Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insuring an import car these days

Options
  • 21-11-2019 2:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

I've been in Oz for 10 years just quoted on an import Accord there for when i get home in a few weeks and was absolutely shocked.

Has anyone got a recent policy on an import car and were still standing after the phone call?

43 yrs old with 2 yrs NCB from Australia.

Feeling like i'm 21 again for the wrong reasons actually when i was 21 my first car insurance policy on my own was cheaper!

I have experience with One direct through An Post with previous imports,they will be my next call it's been 10 yrs since that policy.

I know it is bad back there but when the quote is 65% the value of the car that is taking the....

Thanks Greg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

What age is the car? And what car is it? Why a import also when it is an accord. If it was a ek9 or dc2 or some other Jap only market car but UK/Ireland got accords. The lack of NCB in Ireland and import are two negatives to try get a decent quote, maybe just buy a Irish car for a while to build NCB and then try the import. I'm insured with Liberty on a Jap import 1998. Axa are also good to insure my car but most of the others refused but not them all you will just have to either call and see as their online systems sometimes refuse but if you called them up they will quote you.

Also maybe try a broker who can try and leverage your OZ NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Yeah mate my wife just said Axa too after a read up.
    2002 Euro R it is.
    Always had my imports and never had it any other way,received some paperwork today from my insurer here so i might get a proper foot in with this----

"Thank you for contacting Shannons in regards to your insurance. Attached is your 2018 – 2019 renewal which shows on pg.4 that you have had 0 claims , and on pg.5 that you had a 65% no claim bonus"

I heard Axa may take the OZ Ncb too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Unless you already have an existing insurance policy here getting insured on an import for new business is very hard. You'll be very limited on the companies that will even quote.
    Recommend Autoline for classic policies.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057482518&page=289

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Last 4 cars all import (Honda's, Suzuki) liberty ,all good

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement