Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What rodent is this?

• 20-11-2019 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭

About 4" long. Currently in my external garage.

3cm gap under the door and dog food outside of sealed containers so not madly surprising. Thing to seal gap is in the post. Guess I'll look for large sealed containers for dog food too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

rat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Looks like a rat. If you put it on your head under a chefs hat you can cook some great French cuisine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭2pacshakur

I'm missing a hamster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

too small no? I measured the spot in the photo. body is 3" long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

rat. They come in a range of sizes :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Difficult, either small rat or a large vole, with the tiny tucked back ears.

bollocks.

What is the best way of getting rid of it?

Is it worth trying to eliminate them outside as well as inside?

I have a toddler and a dog. Can keep both out of the garage but not garden obviously. Garden also gets foxes I don't want to harm and feral cats which I don't want to have to dispose of.

Anything else to deter further entry, after sealing gaps and food?

He was not particularly alarmed by my presence until I started moving toward him, if that's any indicator. Seemed curious. Came out to look at me a little later. Less than 3m away.

Tail looks kinfa fluffy at the end,
    Could be a Dormouse??

cool little guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

bollocks.

What is the best way of getting rid of it?

Is it worth trying to eliminate them outside as well as inside?

I have a toddler and a dog. Can keep both out of Grange but not garden obviously. Garden also gets foxes I don't want to harm and feral cats which I don't want to have to dispose of.

Anything else to deter further entry, after sealing gaps and food?

Fire, that'll do it every time:D

Rat poison and bait stations. If you know where it's coming in, a bait station there will get them in and eating the poison once any other food source is taken away.

And then seal up any entrances with plaster and put bait stations either side of the door and place them down the start of November every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tail looks kinfa fluffy at the end,
    Could be a Dormouse??

cool little guys.

Looks more like a dormouse I don't see any rat features

If he's not a health hazard I've no desire to kill him but I still don't want him pooping in my garage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I think rats have longer legs and darker tails

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

Get a Jack Russel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

theres always rats nidgey

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

Then again maybe you should hang on to him. Probably qualify as at least 6 livestock units for SFP purposes, once Larry and the Greens have cattle banished..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Looks like a mouse tbh. It's that time of year when they start migrating indoors because of the cold.
    Seal up everything and leave a couple of mouse traps in corners or along the routes they might be taking along walls etc.
    And they've been living alongside us for a long long time, so unless it gets way out of hand, they'll do very little harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

If he's not a health hazard I've no desire to kill him but I still don't want him pooping in my garage.

If you're not sure what it is - get a live trap. Try your local coop. If it's a rat - they are a serious health hazard and most likely will have more than one. Meed to take appropriate action with bait stations etc.

Btw any idea how it's getting in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Andreas77

I had a King Jird for several years, an angry, nasty little creature with long nails, that scratched all the surfaces in our apartment, the linoleum, the grouting, the tiles in the bedroom and the tiles in the bathroom, any carpeted areas, lucky I was student at the time so didn't have to pay for the King Jird's damage, anyway I finally let him loose on campus, I wonder where he is now

gozunda wrote: »
    If you're not sure what it is - get a live trap. Try your local coop. If it's a rat - they are a serious health hazard and most likely will have more than one. Meed to take appropriate action with bait stations etc.

Btw any idea how it's getting in?
    Fairly certain it was through the gap at the bottom of my garage door. It's 3cm. A seal for it is in the post. Other possibility is a smaller gap at bottom of normal timber door. Plan to replace that soon and will stick something onto it in the meantime. Or he might have just gone in while the door was open. Otherwise all walls exposed externally and ate intact concrete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

It's 100% a mouse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Fire, that'll do it every time:D

Rat poison and bait stations. If you know where it's coming in, a bait station there will get them in and eating the poison once any other food source is taken away.

And then seal up any entrances with plaster and put bait stations either side of the door and place them down the start of November every year.
    I'm not a fan of poison. If the rodent dies outside you might end up killing the hawk or owl that picks it up.

Ok my plan is to seal the gaps and get a humane trap. Will release it him and any of his colleagues into my garden... I've read that releasing them far away is actually usually consigning them to probable death, since they aren't good at adapting away from the places they know. Though he'll probably fall prey to a fox, dog or cat soon enough anyway. Must leave some piles of wood cuttings to give him a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Just a mouse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Ok my plan is to seal the gaps and get a humane trap. Will release it him and any of his colleagues into my garden... I've read that releasing them far away is actually usually consigning them to probable death, since they aren't good at adapting away from the places they know. Though he'll probably fall prey to a fox, dog or cat soon enough anyway. Must leave some piles of wood cuttings to give him a chance.

You'll change your mind about humane traps when you get the smell off it after he's been pi$$ing in it all night :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mattser

canonball5 wrote: »
    It's 100% a mouse.

Agreed. I don't think a rat would hang around peeping at you. Mickey and Minnie are brazen little feckers though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

Field Mouse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Could be an immature rat,. Caught 6 in the space of 30 mins here two years ago, called in the professionals then as the adults were too smart for the traps, outside is one thing but inside quiet another. Cat caught it after I reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

You want to shift the bag of dog nuts.thats what’s drawing them.
    Put it in a rodent proof bin.
    Rumour has it if you steal your neighbors wheelie bin and wash it out it will be perfect for the job

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

emeldc wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of poison. If the rodent dies outside you might end up killing the hawk or owl that picks it up.

Fire it is so!

Hang on till I get some marshmallows, though:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Looks like it has a thickish tail so could be a young rat. Rats are brazen too, when they consider it their territory. Shrewd creatures and can squeeze through the smallest gaps, amazing climbers. You're never too far from rats but generally you don't want to be sharing buildings with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Looks like some kind of sideways species of rat. I've never seen a species of this orientation before.

I've seen a couple of similar rodents around outside which I took to be fieldmice. This one looks a little bigger maybe. Also found a dead tiny one also outside that I took to be a shrew. Had a kinda curved narrow snout.

Here is another pic where he came out to have another look at me. Bit blurred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Any rats I've ever seen have been massive. Way bigger than that.

I don't know how fast they grow, but I wouldn't say there's much chance of seeing a rat on its own that isn't already adult sized.

I think that's something else, and if you say you've seen other small rodents around I think it's more likely one of those (probably too big to be a fieldmouse though)

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I've seen a couple of similar rodents around outside which I took to be fieldmice. This one looks a little bigger maybe. Also found a dead tiny one also outside that I took to be a shrew. Had a kinda curved narrow snout.

Here is another pic where he came out to have another look at me. Bit blurred.

Lol, looks like a raccoon or a fox in that one!!!
    (Which it obviously isn't, of course! Just the photo, or maybe it's just me.)

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Be god lad and that bag of dog nuts is north of 60 pound.
    I’d be keeping it well away from a mouseen at that money.
    The fcuker will be gorging on them and will sh1te on what’s left.
    They do draw what they don’t eat into the nest.
    Hel rob you

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭The Rabbi

Half drown it then hit it with a sledge.And don't start fretting about it.Second time is easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's an adult Wood Mouse (also called a long tailed field mouse).

A standard mousetrap will do the job.

The Rabbi wrote: »
    Half drown it then hit it with a sledge.And don't start fretting about it.Second time is easier.

Recognition! /zoidberg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

A standard mousetrap will do the job.

That would be my call - as rodents go their pretty harmless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

GPMG needed ,with tracer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Get a cat and a plug in ultrasonic rodent repeller have only ever had mice so don’t know but looks too small to be a rat unless it’s a baby hopefully not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Greyfoot

GPMG needed ,with tracer

Ahahaha,and call in the coordinates for a mortar strike once you run out of belts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

GPMG needed ,with tracer

Think of the collateral damage! Use your head lad!
    9mm only!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

looks more like a mouse to me, rat's tails are longer

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Chisler2

Dog-food, bird-seed etc. stored in rodent-proof containers take away all incentive for rodents to come near sheds or garages. Full-sized plastic bins with lock-over handles (lid cannot be pushed off/wiggled under) are perfect.......followed by sealing their entrance-points when you are sure they are not inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Andreas77

So what is this creature? Mouse or rat,. Can you provide more pics please so we can see better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Andreas77 wrote: »
    So what is this creature? Mouse or rat,. Can you provide more pics please so we can see better

The tail looks too short for a rat. It doesn't look like a house mouse. I don't know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

cjmc wrote: »
    The tail looks too short for a rat. It doesn't look like a house mouse. I don't know

Its a Wood mouse - generally they don't invade human dwellings unless the weather is very poor, which might explain its presence in this case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Its a Wood mouse - generally they don't invade human dwellings unless the weather is very poor, which might explain its presence in this case

Is a wood mouse different to a field mouse ? Where do they live

• Advertisement
Advertisement