Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to PC

Options
  • 21-11-2019 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭

I only use a PC for web browsing, email etc. I have an old Dell Tower that's slow & clunky running, about to be obselete, Windows 7.

I am looking for a PC to connect to my existing monitor, keyboard & mouse. I don't want a laptop. What are the options ? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

So you're still looking for a PC then just something more modern.
    What's your budget?
    How computer literate are you?
    Would you be comfortable using something that's not windows? A chromebox maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

What connections are available on your monitor? Are your mouse and keyboard both USB? And most importantly, what's your budget?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 12,798 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Get a refurbished small form factor PC, i5, 8GB RAM. You'll pick one up for less than 200 quid and it will last you for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

The Nal wrote: »
    Get a refurbished small form factor PC, i5, 8GB RAM. You'll pick one up for less than 200 quid and it will last you for years.

I would also recommend something like this. Make sure it runs off an SSD and not a 2.5in HDD, and then it would have no moving parts, dead quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I would be fine with a small form pc or chromebox.

But both seem more expensive than their laptop equivalents for brands I recognise.

There are lots cheaper on Amazon but from manufacturers that I don't recognise.

• Advertisement

Have a root through these guys stuff. Bought a PC from them for 120 quid a few years ago. Really good and they offer upgrades. Dont bother with a new machine if its just for light use like browsing.

https://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_guffyk+/

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭raxy

What would opinions be on cloudbooks like this?

https://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/asus-e203ma-fd017ts-intel-celeron-4gb-ram-64gb-emmc-ssd-116-inch-hd-laptop-grey-with-microsoft-office-365-personal-1-year-included/1600391761.prd

I'd only have very light use. Web browsing, Netflix occasionally & word/excel. Don't have a lot to spend atm & a full laptop with ok specs is pricey. I am considering used as posted above but am a but am not sure if a used laptop will have issues, I'd like good battery life as well which used laptops might not have.

I have a toshiba A150 which is next to useless. Only AMD E1 processor & useless battery.

"Celeron"

Careful now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Op

Would you be tempted to buy second-hand?

There are plenty of decent units out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

What is the spec of your present tower?

Is it possible it could be upgraded with some more RAM and maybe even a CPU upgrade?

If the hardware is OK then maybe a change of OS might give it a new lease of life.
    You might even consider a Linux OS on it for the simple stuff you need it for.

• Advertisement
Advertisement