertisement