Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW e-Up!

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

There are 26 x 241s available, although a lot of those are red. There was almost 50 when I bought mine 6 or 7 weeks ago. They seem to find 1 or 2 additional cars every so often.

17 x 2023, I think these are the ones to go for if it's a cash sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Seems like great value for anyone looking for a clean modern electric urban run-about with warranty.

Can't go wrong for 15K, can you?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

These look a great deal. I wonder if there are any implications for the battery if an eight or nine month old car has only delivery mileage on it? i.e sitting in a showroom unused… (normally a great thing).

Any thoughts, lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Alfagtamini

Picked up one this morning. Great car for the money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

yeah I drove one earlier this year but decided against it as just too small for my needs even as a second car .

It’s a fun drive though- like a big go-cart 😀

Considering such cars will always have buyers, 15k for a 2023 EV is great - I could see that only dropping 1k per annum in value max - easily sell for 10k in 5 years time , probably to a learner driver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Alfagtamini

Yeah it drives great. Sits at 120kmh on the motorway too quite comfortably.

Ideal second car I think and as you said with slow enough depreciation.

I hope I don’t kick myself in years to come for not picking one up (pun intended😀) - if I only needed it for local driving I’d probably go for it at that price but I want something that will get me further afield and probably with a bit more comfort and room .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,916 ✭✭✭User1998

Its not an issue. All cars sit around for months in manufacturing plants, storage yards, boats, ports etc etc.

There was an information sheet left in mine that showed a maintenance schedule for charging both the traction and 12v batteries since manufacture. This was a VW sheet so was probably filled out wherever the car was stored before being pre-registered in February of this year.

Dunno about the 2023 pre-regs. They have been sitting at a dealers since the second half of last year and could have been fully charged or flat, depending on whatever maintenance schedule the local VW dealer may or may not have implemented.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Given it’s got an 8 year battery warranty, it’s unlikely to be an issue for the first owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭old_house

The sitting around part is the same for the 232 and the 241 cars. VW stopped making them last october, so the 241s just sat longer before getting a plate. I picked one up yesterday, they are absolutely brilliant little things if they fit your use case. Well made and fun to drive, an absolute no-brainer if you are looking for a new small car. The only other car you could get for that kind of money would be a Kia Picanto K1, which is not anywhere near the same level of refinement and will cost you many thousands of Euros more to run over its lifetime.

Post edited by old_house on

I don't think that is correct. Once a car is registered, it is moved from the storage facility (wherever that is) to the garage forecourt. As I said previously, I doubt garages implement any kind of battery maintenance regime.

The sheet I found in my 241 was titled "VW Group Vehicle Care Program" and listed various checks every few months i.e. tyre pressures, 12V and HV battery checks and charging.

Chances are that the 232 and 241 might be the same age, just registered at different times.

What a brilliant little car this is. Just over 3 months and 3000km by now, incredibly efficient fun :)

Cheap motoring for sure but I don’t think I’d find 30kph all that much fun.

Most of it is school runs, shopping trips, driving the kids to their various activities and stuff like that. In town or on restricted rural roads. We have no motorway in our county and on narrow local roads it's perfect, I think it's the very use case it was designed for. But yes, the car is never driven hard and mostly in eco plus (hence no heating on for now) and I also increased the tyre pressure slightly. We do still have a petrol car for longer distances and if I want to challenge myself I take the motorcycle, so no need for that particular car to be in any way exciting. We still absolutely love it. And to put it in perspective: 10kwh/100km is the equivalent of just over 1l of petrol/100km in terms of energy and about 2l/100km in terms of cost when charged on a normal household tariff. At that level of efficiency you get a 300km range out of the tiny thing, meaning you only need to plug it in once or twice a week. It does the job perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Long term average speeds on most cars is lower than you'd think if you're anywhere urban.....mine are only high 30s KMPH

On my 15 min commute I could spend a few minutes at 0 kmph and not get over 80kmph at any point

Fair point but sitting in traffic is definitely no fun unless you’re sitting in a luxobarge with a B&O sound system or similar. Even an e-Golf is great fun to drive so I’d expect an e-Up to be a more nimble zippier variant.

E-Up is a great fun drive - considered it last year @ 18k for a 2023 new- but decided against as simply couldn’t even justify that cost - just not doing enough milage in a 2 car household to warrant big spend on a second car or at least that sort of spend - had I current first ICE paid off (another 2 years to go) I would really have been tempted as I’d say depreciation would be piddly over 5 years

is it 15k now for a 2023 if I’m reading above posts correctly? Thats cracking value

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,916 ✭✭✭User1998

There are currently no E Up’s for that price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

It's a pity they don't have a middle seat belt in the back, I'd nearly buy one otherwise. The 24 ones seem great value, one of the times a car would be cheaper than its UK counterpart.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭tlaavtech

The three-door is a four-seater, the 5-door is a five-seater.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-e-up-style-32kwh-82hp-3dr-auto/32729776?modal=gallery

DD Ad posted is a 5 door e-Up and I can only see 2 rear seatbelts ?? (Photo 7/28)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

It would be great if it did but I don't think so.

Only two headrests anyway so I'd say you're correct unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

The only 5 seats Ups are the ones that were sold sold in Brazil at some point, and they were slightly longer with a few design mods. I don't think there was ever an electric version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

A 5 seat eUp is exactly what the eGolf is. Same battery. Fun to drive.

An ID3 is better 5 seater EV than an eGolf. More connected apps etc, faster charging, bigger battery, more rear legroom. But it feels like you're driving a buggy smart phone with no buttons.

They can all do longer trips. But if you do a lot of it can of longer trips you want the ID3. Nav and range and legroom. If you want bigger then ID4.

Really depends on budget. You'll get a low mileage eGolf for the same price as a very high mileage ID3 that's almost out of warranty.

Or get a deal on a nearly new eUp. It was a tad to small for me.

Advertisement