Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do the rules of the road deal with this?

• 20-11-2019 2:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭

So it's on a public road, it's not a zebra crossing but it does have solid lines running perpendicular to the road running along the top of the speed bumps and a marked out tactile standing area for pedestrians either side of the road.

How does this need to be treated from a drivers perspective? Do drivers have to stop to give way to pedestrians waiting to cross? If so why not just make it a zebra crossing?

I'm confused.com :confused:

Road-Crossing1574254416.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭xabi

Pedestrians give way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The thin white lines are pedestrian crossing lines, not a stop line. The triangles/pyramids are to make the traffic cushion visible.

Its incomplete, there should be a traffic signal for the pedestrian crossing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭caldew

This is a courtesy crossing. Vehicles can stop to let pedestrians cross but don't have to.

I always stop to let pedestrians cross if it's safe for me to stop. As a pedestrian I don't like them as you're never sure if the car will stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

If i see a pedestrian waiting to cross im stopping, isn't that the common sense thing to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

54and56 wrote: »
    Do drivers have to stop to give way to pedestrians waiting to cross? If so why not just make it a zebra crossing?

Pedestrians do not have priority. It's not a zebra crossing. At some stage they'll probably add pedestrian lights. Eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    If i see a pedestrian waiting to cross im stopping, isn't that the common sense thing to do?

You would be committing the offence of causing a traffic obstruction if you did so.

Marcusm wrote: »
    You would be committing the offence of causing a traffic obstruction if you did so.

ill take the risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭54and56

Marcusm wrote: »

I assume the relevant council / road authority put them in to make it easier for pedestrians to cross during traffic (otherwise why put them in?) so I tend to stop and let pedestrians cross especially if the traffic ahead of me isn't moving too fast.

If it's an offence for traffic to stop at these why are they put in???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

The use of yellow / buff coloured tac tiles instead of red means that it's an uncontrolled crossing point, i.e the pedestrian does not have right of way. This layout is not in accordance with any design or specification and obvioulsy could lead to confusion. In my opinion the tram lines should be removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭54and56

Decoda wrote: »
    The use of yellow tac tiles instead of red means that it's an uncontrolled crossing point, i.e the pedestrian does not have right of way. This layout is not in accordance with any design or specification and obvioulsy could lead to confusion. In my opinion the tram lines should be removed.

I agree. It's the tramlines which motivated me to make this post as solid lines across the road in front of me automatically make me think I have to stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

it might be dangerous to give way to a pedestrian if there's a risk they might walk straight under another car

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

ill take the risk.

You really shouldn't. Someone drove into the back of me on Monday morning, because the driver at the front of the line of traffic decided to stop at the far side of the junction to let a pedestrian cross, when they had no right to.

You really shouldn't. Someone drove into the back of me on Monday morning, because the driver at the front of the line of traffic decided to stop at the far side of the junction to let a pedestrian cross, when they had no right to.

So it wasn't the driver who drove in to back of you fault for lack of observation but the driver who gave way to a pedestrian?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,574 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Just another example of the make it up as you go along rules that each County Council seems to push out. They do it their way.
    Those actual pedestrian crosses with the big flashing yellow light are another hindrance to drivers. You approach these on a dark rainy night and it's like someone is holding a flash light in front of your eyes and turning it on and off every second as you try to see if there is someone at the crossing or not, but you can't see as they are standing behind the flashing light! WTF

Have approached these countless times and would be totally sure no one is standing at them and low and below as you drive by there can be !! Accident waiting to happen, would make more sense to put a constant white light looking down on the area a person stands as to illuminate them, not put a big flashing blinding light in front of them as to hide them and blind the drivers of vehicles. Geez !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Half of Monaghan Town is like this and pedestrians regularly use them as Zebra crossings. It is at the stage now where people walk out in front of traffic without looking or protest if someone does not stop. Local drivers now will usually give way to pedestrians because they know they are going to just walk out.

488768_4d5d3.gif

Yep that light makes it easy to see people, WTF

They use such techniques in the arms forces to hide a person, but they use them as crossings in Ireland, wtf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Yep that light makes it easy to see people, WTF

They use such techniques in the arms forces to hide a person, but they use them as crossings in Ireland, wtf

Think you might want to get your eyes checked by a doctor if those flashing amber beacons cause you problems...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

So it wasn't the driver who drove in to back of you fault for lack of observation but the driver who gave way to a pedestrian?

The driver who drove into the back of me should have been paying attention. But the accident would never have happened if the driver at the front of traffic hadn't stopped (in a yellow box) to let a pedestrian,with no right of way, to cross the road. People need to understand that you can't just stop at random points on the road to let pedestrians cross. You're putting the cars behind you in danger, and waving a pedestrian across the road and potentially into danger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭markest

54and56 wrote:
    So it's on a public road, it's not a zebra crossing but it does have solid lines running perpendicular to the road running along the top of the speed bumps and a marked out tactile standing area for pedestrians either side of the road.

Isn't this raised area also used to assist cyclists on cycle lanes?

• Advertisement
Advertisement