Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2k fine for 30k above limit...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Keith186 wrote: »
    Ross has got the formula all wrong, should be on percentages over the limit instead like some other places have but he still managed to mess it up.
    I disagree. Consider how much energy is in a vehicle materially above 100 km/h on a road that could have vulnerable road users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Victor wrote: »
    I disagree. Consider how much energy is in a vehicle materially above 100 km/h on a road that could have vulnerable road users.

A bike doing 130kmh on the M50 is going to kill all the cyclists and children playing on the road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

batman_oh wrote: »
    A bike doing 130kmh on the M50 is going to kill all the cyclists and children playing on the road?

Proper LOL'd at this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

batman_oh wrote: »
    I specifically didn't mention the M50.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Good news this, that's 80kph in 50kph zone or 60kph outside a school! They do this in Germany. I believe it's an automatic disqualification for double the speed limit. In Sweden I think the fine is down to how rich you are!

As should be the case here. Someone earning 25k receiving the same fine as a multi-millionaire is comical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

As should be the case here. Someone earning 25k receiving the same fine as a multi-millionaire is comical.

Even worse when they pay same motor tax.

How comical...

The outrage over this is comical, too, since there is no enforcement nothing will change.

Literally nothing. Just in case watch your speedo, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

What year was the motor way speed limit set to 70mph?

Think cars have come on a fair bit since then, so up the limit to 150kph and bring in the 2k fine for 30 over the limit at the same time.

Target the ones who speed past schools and through housing estates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

110-130 limit is standard all across Europe really.

Then you have environmental impact etc so forget about it being increased anytime soon, if ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭D3V!L

They'll do a token "slow-down" weekend where they'll enforce this and make a big deal about it in the media. Then F*CK all will happen after that. Like every other law in the country, people will flaunt it and nothing will be enforced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭H_Lime

You don't have to be caught by the fuzz themselves, what if yer flashed by the van over 30k.
    Mark my words, loads are going to be reamed by this and it reinforces my belief that obscure isolated back roads on a single are all there is left lol.

H_Lime wrote: »
    You don't have to be caught by the fuzz themselves, what if yer flashed by the van over 30k.
    Mark my words, loads are going to be reamed by this and it reinforces my belief that obscure isolated back roads on a single are all there is left lol.

Having owned a 660, 950SM and 990SMR KTM I really do miss access to these types of roads. Those bikes let you go bananas on tight, bumpy stuff and were epic fun. The Sally Gap on a midweek evening and all the various roads that run up to the crossroads are amazing fun. As is all the way out to Glenmalure and beyond. North Dublin has lots of good empty backroads too.

Many are utterly awful on anything big and fast and downright misery on a sportsbike. I would have no hesitation going back to a 690SMCR or 701SM Husqvarna if this ****e came in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Well they don't put speed vans on bends so hoon on the twisties and leave the fines for the straight line demons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭blade1

zubair wrote: »
    Well they don't put speed vans on bends so hoon on the twisties and leave the fines for the straight line demons.
    Yep,anyone that can only go fast in a straight line deserves to be fined.
    Probably **** themselves if they had to stop in a hurry or avoid something.

These days my spins are mostly leisure.
    Out through forest roads and Mountains.
    Deers jumping over ditches,goats, sheep and young fellas driving huge tractors coming around bends taking up most of the road while, usually, on theirs phone.
    It's great practice for the reflexes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Keyzer wrote: »
    Good - driving in this country is a horrible experience, the aggression on the roads is incredible.

I dont find that to be true. Yes there are a lot of numpties out there but generally the climate is benign enough. If anything its rather sedate. I'm not in Dublin, big city drivers are always that bit more aggressive. Half the country folk drive 10 or 20 under the limit these days 'just to be sure' or to save fuel or thats all they're comfortable with or 'becasue'. Which is often frustrating. Doing 80 on a good wide country should be slow enough even for the 'careful brigade', 60 is just painful. I'm not a racer but I dont want to count the daisies by the roadside either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Peatys wrote: »
    What year was the motor way speed limit set to 70mph?

Think cars have come on a fair bit since then, so up the limit to 150kph and bring in the 2k fine for 30 over the limit at the same time.

Target the ones who speed past schools and through housing estates.

As a biker, you still die just as much as you did then. Nothing much has changed for us safety wise .

Cars going faster are just more risk for us as well.

I personally dont get any enjoyment out of straight line speed. And tend never to go over 80. Never did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭H_Lime

As a biker, you still die just as much as you did then. Nothing much has changed for us safety wise .

I personally dont get any enjoyment out of straight line speed. And tend never to go over 80. Never did.

In terms of absolutes youre correct but..... Big advances in elect rider aids on bikes. I know I couldn't do in the wet on my mitchelin hi sports what I can on pr5. Jackets have airbags set off by g force, helmets and gear made huge leaps too. Abs brakes common place too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Being caught once in the cage but never caught on the bike.. no front licence plate helps and the rear is probably too small for the camera, but still, be careful out there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Tyres and diesel not half dear enough for some folk. +1 minister

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Ross proposed anything 30kph over the limit is a mandatory dangerous driving conviction only last year, now its a mandatory court appearance 30kph over so most likely still a dangerous driving conviction. Madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Keyzer wrote: »
    Good - driving in this country is a horrible experience, the aggression on the roads is incredible.

Ever driven in Italy??

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Ever driven in Italy??
    Drove to Tavullia last year on FJR. An enlightening experience I would describe it as. :D:eek:

Straight line speed isn't really more likely to kill you on a bike than going around corners. The 2 times I know of where somebody died on a bike spin were both slow speed in corners where they ran wide and ended up either on or going off the wrong side of the road. Things pulling out of side roads and driveways etc are also much more visible on straights.
    And if that's 80kmh you are some saint - a lot of bikes are barely moving in first gear at that point! I'd agree prolonged straight line speed down a wide open road is pretty boring and not something I'd do, but for me one of the most enjoyable things on a big bike anyway is picking up out of a corner and giving it beans until the next one on a twisty road. It's why I like the big capacity V-Twins - lots of instant power without the need to rev it and get it spinning up at crazy speed on straights

Advertisement