Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freight rail in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

Where exactly would you be bringing this oil that requires a rail link and why would it be transferred onto rail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

IE 222 wrote: »
    Where exactly would you be bringing this oil that requires a rail link and why would it be transferred onto rail.

The oil is landed by a tanker, pumped into large shore tanks, then pumped out of large tanks into a rake of tankers and pulled by 078 in retro livery. They then head for the South Wexford line because that justifies it's reopening, stopping at Wellingtonbridge for photos. At Rosslare Europort their liquid cargo is pumped back into similarly large tanks and the same ship that landed the oil in Waterford then receives the same load and then finally heads off to the a refinery.

Is this a fictional theory or is there a possible field off Dungarvan. I thought we stopped exploring.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

IE 222 wrote: »
    Is this a fictional theory or is there a possible field off Dungarvan. I thought we stopped exploring.

it's fictional.
    the discussion began over a poster asking a politician such a question so as to gauge some things about that politician presumably to see whether they were genuine or not.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

donvito99 wrote: »
    The oil is landed by a tanker, pumped into large shore tanks, then pumped out of large tanks into a rake of tankers and pulled by 078 in retro livery. They then head for the South Wexford line because that justifies it's reopening, stopping at Wellingtonbridge for photos. At Rosslare Europort their liquid cargo is pumped back into similarly large tanks and the same ship that landed the oil in Waterford then receives the same load and then finally heads off to the a refinery.

And the ship then brings it back down to the refinery in Whitegate. Then the refined product is barreled, palletised and loaded by onto rail again at a spur off the line at Midleton for distribution around the country. These barrel distribution wagons could be adapted from the 8200s and 2700s, with bogies salvaged from the ex Belmont MkIIIs. All hauled by B101 class 103 and a few Metrovicks re-engined with an EMD 710 recovered from the non-push pull 201s in flying snail livery. They would be loose coupled to allow for splitting trains at destinations for offloading the barrels wagons by steam powered forklifts driven by volunteer enthusiasts. Naturally, the distribution into the midlands would be via the BnM narrow gauge network, so there would be transfer marshalling yards where the pallets of barrels are tansferred to trains of refurbished NG ex BnM flats and locos for distribution around the bog villages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

And the ship then brings it back down to the refinery in Whitegate. Then the refined product is barreled, palletised and loaded by onto rail again at a spur off the line at Midleton for distribution around the country. These barrel distribution wagons could be adapted from the 8200s and 2700s, with bogies salvaged from the ex Belmont MkIIIs. All hauled by B101 class 103 and a few Metrovicks re-engined with an EMD 710 recovered from the non-push pull 201s in flying snail livery. Loose coupled to allow for splitting trains at destinations for offloading the barrels wagons by steam powered forklifts adapted from salvaged ex BnM locomotives driven by volunteer enthusiasts.

You would need to rehabilitate the refinery at Whitegate. Mr Gaddafi or his successor could perhaps supply spare parts.

What is wrong with the refinery?

What is wrong with the refinery?

It closed years ago.

No it didn't. I was on a tour of it in 2018 and it was very much operational. Run by Irving oil.

No it didn't. I was on a tour of it in 2018 and it was very much operational. Run by Irving oil.

Very good, I had thought it closed about the year 2000, it must have been rescued.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭dowlingm

apparently the planning permission for the mine stipulates rail haulage must be used.
    when the Silvermines shale traffic ceased did that require a PP change? Can’t remember myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

3) Reviving rail freight in Ireland could potentially shift some of the road freight volume to the more environmental-friendly rail mode. Paradoxically, rail freight in Ireland is facing great challenges to grow and has dropped to one of the lowest levels in terms of modal share among other EU states.

https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2021/0427/1212308-are-we-on-the-road-to-sustainable-freight-transport/

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭andrewfaulk

More of a mention in passing than anything..

Will be interesting to see what happens with a green transport minister.. he’s already announced a few handouts for hauliers, nothing yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

apparently the planning permission for the mine stipulates rail haulage must be used.
    dowlingm wrote: »
    when the Silvermines shale traffic ceased did that require a PP change? Can’t remember myself.

The Shale ran from Kilmastulla, not Silvermines (that was the Barytes train).

Rail haulage was never a PP condition for transport to Castlemungret, and contrary to popular belief is not a condition imposed on Boliden for the Tara Mines, in fact it is a condition of contract with IE that road transport must be provided for by IE if they can't run the train for whatever reason and this has happened on many occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

GM228 wrote: »
    The Shale ran from Kilmastulla, not Silvermines (that was the Barytes train).

Rail haulage was never a PP condition for transport to Castlemungret, and contrary to popular belief is not a condition imposed on Boliden for the Tara Mines, in fact it is a condition of contract with IE that road transport must be provided for by IE if they can't run the train for whatever reason and this has happened on many occasions.

I'm almost 101% certain that it was a condition of planning permission for the mine that the ore be moved to Dublin Port by rail.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I'm almost 101% certain that it was a condition of planning permission for the mine that the ore be moved to Dublin Port by rail.

Droves of trucks have regularly shipped ore from Navan to Dublin Port, both in lieu of a train and as a supplement to it, if not permitted then this would never happen.

It's been reported alright in many places that it is a condition but, the licence T&Cs have never been made public and are subject to lots of speculation, however there was a mid 1990s Oireachtas debate on planning for mines in which the then Minister for Marine and Natural Resources Michael Woods stated that the road/rail option was a matter for the mining company alone and the matter could not be dictated, I'll try and find it.

The contract between Boliden and IE has always had a clause that IE would use road transport in lieu of the train if needed, again if not permitted it would not be in the contract.

There was an issue with carrying 45ft 9'6" reefer containers, however that issue has been sorted and such containers are cleared from next week between Waterford/Dublin and Ballina so the XPO liner is back on track, but no start date.

Just an update on this, contracts have now been signed and the XPO liner is due to commence in 3 weeks.

Just an update on this, contracts have now been signed and the XPO liner is due to commence in 3 weeks.

Yes, heard it on the radio.
    Xpo seem to have a capable communication officer.
    It is great news.

tabbey wrote: »
    Yes, heard it on the radio.
    Xpo seem to have a capable communication officer.
    It is great news.

The PR spin being put on it would make it seem like good news alright.. I would give it a mixed news

The PR spin being put on it would make it seem like good news alright.. I would give it a mixed news

Thank you for letting us know that it is not entirely good news. Is it perhaps at the expense of the existing Dublin- Mayo railway traffic?

• Advertisement

Thank you for letting us know that it is not entirely good news. Is it perhaps at the expense of the existing Dublin- Mayo railway traffic?

Unless IE have been hiding a full set of LX wagons and a couple of vacuum freight trained drivers for the past 10 years, they don't actually have the resources to support the new business.. But never let fine details get in the way of a good news story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Unless IE have been hiding a full set of LX wagons and a couple of vacuum freight trained drivers for the past 10 years, they don't actually have the resources to support the new business.. But never let fine details get in the way of a good news story

So you're saying it's all a pack of lies and the company involved are just taking the proverbial and the new service isn't going to happen? :rolleyes:

Would the container pocket wagons be a help? Saw a half dozen in Waterford yesterday.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    So you're saying it's all a pack of lies and the company involved are just taking the proverbial and the new service isn't going to happen? :rolleyes:

No, I’m fairly sure XPO are a serious business proposition for IE.. What I’m saying is IE don’t have the resources to operate the announced service as well as” continuing to work with existing customers” to use their own words

Would the container pocket wagons be a help? Saw a half dozen in Waterford yesterday.

IE quoting 8 month lead time to restore to service so no use for end of june

I had assumed that xpo and iwt were the same or connected, it sounds like I was mistaken.

Are both competing for the same customer, coca cola, or is there an additional source of traffic?

Can the spoil wagons not be used as a last resort if their that short?

I'd presume it's some of the Dublin traffic will just divert back to Waterford. I doubt they'd be signing contracts if they couldn't provide the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭91wx763

A Waterford IE fiend tells me it's only going to Sallypark yard but the customer hasn't realised that yet.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

12 YO son is mad into trains and would like to get a video of an Irish freight train.

Was thinking just parking up near the Tara mines line near a level crossing and waiting it out. How many are running there per day does anyone know?

Advertisement