If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query: New TV with Freesat and Saorview

Options
  • 21-11-2019 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi guys , i currently have sky tv and were thinking of getting rid of it and getting broadband instead with a new tv with built in freeview and ssorview ......is there a tv with these and record option aswell.....idealy you could watch one station while recording another .......im not too up on tv tech
    Thanks Liam

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment

I've given your query a separate thread - easier for RS to manage.

Cheers,

Ritz.

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

davidx40 wrote: »
    Hi guys , i currently have sky tv and were thinking of getting rid of it and getting broadband instead with a new tv with built in freeview and ssorview ......is there a tv with these and record option aswell.....idealy you could watch one station while recording another .......im not too up on tv tech
    Thanks Liam
    Hi Liam,

You can get a TV with a Freeview and Freesat tuner built in however in order to record onto USB and watch a different channel you would need a TV with twin tuners.

What size of TV are you looking for and I can research some options for you?

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

Im looking for exact same around 32 inch for a bedroom 
    Hope it's ok to jump onto this thread.  Thanks

buzzerxx wrote: »
    Hi buzzerxx,

I don't actually have any 32" TVs that would have Saorview, Freesat and twin tuners. I can certainly get you a 32" Smart Saorview TV though.

Let me know what you think.

Kind regards

David

Hi buzzerxx,

I don't actually have any 32" TVs that would have Saorview, Freesat and twin tuners. I can certainly get you a 32" Smart Saorview TV though.

Kind regards

David
    whats the closest size with  Saorview, Freesat and twin tuners ?

• Advertisement

Hi buzzerxx,

Kind regards

David
    Hi buzzerxx,

Let me look at the specs and get back to you.

Kind regards

David

Hi buzzerxx,

Kind regards

David
    Hi buzzerxx,

Kind regards

David
    Anything on this yet?

Hi buzzerxx,

Kind regards

David
    Hi buzzerxx,

Kind regards

David
    Anything on this yet?
    Hi buzzerxx,

The smallest I can find with this capability is the Samsung QE43Q60R at £529 which has an aerial and satellite tuner as well as twin tuners:

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-203991-samsung-qe43q60r-43-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-qled-tv-tvplus.aspx?swapstore=1

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

I've been following this thread as I'd also be interested in this tv for my parents.  I've seen this tv on currys.ie website for €629 - can you beat this price?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭davidx40

I've been following this thread as I'd also be interested in this tv for my parents.  I've seen this tv on currys.ie website for €629 - can you beat this price?

Hi David
    That looks good , im no expert on subject ...it says in spec it has tv plus aerial/ sattelite and twin tuners ...could you explain

Thanks

• Advertisement

That looks good , im no expert on subject ...it says in spec it has tv plus aerial/ sattelite and twin tuners ...could you explain

Thanks
    Hi, think David means by aerial tuner that it can tune Freeview/Saorview stations (depending whether you are in the UK or Ireland - so the stations that are being picked up by an aerial on your home) and by Satellite tuner it means that you can tune in the Freesat channels also - so any stations received by a satellite dish on your house.  The twin tuner part means that you watch two Freeview/saorview channels at the same time or two Freesat channesl at the same time(so say one on the tv and one on another device like a tablet) or alternatively record one channel on an external drive connected to the tv while watching another channel.  I have an older Samsung TV and that's the way it works anyway - I have Saorview and Freesat channels tuned in and can switch between both so it's great not to need another box and then I can record onto an external usb drive and can series link for the Freesat channels.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi David

Thanks
    Hi Adelcrowsmel.

TV Plus is Samsung's version of the Freeview/Saorview EPG.

Aerial is pretty straight forward - This is a connection for your Aerial to be be connected to which allows you to tune in Saorview.
    Satellite - This is a connection for a Satellite cable should you have an satellite dish installed. This will allow you to receive FreeSat.

Twin tuners - Allows to watch either two Saorview or Satellite channels at the same time. You can also use these to record the second channels programme on a USB stick or hard drive using the second tuner.

Hope this explains thing a little.

I also checked over the Currys.ie price on it and they charge 24.99 Euro delivery. Makes them a little more expensive than ourselves.
    However I will offer to match their 629 Euro price as you can pick one up form their stores at this price.

Hi David

Thanks
    Hi Adelcrowsmel.

Aerial is pretty straight forward - This is a connection for your Aerial to be be connected to which allows you to tune in Saorview.
    Satellite - This is a connection for a Satellite cable should you have an satellite dish installed. This will allow you to receive FreeSat.

Twin tuners - Allows to watch either two Saorview or Satellite channels at the same time. You can also use these to record the second channels programme on a USB stick or hard drive using the second tuner.

I also checked over the Currys.ie price on it and they charge 24.99 Euro delivery. Makes them a little more expensive than ourselves.
    However I will offer to match their 629 Euro price as you can pick one up form their stores at this price.
    Just another quick question about the twin tuners....if you have a Freesat station recording can you watch another Freesat station....example record BBC1 and watch UTV or Channel 4 say?  I have an older F8000 series and I can do this but a friend said their newer Samsung TV can't as it's all about multplexes now....is that the case with this TV - they said they can't record BBC1 and watch BBC2 now which makes no sense to me but they contacted Samsung and they told them that's the way it works now?  Also they said the ability to edit cahnnel names/numbers is gone from new Samsung TV so they can't edit the Saorview stations into numerical order say which is what I'd want to do also

Hi David

Thanks
    Hi Adelcrowsmel.

Just another quick question about the twin tuners....if you have a Freesat station recording can you watch another Freesat station....example record BBC1 and watch UTV or Channel 4 say?  I have an older F8000 series and I can do this but a friend said their newer Samsung TV can't as it's all about multplexes now....is that the case with this TV - they said they can't record BBC1 and watch BBC2 now which makes no sense to me but they contacted Samsung and they told them that's the way it works now?  Also they said the ability to edit cahnnel names/numbers is gone from new Samsung TV so they can't edit the Saorview stations into numerical order say which is what I'd want to do also
    Hi Adelcrowsmel.

To be honest we would need to call Samsung ourselves to check this.

Does you friend own one of the 43Q60R televisions and was it this they contacted Samsung about?

As far as I was aware twin tuners allowed for recording one station while watching another. Unless Samsung this time around have used the term Twin tuner for the fact that it has both a Saorivew tuner and a satellite tuner.
    It does state in the 43Q60 manual on Page 85:
    ● Record: You can record the programme that you are currently watching or a programme on another channel. " This function may not be supported depending on the model or geographical area.
    To me if you could only record the station you are watching it would not mention the "or a programme on another channel" bit.
    I will call Samsung tomorrow morning and confirm this up for you.

On the the editing channels.
    Page 93-95 in the manual show how to do this.
    http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201910/20191024133448825/MUSDVBEUR-3.0.0_EM_MUSE_EU_ENG_190820.0.pdf

I will also double check this tomorrow when we call them.

Hey Again Adelcrowsmel.

I checked a 43Q60 that we have here at the store and was able to record one station while watching a 2nd using the Freeview/Saorview tuner with no issues and it was very straight forward to do.
    I recorded BBC1 and then switched over to both BBC2 and CH4 and watched them as BBC1 recorded. (I watched the playback and it was perfect).

In the south you will not get the BBC or UK stations via the Saorview tuner (due to location) but this process with work the same when recording the Saorview stations.

We do also have a satellite feed here at the store but I will need to wait until tomorrow to test this out as it involves moving several TV's around but it will be good to confirm this for our own knowledge.

Thanks Kenny, that's good to know!!

Just a follow up to let you know....I called around to my friends last night to check their TV out myself......they have a 55Q60 and that's what they contacted Samsung about through their online chat facility. However what they were told about the twin/dual tuner was definitely not correct as the issue they were having was due to the fact that they had tuned in the satellite stations without the dual option selected so that is fixed for them now....I knew that myself from having my older F8000 TV so could tell them that.  The option to edit the channel names definitely doesn't work though.....the option is greyed out....not selectable. We even came across Samychan online and tried that last night....it doesn't work either....you can edit the channel and import the channels list and all is fine, but if you turn of the tv and turn it on again the channel numbers are back to what they were....the changes/edits don't hold.

Just a follow up to let you know....I called around to my friends last night to check their TV out myself......they have a 55Q60 and that's what they contacted Samsung about through their online chat facility. However what they were told about the twin/dual tuner was definitely not correct as the issue they were having was due to the fact that they had tuned in the satellite stations without the dual option selected so that is fixed for them now....I knew that myself from having my older F8000 TV so could tell them that.  The option to edit the channel names definitely doesn't work though.....the option is greyed out....not selectable. We even came across Samychan online and tried that last night....it doesn't work either....you can edit the channel and import the channels list and all is fine, but if you turn of the tv and turn it on again the channel numbers are back to what they were....the changes/edits don't hold.
    Hey Adelcrowsmel.

Cheer for the extra info.

Strange on the Channel editing been greyed out yet has the section in their manual.
    I've tried ours and its the same.

I'll get one of my colleague to drop Samsung a call on this.

Hey Adelcrowsmel.

Strange on the Channel editing been greyed out yet has the section in their manual.

Thanks great Kenny, thanks!

Hey Adelcrowsmel.

Thanks great Kenny, thanks!
    Hey Adelcrowsmel.

Sorry for the delay.

I had been off for a few days there.

Spoke to Samsung and they tell me that the editing stations only work on Analogue broadcasts which we no longer have unfortunately.
    I've tried our 43" here at the store and it is all greyed out also.

Seems strange that this feature would not work for digital television.

Great, thanks for the update, appreciate it!

• Advertisement

Great, thanks for the update, appreciate it!
    No problem at all Adelcrowsmel.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.