Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Motherboard or upgrade processor and motherboard.

Options
  • 20-11-2019 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice, I have the following setup:

Motherboard MSI Z170A Gaming Pro
    Intel i7 6700k
    GTX 1080ti
    16GB (3600Mhz - I think) Corsair ram.

The motherboard has been giving me problems since day 1 (bought a few years ago).

The computer gets stuck on boot for the first few times I start the pc. If I leave the PC on for say 10 mins and force a restart, it will start. The motherboard is the issue I think. It seems a common enough problem with the MSI Z170A Gaming Pro.

I never got around to fixing it and just got used to turning the p c on and waiting, then rebooting.

Issue described here: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=269297.0

I'm not really interested in troubleshooting the motherboard anymore though.

It's time to resolve the issue...

Two options:

1. Buy a new Z170/Z270 motherboard (with plenty of USB ports, nvme slot, overclocking would be nice..)

2. Sell the processor and buy a new processor / motherboard..

Any thoughts on this, or what would you suggest buying?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Comes down to budget and parts availability. Can't see any harm in you scrapping the motherboard (or selling for parts/selling as is), selling the CPU and grabbing a Ryzen R5 3600 + B450/X570 motherboard. You bump the core count by 2, (with hyperthreading thats 4 extra logical cores), the fps you'll get will be almost the same (I'm assuming you have a graphics card? No integrated graphics on most Ryzen chips), and I doubt there'd be any issues with RAM compatibility. If there is, the prices aren't so bad nowadays that you couldn't sell your CPU and RAM as a bundle and pick up some new ones.

It's probably cheaper to just get a new motherboard, but do have a look around at selling prices for the i7 6700k and do the math.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Hi,

Cheers for that - I have a GTX 1080ti so having no issues on the GPU part for now.

Yeah just looking there now on Amazon at the 3600 and 3600x, seems pretty decent for the price.

Any particular motherboard you would recommend?

I'm struggling to find a decent motherboard for the i7 so I will see if I can sell it on adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX, Gaming Pro carbon AC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Hi,

Cheers for that - I have a GTX 1080ti so having no issues on the GPU part for now.

Yeah just looking there now on Amazon at the 3600 and 3600x, seems pretty decent for the price.

Any particular motherboard you would recommend?

I'm struggling to find a decent motherboard for the i7 so I will see if I can sell it on adverts.

Dont bother with the 3600x. the 3600 will do you fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

So... After some research I bought a 3700X and an MSI X570 Motherboard. A nice step up from the 6700k and should do me for 2/3 years again :0

• Advertisement
Advertisement