Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New dog - how to train not to defecate in own garden

• 20-11-2019 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭

We recently obtained a two year old English springer from a family who had him as a pup and who had trained him very well......apart from the above....... we now have him 8 weeks and have tried all sorts of ways to get him to do his sh1te outside our property boundary but to no avail. He will do his business occasionally during a long walk in either evening or am but there is no real consistency.....on an inspection of the back garden I still find lots of his ‘stuff’ daily. has anyone out there any tips...? The max he is left without anyone at the house Is 4/5 hours. He spends most of his time outside he is not a ‘house dog’

**Mod warning, post 21**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Really? It's an animal, why shouldn't he be able to take a shît in his own garden?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Go and do a sh1t in the neighbors garden every morning for a fortnight and he'll soon get the message (*_*)

Honestly, it's the dogs territory, you'll not be able to stop it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Why is he not allowed do it in the garden ?
    I presume you pick it up from outside the garden so why not pick it up from in the garden ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Just when you think you’ve read it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Road-Hog wrote:
    He spends most of his time outside he is not a ‘house dog’

This drives me mad. Dogs are bred to need human company, not be left outdoors all the time. Why bother having a dog at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

I’m getting a hiding here.........of course I pick up the ****e but is there no truth in the saying ‘dogs don’t **** on their own door step’....? When growing up we had several dogs and they always did their stuff on neighbors front garden or whe our for a walk.....rarely in ‘their own patch’....!

I don’t think a springer is a suitable ‘house-dog’...?

seefin wrote: »
    This drives me mad. Dogs are bred to need human company, not be left outdoors all the time. Why bother having a dog at all

So when not at home you would leave your dog in the house/garage in a confined space.......surely out i the back with shelter and space to roam while not at home is a good idea....?

Road-Hog wrote: »
    I’m getting a hiding here.........of course I pick up the ****e but is there no truth in the saying ‘dogs don’t **** on their own door step’....? When growing up we had several dogs and they always did their stuff on neighbors front garden or whe our for a walk.....rarely in ‘their own patch’....!

If a neighbours dog shat in my front garden regularly I would be furious .

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Why is he not allowed do it in the garden ?
    I presume you pick it up from outside the garden so why not pick it up from in the garden ?

Nah. I Leave the dog ****e all over the place. Never pick it up it’s disgusting and foul smelling.....I love seeing people walk in it and their subsequent reactions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Sorry, thought you left outdoors 24 hours a day, ok if just when ye not at home. Have a neighbours dog kept like this and distressed, constantly barking etc so felt really strongly about it.

• Advertisement

Even if they picked it up....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

I’d be moving it to their doorstep.

Nah. I Leave the dog ****e all over the place. Never pick it up it’s disgusting and foul smelling.....I love seeing people walk in it and their subsequent reactions.

I don’t understand the sarky answer . If you are picking up after him why not pick up from your own garden ?

Even if they picked it up....?

Yea absolutely , why should I tolerate your dog ****ting in my garden ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Jaysus ... please consider rehoming the dog to a family who will be ok with a dog going in their own garden and also keep the dog indoors!

You appear to know little about dogs and even less about springers!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Just get a small metal shovel, like out of a fireplace set, and use that. Dogs mark their territory by pissing around it. It's what they do. You couldn't expect it to piss in its own turf but not sh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Seriously has to be a troll...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

It is you that's disgusting,you should never have a dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭cml387

If we may sum up so far, the OP is suggesting that dogs should be trained to poo in other people's gardens, and there's no obligation to pick it up.

Hmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,972 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Unless you have any tips on how to train a dog not to use the garden as a toilet, then dont post in this thread.
    You have all been warned.

• Advertisement

Op in order to train a dog to do anything, you have to be there with them.

Mark out a section where the dog is allowed to go and take him there on a lead when he has to go. Of course you will need to be watching the dog like a hawk to know this. Keep the rest of the garden spotlessly clean ie. Clean up accidents as they happen and he will eventually get the idea.

I don’t understand the sarky answer . If you are picking up after him why not pick up from your own garden ?

Do you really think I’d leave piles of dog sh1te all over a garden my own or anyone else’s......?

My query is simply.......is there any way of training a dog not to do it’s sh1t within its own territory...?

cml387 wrote: »
    If we may sum up so far, the OP is suggesting that dogs should be trained to poo in other people's gardens, and there's no obligation to pick it up.

Hmm.

I obviously didn’t do too good of a job explaining myself in the opening post.....what you have typed above is totally the opposite to what I was querying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

My query is simply.......is there any way of training a dog not to do it’s sh1t within its own territory...?

Take it for more walks.

Unless you have any tips on how to train a dog not to use the garden as a toilet, then dont post in this thread.
    You have all been warned.

Thanks for the warning.......believe it or not I actually am a responsible dog owner who cleans up their sh1te be it on my own garden,
    third parties garden, footpath, public or private land/ beach etc....!

Road-Hog, the other posters have been instructed not to reply unless they can help. Please stop replying to these posts as they cannont answer you. Lets draw a line under the conversation so far and start again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭2pacshakur

Thanks for the warning.......believe it or not I actually am a responsible dog owner who cleans up their sh1te be it on my own garden,
    third parties garden, footpath, public or private land/ beach etc....!

So you want your dog to hold its **** while you could be away sometimes for five hours and then wait until you to decide to walk it??

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Take it for more walks.

That’s the obvious way but not always practical during the week.....! Weekends he get 5k twice a day and does 2 x sh1ts on average during the walk however I can still find 2/3 more in the garden even after all the walking......he is a sh1t-a-Holic.........does diet play much of a role....original owners fed him dry feed only which we have continued to do......we don’t feed him scraps or other sh1te......99% of his turds 💩 are well formed and solid.....and have a consistent colour and foul smell...!

Road-Hog, the other posters have been instructed not to reply unless they can help. Please stop replying to these posts as they cannont answer you. Lets draw a line under the conversation so far and start again.

Ok. Point taken

• Advertisement

That’s the obvious way but not always practical during the week.....! Weekends he get 5k twice a day and does 2 x sh1ts on average during the walk however I can still find 2/3 more in the garden even after all the walking......he is a sh1t-a-Holic.........does diet play much of a role....original owners fed him dry feed only which we have continued to do......we don’t feed him scraps or other sh1te......99% of his turds 💩 are well formed and solid.....and have a consistent colour and foul smell...!

Why don't you hold it in all day and just **** on the walk with the dog as well OP and see how you like it.

I'm sure you could find a bush somewhere.

It's the matter of you wanting your dog to hold it until it's walked is what the issue is. Do you know how uncomfortable that is, even as humans?

2pacshakur wrote: »
    So you want your dog to hold its **** while you could be away sometimes for five hours and then wait until you to decide to walk it??

Not at all......he stays in garage all night and during rainy days whe we are not at home and has never once soiled it......so for 5/6 hours inside and all night he has been trained not to do no 1’s or no 2’s. So it must be possible to train a dog to at least do his business in a consistent spot in the garden....???

Why don't you hold it in all day and just **** on the walk with the dog as well OP and see how you like it.

I'm sure you could find a bush somewhere.

It's the matter of you wanting your dog to hold it until it's walked is what the issue is. Do you know how uncomfortable that is, even as humans?

Yellow carded, do not post in this thread again.

For the record most dogs kept inside are regularly expected to hold it for 8 hours overnight.

Yellow carded, do not post in this thread again.

For the record most dogs kept inside are regularly expected to hold it for 8 hours overnight.

You really must have the IQ of a goldfish.

Op in order to train a dog to do anything, you have to be there with them.

Mark out a section where the dog is allowed to go and take him there on a lead when he has to go. Of course you will need to be watching the dog like a hawk to know this. Keep the rest of the garden spotlessly clean ie. Clean up accidents as they happen and he will eventually get the idea.

This is the only sensible practical piece of advice I’ve gotten so far. Many thanks. I had been trying something like And will continue to do so.......he is a very clever dog and has been well trained to date.....most people think I’m expecting too much obviously judging by the reaction so far

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Stewball

I kinda stopped my dog pooping in the garden - but I have the luxury off having a fields on every side of my house. He just does it in one of those instead when I let him out in the morning.

He started going in the garden when he was a puppy, but after a lot of shouting and directing him to the field, he eventually copped on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

That’s the obvious way but not always practical during the week.....!

Well, what does he get in terms of walks during the week? I'd walk our dog a short trip first thing in the morning and she'd get at least one other 30min walk and often 2 during the day, 7 days a week. She'll still do a wee dump up the garden now & then but mostly waits till out & about.

Permabanned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

OP, in fairness, if a dog needs to go in their garden, they'll go. You can train them to be confined to one area but to expect him not to go in his own "patch" - regardless of whether he has gone whilst out on a walk - is a bit unrealistic. Dogs communicate through urine and faeces marking, his walks will mark for other dogs and perhaps in his garden he can smell other neighbouring dogs and is marking to show that he is there.

You could possibly build a sand pit for him and bury one or two of his poos, and spread some of his urine (gathered with a ladle) and it could encourage him to go in that particular place.

Diet does play a huge role in the output as well. Dry food is not necessarily a marker of good food, lots of brands are full of wheat and fillers, so that will come out the other end. What brand do you feed?

OP, I have a Springer & he is a house dog. Now, he's older he sleeps a lot, when he was younger he needed a lot of exercise.
    He doesn't **** in the house, so maybe that's your answer.
    If you leave the dog outside all day then he will **** there. If he is inside, then he won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

Don’t think that’s very fair. Our dogs hold it overnight no issue unless one or both is ill, I.e gastrointestinal issues.

Both get a bedtime toilet break, and have regular & predictable poos as they have regular feeding times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

OP, you need to train him to go in a single place in the garden, feed him good quality food as it generally means less poo and not foul smelling.

My in-laws marked out a particular area in their garden took their golden retriever out on the lead to that area after every meal and after a good sleep. Eventually she learned and 12 years on still goes in the same place but not on her walks unless she’s out for a couple hours& only wees not poos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Love some of the answers the op has given.

Posts by some are the reason many people don't post here.

For the OP, maybe ask someone in a pet store as to what and how much you should feed the dog.

Too many people overfeed dogs leading to large amounts of poop.

Sometimes the more expensive food is the better value as less is needed and this means less poop.

As for the garden thing - very difficult to change. Usually easier to live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

We got a 2 year old rescue dog a few months ago and were thinking the opposite. He wont go for a no2 in our garden. He lives indoors. He normally gets at least three walks a day and will do average 2 poo’s a day. My wife works at home so he has company all day.
    The problem is he refuses to go out in rain or wind so will hold himself for hours on bad weather days. If for some reason we cant take him for one of his walks we let him in the garden but he wont go no2 until we take him out of property. He is happy to pee in the garden though. Sometimes it would be much easier if he would just go in the garden. :-)

My dogs do poos twice a day around mealtimes, they also get fed twice a day. As someone else said the better quality the food, the less they will go. Im feeding Barking Heads lamb & rice. They were on Acana before that and same thing. Have a look at the range of foods on zooplus. Feeding supermarket dry or wet food will cause a lot of poo and its really not the best for the dog. I wouldnt bother asking in a pet shop. Staff there are not trained in dog food nutrition and for the most part they have no clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Reduce the amount of poo with diet... then you’ll be able to get a routine going and be fairly certain when he’s going to go and just take him out of the garden to the same spot. If he’s on a crappy food (or in fairness it could already be a great food that just doesn’t suit your dog) and he’s bursting... you can’t really blame him for going in the first place possible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

A dog poos on average twice a day depending on how much and quality of his food. The quality of the food DEFINITELY makes a difference to the quantity, consistency and smell of the poo. You might look at the food you're feeding him. If you change to another brand as an experiment, it will take a 2/3 weeks to see how it goes.

If you get into a ROUTINE of walking him he should poo while out on the walk. If not, monitor him and see if he poos in the am, pm or at night. Then you will have to get into training mode with him - if you see him prepping to poo, go immediately and say firmly NO! then walk to the area with him on leash, and walk around that area until he poos. Dont shout, just praise when he does the poo where you want him to do it. Youve only RECENTLY got this dog - given he is probably traumatised by being rehomed , is in a strange place, you need to be very patient. What are the "all sorts of ways" you have tried to train him to poo?

Hes in a strange new place, with strange new people - you cant expect him to know what you want him to do - especially with something as instinctual as going to the toilet - without lots of work on your part.

Posts deleted for being off-topic and carrying on arguements, if it carries on infractions will be handed out and the thread will be closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭Ms2011

We have a small run on concrete with a shore. We bring our dog down there first thing in the morning and after dinner to poo, we've done this since he was a pup so he associates the run with going to the toilet. The concrete & shore make it easy to wash down & clean up.
    The rest of our garden is grass and as we have young children we can't have an 'landmines' for them to step in so luckily the run works a treat.

silver2020 wrote: »
    Love some of the answers the op has given.

Posts by some are the reason many people don't post here.

For the OP, maybe ask someone in a pet store as to what and how much you should feed the dog.

Too many people overfeed dogs leading to large amounts of poop.

Sometimes the more expensive food is the better value as less is needed and this means less poop.

As for the garden thing - very difficult to change. Usually easier to live with it.

What do you mean exactly by your first line....is it the responses I’ve gotten or are you praising my responses to the responses.....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭Plugguy

We recently obtained a two year old English springer from a family who had him as a pup and who had trained him very well......apart from the above....... we now have him 8 weeks and have tried all sorts of ways to get him to do his sh1te outside our property boundary but to no avail. He will do his business occasionally during a long walk in either evening or am but there is no real consistency.....on an inspection of the back garden I still find lots of his ‘stuff’ daily. has anyone out there any tips...? The max he is left without anyone at the house Is 4/5 hours. He spends most of his time outside he is not a ‘house dog’

**Mod warning, post 21**

Be patient with him, eventually he will do his business during his walks. Is it possible that a neighbour's dog is using your garden as a toilet?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement