Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freight rail in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

91wx763 wrote: »
    A Waterford IE fiend tells me it's only going to Sallypark yard but the customer hasn't realised that yet.....

Why would it only go as far as Sallypark?

Whatever some might think of IE their both professional companies doing business here. I'd be fairly certain both companies have had detailed discussions about the service and have agreed and ironed out exactly how and where the service will run too before signing contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Rootsblower

IE 222 wrote: »
    Why would it only go as far as Sallypark?

Whatever some might think of IE their both professional companies doing business here. I'd be fairly certain both companies have had detailed discussions about the service and have agreed and ironed out exactly how and where the service will run too before signing contracts.

Finally some sense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

91wx763 wrote: »
    A Waterford IE fiend tells me it's only going to Sallypark yard but the customer hasn't realised that yet.....

Is the railway between Sallypark and Belview closed now?
    I thought that the track beside the closed main platforms was available for freight movement towards the Rosslare direction.

Mimon wrote: »
    12 YO son is mad into trains and would like to get a video of an Irish freight train.

Was thinking just parking up near the Tara mines line near a level crossing and waiting it out. How many are running there per day does anyone know?

There is one main level crossing at Beauparc, midway between Navan and Drogheda. Another one at Navan station itself.
    It's difficult to be sure that a particular Tara train will run at all, never mind on time, but loaded trains usually leave Navan about 0900 or 0930 on weekdays getting to Dublin North Wall about 1100. The second one leaves Navan about midday getting to Dublin about 1430.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭andrewfaulk

tabbey wrote: »
    Is the railway between Sallypark and Belview closed now?
    I thought that the track beside the closed main platforms was available for freight movement towards the Rosslare direction.

It was closed for a few weeks earlier this year to facilitate demolition work on the north quays, old IE dormitory and the cottages alongside the line.. It’s back open now but there is a possibility it will be closed for up to 2 years if the north quays and new station construction goes ahead.. The work in Sallypark may just be as a fall back option if the North quays goes ahead

• Advertisement

Why would the line need to close for 2 years. The line will be separate from the development.

Why would the line need to close for 2 years. The line will be separate from the development.

The development includes a new station over the existing line.. You can't build over an active rail line, so it is proposed to take the line under a T3 possession to facilitate the work..

https://waterfordnorthquays.ie/construction-of-a-new-transport-hub/

The development includes a new station over the existing line.. You can't build over an active rail line, so it is proposed to take the line under a T3 possession to facilitate the work..

I am familiar with the term "possession", but what specifically is a T3 possession?

The station concourse will be over the line. It's basically a bridge and not much different than Parkwest, Clondalkin or what's planned for Kylmore, if that goes ahead. They didn't need to close rail lines for 2 years to build them.

Other than relaying the line I can't see why the line would need to be closed for a prolonged period. It's a precast structure so will be assembled rather easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

They built a new roof over Pearse with a few weekend closures, so no problem operate under the works if a crash deck is installed or you crane in the bits over a long weekend. Most decks are cast off site anyway

They built Adamstown, Parkwest etc with minimal operational impact, certainly didn't close the Dublin Cork mainline for 2 years

Lots of doom sayers looking for problems.

• Advertisement

Up to 2 years is what I was told.. Same source as the 8 months to re-instate the pocket wagons.. Both times do seem excessive to me, but maybe there is an element of engineers within IE quoting longer times than people might expect things to take

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Whatever happens it will prob be fine for the next year anyway now that a new developers are been looked for. Council will not start on the station until overall work starts.

If the will is there traffic can flow to the port, yes closure needed but 24/7 closure is the easier option which IE are used to. If that fails PoW and Eamon Ryan will put the pressure on in due course and disruption will be limited and solutions found!

Page 14:
    Construction Stage CE Response:
    While it is proposed to close the line during
    construction to expedite the works as efficiently,
    cost effectively and safely as possible, the
    existing track will remain in place and will be
    available for limited use should it be necessary.
    Such use could impact on the delivery of the
    project and requirements would therefore be
    reviewed on a case by case basis. The track and
    signalling alterations, which will be carried out
    during the latter stages of construction, will result
    in disruption to the access to Belview but every
    reasonable effort will be made to minimise
    disruption.

https://www.waterfordcouncil.ie/media/projects/public-consultations/sdz-transport-hub/190911%20CE%20Report%20Transport%20Hub.pdf

No creditable reason for long term closure during construction.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Makes sense.

I see the plans and drawings show double track running up to Plunkett. Is there any info if the double track will continue up to Limerick Jct line.

Have they announced what will happen with the old station?

Up to 2 years is what I was told.. Same source as the 8 months to re-instate the pocket wagons.. Both times do seem excessive to me, but maybe there is an element of engineers within IE quoting longer times than people might expect things to take

How long are the pockets out of use? Where not been used to supplement the Dublin service?

How long are the pockets out of use? Where not been used to supplement the Dublin service?

Since the end of the DFDS service, so since the end of June 2018..

Dublin-Ballina uses 3 sets of flat wagons, pocket's havent been on IWT's since summer 2017

I'll pass the message back to my sources in IE for you so and they can take it up with the IM

Since the end of the DFDS service, so since the end of June 2018..

Dublin-Ballina uses 3 sets of flat wagons, pocket's have been on IWT's since summer 2017

Cheers, I thought they were moved onto Dublin freight for the extra flows. As you say 8 months sounds a bit far fetched for any stock to under go exams ect.

I'll pass the message back to my sources in IE for you so and they can take it up with the IM

You sure can!

I don't want to argue with you but the railway line doesn't need to close for the majority of the project. The council response will have been directly fed back from IE who I understand requested it to be operational.

If XPO starts and proves to be successful they should be considered a priority by IE and all reasonable avenues explored to ensure full operations. Longer liners could possibly help to reduce the number of movements during any construction.
    Makes sense.

I see the plans and drawings show double track running up to Plunkett. Is there any info if the double track will continue up to Limerick Jct line.

Have they announced what will happen with the old station?

Anything other than the double is unknown (the published reports say design is IE area), it should be double from the new station to where they branch off today. The whole yard will likely be done so they should do it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭DoctorPan

tabbey wrote: »
    I am familiar with the term "possession", but what specifically is a T3 possession?

Full line closure, given over to CCE department. Also know as a Green Zone or Green Line Working.

• Advertisement

You sure can!

I don't want to argue with you but the railway line doesn't need to close for the majority of the project. The council response will have been directly fed back from IE who I understand requested it to be operational.

If XPO starts and proves to be successful they should be considered a priority by IE and all reasonable avenues explored to ensure full operations. Longer liners could possibly help to reduce the number of movements during any construction.

Anything other than the double is unknown (the published reports say design is IE area), it should be double from the new station to where they branch off today. The whole yard will likely be done so they should do it right.

Running the return service on the same day is another option. I'd imagine at the time of writing them plans there was no services in the pipeline.

Doubling all the way up would be pretty much as good as a 3rd platform. The drawings also show tracks slightly venturing up the New Ross line, will this be used for stabling?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭tnegun

What congestion does the IWT liner cause that its being refused access to the port? Surely it be timed or held in the NW yard to arrive the port at the least congested time or what am I missing?

It seems like a crazy decision hopefully it will be reversed in time. The level of congestion doesn't seem proportionate to this decision but then again I don't know how they operate.

Its 10 years next month since the rail extension opened. I note it was DP who funded this. Had it been IE at the time prehaps they would have had more influence. In theory could they just return to loading/unloading at Alexandra like before?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

so the train can't access the particular terminal due to congestion, yet i would imagine the load will now go by road to dublin port, adding more congestion.
    because presumably this is a whole port issue since if it was just that terminal then they could accommodate overload in other parts of the port?
    makes no sense to me anyway, but perhapse more information will come out in due course which will clear things up.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

tnegun wrote: »
    What congestion does the IWT liner cause that its being refused access to the port? Surely it be timed or held in the NW yard to arrive the port at the least congested time or what am I missing?

Since the main access to Dublin port was moved to the promenade road, there has been very little road traffic on Alexandra road.
    If a truck driver complains about a few minutes delay while a train reverses down Alexandra road, he should be told to use the other entry.
    Perhaps Dublin Port company mean shipping congestion, in which case I W T should do business with Waterford Port.

Is this the reason Waterford is restarting or is this lost business?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Is this the reason Waterford is restarting or is this lost business?

it comes across to me that this was sudden, so likely lost business if so.
    guess we will have to wait and see.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭DoctorPan

Reports coming in that Dublin Port has relented and the liner will start again next week

DoctorPan wrote: »
    Reports coming in that Dublin Port has relented and the liner will start again next week

Good news. Seen as Coca Cola purposely opt for rail transport on this route could they've played a part in getting it back on the rails? I doubt they were to happy about Dublin Port dictating and forcing their goods back onto the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,347 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Given the Irish Times just reported the link as severed this morning it seems that it hasn’t/ won’t be restarted.

Advertisement