Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom renovation disaster- recommend solicitor

Options
  • 20-11-2019 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Got bathroom renovated by one of those companies that do everything. It was a disaster from the beginning, they left house in mess, floor had to be redone by our own tiler and wiring was all done wrong so had to get external electrician to rewire properly as live wire left exposed etc. Also lots of smaller issues( no sealing etc) Was able to withhold enough money to pay for the redoing of work . Now discovered another fault and company aren't replying to texts asking them to fix. Is the legal route the only way ? There was no contract as company (after quoting and us agreeing and planning around the dates they were doing the work), said the cost quoted was without vat so we were forced to go ahead without a contract. Their cost was still more expensive than other companies but we had made our plans at this stage so had to go with them. Can we still go the legal route even without contract? We have some texts back from them and can get tiler etc to say that work had been done wrong. Also 100s of text and emails from us to them outlying all the issues.Anyone recommend a solicitor in cork city who's done this kind of work

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Who did you use don’t mind me asking pm If needed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

Sorry I can’t help with Solicitor advice, but you have me freaking out coz we’re currently getting quotes for the same job (Cork city).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

seefin wrote: »
    Got bathroom renovated by one of those companies that do everything. It was a disaster from the beginning, they left house in mess, floor had to be redone by our own tiler and wiring was all done wrong so had to get external electrician to rewire properly as live wire left exposed etc. Also lots of smaller issues( no sealing etc) Was able to withhold enough money to pay for the redoing of work . Now discovered another fault and company aren't replying to texts asking them to fix. Is the legal route the only way ? There was no contract as company (after quoting and us agreeing and planning around the dates they were doing the work), said the cost quoted was without vat so we were forced to go ahead without a contract. Their cost was still more expensive than other companies but we had made our plans at this stage so had to go with them. Can we still go the legal route even without contract? We have some texts back from them and can get tiler etc to say that work had been done wrong. Also 100s of text and emails from us to them outlying all the issues.Anyone recommend a solicitor in cork city who's done this kind of work

Do you have paperwork and copies of correspondence with the company emails texts etc. A solicitor will probably want this if you are to take a case. Also if you have photos of how they left the place also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Sorry I can’t help with Solicitor advice, but you have me freaking out coz we’re currently getting quotes for the same job (Cork city).

I've never got any work done and had to pay any money up front apart from fittings which we bought ourselves beforehand. Don't think I'd trust a business charging for labour before it's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Do you have a contact or any paperwork that can been seen as a contact eg. Emails or texts asking to quote them providing quote and you agreeing to dates and times.

Do you have any evidence of payment eg. Bank transfer etc

If you do you don't actually need a solicitor and should be able to go through small claims court yourself. Bear in mind you will probably never get the money

If you don't any solicitor won't take you on unfortunately.

Lesson learned, never ever ever pay upfront and no reputable company will request payment upbfront

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cantalach

Lesson learned, never ever ever pay upfront and no reputable company will request payment upbfront

That hasn't been my experience. Many respected contractors will take a significant deposit in advance and, depending on the size of the job, may take staged payments throughout the work. Given the complete absence of laws to ensure prompt settlement of civil debts (compared to some other EU countries), I can't say I'd blame contrators. But that's not to in any way dismiss the OP's situation. Theirs is another awful consequence of this state of affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Reasonable deposit and staged payments are pretty standard. The key with the stage payments is to agree and know the stages and only hand over the money when you are satisfied that stage is complete to acceptable quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Getting a lot of work done soon, can you pm name so I can avoid

Advertisement