Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going all in- The search for X% to go sub 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I done the BB HM last St Patricks day - its an 'undulating' route (if its the same route x2?)

I'd be incorporating some hills at RP if you are going to be doing this.

THIS is the loop

I think it's different to the one you did??

The Popupraces one you linked in the main forum earlier looks the most attractive at this stage.

Friday 6th March: 6 miles easy @ 8:25 min/mi, HR 144 bpm.

Easy miles again. Ran with a buddy and tried to work through best options for a goal race. Changing the plan and doing the last 16 mile LR this weekend was one option but I felt it would push me over the edge which I am close to at the moment in terms of fatigue and minor niggles. Decided I'd take a peak at the PopUpRaces spring marathon course over the weekend as a possible replacement for Manchester. The funny thing is Manchester hasn't been cancelled yet. I've been following things closely and the UK seem to be taking a very British, stiff upper lip, we shall not be moved approach to cancelling events which is admirable in a way. But then you look at what has gone down in Italy and you wonder how much longer that approach is feasible?

Friday 7th March: 8 miles easy @ 8:26 min/mi, HR 149 bpm

This was supposed to be one of two 10 milers. Just felt flat, weary and unmotivated. Called it a day at 8 miles.

Sunday 8th March: 12 miles easy @ 7:31 min/mi, HR 142 bpm[/B]

Got up in two minds weather to go out and get the final 16 mile LR done in order to do the Balbriggan Marathon a week earlier than the scheduled race date. The truth was physically and mentally I wasn't up for it. I just felt I needed some clarity on what I was going to do. Went for a Sunday spin with the family under the guise of a trip to the national stud in Kildare (my daughter is horse mad) the fact that the route of the PopUpRaces Spring Marathon passes the stud was secondary! Long story short I drove the route and it's shocking. Not just the fact that it's all long drags and hills but the surface of the road, part of which is through a bog and the tarmac looks like there was a recent earthquake with subsidence and the pot holes were atrocious. Not great but perhaps beggars can't be choosers and it may have to do. But drove away after a walk around the National Stud without the clarity I'd been hoping for.
    Wind, rain and hailstones when I got home had me getting changed and heading for the treadmill to grid out a boring 12 mile run.

Monday 8th March: 9 miles easy @ 8:34 min/mi, HR monitor went into meltdown mode!

One into the rain and wind again and bumped into some club mates and joined them. Enjoyable run even though the legs felt flat again. The watch was showing the HR climbing up to 197 bpm even at a jog, needs new batteries a bit like myself at this stage.

Big week ahead, looking forward to the strength session after the weekends easy miles, if only to blow off some frustration. Seeing the activity feed of people doing Bohermeen on Sunday had me jealous again, even more so seeing the first raft of race cancellations coming through today. It could be a messy couple of months for racing and putting the hard training to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

I'll read the above in a minute, but a quick scan has me intrigued that you ran on Friday 6th, Friday 7th and Monday 8th of March.

Please don't edit.

sideswipe wrote: »
    Friday 6th March: 6 miles easy @ 8:25 min/mi, HR 144 bpm.

Easy miles again. Ran with a buddy and tried to work through best options for a goal race. Changing the plan and doing the last 16 mile LR this weekend was one option but I felt it would push me over the edge which I am close to at the moment in terms of fatigue and minor niggles. Decided I'd take a peak at the PopUpRaces spring marathon course over the weekend as a possible replacement for Manchester. The funny thing is Manchester hasn't been cancelled yet. I've been following things closely and the UK seem to be taking a very British, stiff upper lip, we shall not be moved approach to cancelling events which is admirable in a way. But then you look at what has gone down in Italy and you wonder how much longer that approach is feasible?

Friday 7th March: 8 miles easy @ 8:26 min/mi, HR 149 bpm

This was supposed to be one of two 10 milers. Just felt flat, weary and unmotivated. Called it a day at 8 miles.

Sunday 8th March: 12 miles easy @ 7:31 min/mi, HR 142 bpm[/B]

Got up in two minds weather to go out and get the final 16 mile LR done in order to do the Balbriggan Marathon a week earlier than the scheduled race date. The truth was physically and mentally I wasn't up for it. I just felt I needed some clarity on what I was going to do. Went for a Sunday spin with the family under the guise of a trip to the national stud in Kildare (my daughter is horse mad) the fact that the route of the PopUpRaces Spring Marathon passes the stud was secondary! Long story short I drove the route and it's shocking. Not just the fact that it's all long drags and hills but the surface of the road, part of which is through a bog and the tarmac looks like there was a recent earthquake with subsidence and the pot holes were atrocious. Not great but perhaps beggars can't be choosers and it may have to do. But drove away after a walk around the National Stud without the clarity I'd been hoping for.
    Wind, rain and hailstones when I got home had me getting changed and heading for the treadmill to grid out a boring 12 mile run.

Monday 8th March: 9 miles easy @ 8:34 min/mi, HR monitor went into meltdown mode!

One into the rain and wind again and bumped into some club mates and joined them. Enjoyable run even though the legs felt flat again. The watch was showing the HR climbing up to 197 bpm even at a jog, needs new batteries a bit like myself at this stage.

Big week ahead, looking forward to the strength session after the weekends easy miles, if only to blow off some frustration. Seeing the activity feed of people doing Bohermeen on Sunday had me jealous again, even more so seeing the first raft of race cancellations coming through today. It could be a messy couple of months for racing and putting the hard training to work.

I'd be seriously wondering if it's worth doing that, man. Me, I think I'd knock it on the head but to each his own. It's going to be hard/frustrating training for (non) events.........

Itziger wrote: »
    I'll read the above in a minute, but a quick scan has me intrigued that you ran on Friday 6th, Friday 7th and Monday 8th of March.

Please don't edit.
    Itziger wrote: »
    I'd be seriously wondering if it's worth doing that, man. Me, I think I'd knock it on the head but to each his own. It's going to be hard/frustrating training for (non) events.........

I told you the days were blurring together:pac:

On the plus side at least somebody is paying attention!

I know what you mean about doing the alternative race, very much in two minds.

I suppose whats happening is a reminder that this running lark is only a hobby. Stressing over training and racing seems more futile by the day

• Advertisement

I told you the days were blurring together:pac:

On the plus side at least somebody is paying attention!

I know what you mean about doing the alternative race, very much in two minds.

I suppose whats happening is a reminder that this running lark is only a hobby. Stressing over training and racing seems more futile by the day

M8, I have a Half in 10 days time!!!!!!

Where do we go from here.........

So, strange week obviously. Running is less important in one way but as Jurgen Klopp would say- it’s the most important of the unimportant things. I had Balbriggan marathon, ORS Spring marathon and Limerick lined up as back up races, they were all cancelled before Manchester bit the dust last night. So the question of what to do next comes into sharper focus. I had the choice of taking a few days off and making a call but have decided to finish out the training block. So close to the end now it seems to make sense if only for a frame of reference for the autumn. Having the structure of the training cycle might also help in such uncertain times. Plenty of time to decide what comes after that.

Tuesday 10th March, strength session 3 x 2 miles @ 6:35 min/mi avg

Was looking forward to doing a bit of a session. Into a headwind so was working hard but overly so.

Wednesday 11th March, 5 miles recovery @ 8:35 min/mi, HR 146 bpm.

Easy while the club were training for what turned out to be the last training session for a while. Haven’t done a club session all year or raced because I’ve been diligently following the plan, all seems futile now.

Thursday 12th March, 7 miles easy, HRM haywire again.

Got the news of the partial lockdown early in the day and like everyone else was focused on the news. Didn’t need to rush out for toilet paper as we had been slowly by a little extra of everything since mid Feb, have read too may dystopian novels to have sat on my hands. Horrible run in horrible weather instead of the scheduled 10 mile tempo.

Friday 13th March, 10 mile tempo @ 6:49 min/mi, HR 170bpm.

Went out at lunch with a strange but not surprising feeling of 'why bother' with a tough session on tired legs, couldn’t answer. Stunning day, t-shirt weather, worked up a proper sweat for the first time even though it was still windy enough. Just did the miles and felt good for having done them. 13 miles total. Spent the evening catching up on food and drink I’d been denying myself. Sore liver this morning!

Where do we go from here.........

So, strange week obviously. Running is less important in one way but as Jurgen Klopp would say- it’s the most important of the unimportant things. I had Balbriggan marathon, ORS Spring marathon and Limerick lined up as back up races, they were all cancelled before Manchester bit the dust last night. So the question of what to do next comes into sharper focus. I had the choice of taking a few days off and making a call but have decided to finish out the training block. So close to the end now it seems to make sense if only for a frame of reference for the autumn. Having the structure of the training cycle might also help in such uncertain times. Plenty of time to decide what comes after that.

Tuesday 10th March, strength session 3 x 2 miles @ 6:35 min/mi avg

Was looking forward to doing a bit of a session. Into a headwind so was working hard but overly so.

Wednesday 11th March, 5 miles recovery @ 8:35 min/mi, HR 146 bpm.

Easy while the club were training for what turned out to be the last training session for a while. Haven’t done a club session all year or raced because I’ve been diligently following the plan, all seems futile now.

Thursday 12th March, 7 miles easy, HRM haywire again.

Got the news of the partial lockdown early in the day and like everyone else was focused on the news. Didn’t need to rush out for toilet paper as we had been slowly by a little extra of everything since mid Feb, have read too may dystopian novels to have sat on my hands. Horrible run in horrible weather instead of the scheduled 10 mile tempo.

Friday 13th March, 10 mile tempo @ 6:49 min/mi, HR 170bpm.

Went out at lunch with a strange but not surprising feeling of why was I bothering with a tough session on tired legs, couldn’t answer. Stunning day, t-shirt weather, worked up a proper sweat for the first time even though it was still windy enough. Just did the miles and felt good for having done them. 13 miles total. Spent the evening catching up on food and drink I’d been denying myself. Sore liver this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Devo for you. Have you thought about a solo 26.2 miles?

Singer wrote: »
    Devo for you. Have you thought about a solo 26.2 miles?

I have, I think mentally it’s something I could do, will have to make a call soon though as I’ve spent all weekend doing all the wrong things with diet, I’m like a 30 something year old women from a rom com movie after a breakup, eating my own weight in chocolate, ice cream and wine!!!

• Advertisement

**swots away cobwebs**

Well that escalated slowly. It seems like covid-19 has been coming down the tracks for weeks and yet here we are in a world that seems to have changed immeasurably with no real end in sight. I haven't been inclined to log my runs, partly because life has got massively busier as I'm now a part time teacher and partly because of demotivation.

I haven't felt demotivated to run though. In fact it has been a lifesaver to be able to get out and get headspace. Doing sessions has been a bit of a battle without a race as an endgame but I've stuck to the plan and have always felt better for doing the sessions than I did before.

SOS sessions since the last 10 mile tempo on the 13th of March have been:

15th March- 16 miles LR @ 7:20 min/mi, HR 155bpm.

17th March- 4 x 1.5 miles @ 6:35 min/mi avg, HR 165-173 bpm.

19th March- 10 mile Tempo @ 6:49 min/mi, HR 168bpm.

Started doing 7 min/miles as the body wasn't feeling it, picked up the pace towards the end doing the last mile at 6:20 min/mi so it was more of a progression run.

All other runs per the plan at easy pace. Took one of the prescribed rest days as full rest for only the second time during the entire plan. Legs felt pretty tired after doing the above 4 runs every second day. Only a 6 x 1 mile and a 10 mile tempo to go before the sessions are finished.

Never could of imagined when I started this plan how things would pan out, can't quite but into words how I feel about the whole experience. These are truly days that will live long in our collective memories. Marathon training plans are pretty unimportant on the scale of things at the moment. There will come a day again when the more trivial, frivolous things in life like running an arbitrary distance in an arbitrary time will again have the capacity to be prioritised. In the mean time I've learned a lot by my 'all in' approach to this. Not least because I've really let those little things slide over the last couple of weeks, I haven't been diligent about diet, hydration, recovery etc. I'm more likely to do a session and not bother with the protein drink because it slipped my mind to get one. I haven't been inclined to do any S&C work or use the compression boots or take epsom salt baths. I've given up looking for that 'X percent' of untapped potential I was so sure I'd left behind on previous training blocks because it doesn't matter anymore. But that doesn't mean it was wasted, in a funny way dropping all that stuff has taught me how important it is. My legs have been aching and I've been feeling a level of running related fatigue that I'd avoided since the plan commenced.

Whenever life does start to get back to normal again. Whenever we do gather in groups with numbers attached to our shirts and the smell of deep heat in the air along with a sense of nervous anticipation at the challenge of running 26.2 miles as fast as we can. I know I'll be wiser for this training block and more appreciative because of the world we live in today.

Stay safe people.

The hay is in the barn............... hope its not all mouldy by the time I get to race again! Who knows how long that will be 3, 6, 12 months? Strange times.

I debated and battled with myself over weather I should finish out the plan. A smarter runner or at least a less OCD one would have just pulled the plug, took a step back and made a maintenance plan that they could build off when things settle down. Only 3 sessions left was too tempting for me not to finish off. I will run easy for a week now and see how it feels to run on rest legs after finishing the block out.....that will be a weird experience as I feel I haven't run in a well rested, recovered state since before Christmas. The only small regret I have is not racing at all, I don't have anything to show for all the efforts but hopefully I can tick over and be in good shape for autumn if things are back to normal, if they aren't I guess racing will be pretty far down on the list of importance.

Last two SOS sessions:

Tues 24th March- 6 x 1 mile off 400's (6:36 avg) HR 168 bpm avg. 10 miles Total

Splits:
    1. 6:37 HR 163bpm
    2. 6:35 HR 168bpm
    3. 6:37 HR 164bpm
    4. 6:37 HR 168bpm
    5. 6:37 HR 166bpm
    6. 6:34 HR 168bpm

Managed to keep these consistent even though the even reps were into a stiff headwind so was working harder on them. Felt a bit like an out of body experience as I really was not feeling the love but just selected the stored session on my watch and got into it. I just switched off and the body was on auto pilot. The fitness gained over the last few months took over and I felt like I didn't have to work too hard. The strength sessions have probably been the ones I've found easiest compared to the speed and tempo runs.

Wednesday 25th March- 4 mile recovery @ 9:04 min/mi HR 138 bpm

More for the head than the body. Slow miles on eerily quiet roads.

Thursday 26th March- 10 mile Tempo @ 6:48 min/mi HR 168 bpm. Total 13 miles w/wu & wd.

Glorious sunshine as I drove to my usual spot. Have done sessions on this stretch of road in all weathers over the last few months. As usual it was deserted bar a few cyclists, ideal social distancing spot. Stepped out of the car and as usual there was a stiff enough breeze which I knew would be in my face for the second half. One mile warm up and took off as I was racing daylight. Tailwind and sunshine made the effort feel low for the first few miles. Had to stop for a toilet break which stopped my rhythm a bit before getting to the turning point and doubling back on myself into the wind. Effort level started to creep as i was also running up a 1.5 mile drag. Made a quick stop to fetch a planted drink and battled on into what felt like an increasing wind. Found this run tough although was happy with the HR in retrospect. Tried to relax for the last couple of miles and appreciate all the hard miles over the last few months. As KSU said in another thread the process is 99%. I've enjoyed the challenge of the Hanson Plan. I feel I have to give it another go in the future as I'm not going to get a chance to road test it this time.

I'm debating doing a half marathon distance time trail after the 10 day taper period to see how the legs feel as reference for the next time, will make a call on that in a few days. Besides that I need to figure out how best to maintain and where to go from here, any suggestions welcome!

So what was supposed to be the day of flying out for the sub 3 attempt has arrived. It's mad to think how much things can change in such a short space of time. I've run as per the plan to see how the legs feel with a 10 day taper. Result- I've been really lethargic and leggy all week but then again I always do on race week. Bad diet, too much alcohol and not doing all the little things like stretching and recovering are probably also a factor.

Friday 27th March, 6 miles easy @ 8:27 min/mi. HR 146 bpm.

Legs tired after the tempo, was nearly not going to bother but glad I did as the 2k restrictions came into effect afterwards. Little did I know starting the plan that running outside of a 2k radius of my house would be restricted during the taper! Mental stuff.

Saturday 28th, 8 miles easy @ 7:29 min/mi. HR 140 bpm (Treadmill).

Pretty severe hangover from too much red wine. Just stuck on sky sports and watched a reeling in the years style football show. Time passed by nicely and sweated out some poison........ ready for more. I'm not usually a big drinker and can take it or leave it usually, less so at the moment so feel I need to watch that one for a few reasons, but not least because I'd like to consolidate this years training and bring it forward even if there are no races, I think I need the focus.

Sunday 29th, 8 miles easy @ 7:27 min/mi HR 138 bpm (Treadmill).

2 days in a row had me covid compliant but feeling a little bored. Hung over again, probably 15 years since I've drank 3 nights in a row:o

Monday 30th, 6 miles easy @ 8:35 min/mi HR 145 bpm.

First outside run of lockdown. Ran off the beaten track as much as possible. Body tired from months of training and a couple of weeks of self abuse.

Tuesday 31st March, 5 miles easy @ 8:18 min/mi, HR 143 bpm.

Exploring roads I've never ran on locally. Interesting to explore a bit but no chance of a nice new route as the road I took was over a mountain, well large hill and included a horse trail right of way which was muddy and hard to run on.

Wednesday 1st April. Rest day.

I did run a mile and a half with my daughter as I'm trying to continue her daily mile from school and maybe even get here up to 5k running over the lock down.

Thursday 2nd April, 6 miles easy @ 8:14 min/mi HR 147 bpm.

Another previously unrun road realising there are often good reasons why some roads are not used for running much. Really sharp down hill with uneven surface isn't exactly pleasant but it was quite and only passed two other people. Legs still not feeling like they have a spring in them after running easy for a a few days for the first time since December.

The plan is to get this week over with and run easy next week to recover from a hard block before planning whats next. Will probably build on some speed sessions for 5 & 10Ks so I can do some time trials to keep an eye on fitness. I think the priority is watching all the other stuff like diet and alcohol consumption and get back to doing some S&C.

Hope everyone is managing ok through these strange times. It's great to have running as a distraction and release at the moment, I definitely won't be taking it for granted.

Fresh start time.

Yesterday marked the official end of the cycle for Manchester, have to say there felt like some liberation in the race date passing. Went out on Saturday with the intention of doing a half at race pace but packet it after 10k as the motivation just wasn't there. The only thing finishing the plan did was give me some focus. it was hard to do sessions but I always felt better for having done them and I was a more positive influence around the house as a result.

It's not been an easy few weeks for anybody, running eating and drinking have been crutches for me- going forward I hope to continue to run easy and ease off on the other two while perhaps add some other positive stuff back in. I was as sick as a dog yesterday after the guts of 3 bottles of red wine on Saturday evening! Wasn't going to bother running at all but headed out into the wind and rain yesterday evening and enjoyed the empty roads. I was listening the Stephen Scullions podcast and hearing him talk about mourning the loss of his Olympic target and apologising for it knowing there are far more serious issues at play in the world right now struck a chord, I've been mopping around feeling hard done by or something stupid like that. Today is a new day, a new week and I'm determined to get back on a even keel. I'd better as I stepped on the scales this morning and was up to 81.5kgs up about 3 kgs in the last month which is shocking and embarrassing, the rot stops here!!

I hope to keep the log up as it has been helpful and I hope I can push on to go all in again after feeling like I've been all out for the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

3 bottles of red wine...i'd need my stomach pumped:eek: but then i am a lightweight;)

Well done on finishing out a great training block! Enjoyed reading your journey:)

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

the last month which is shocking and embarrassing, the rot stops here!!

I hope to keep the log up as it has been helpful and I hope I can push on to go all in again after feeling like I've been all out for the last few weeks.

Definitely keep the log going. I always find nothing keeps you more honest than random strangers on the internet :P

As has been the general theme of things around here the last while. Experiment and have fun challenge yourself to do new things you might find a complete new perspective by the time "normality" kicks back in

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I agree, enjoy following the log and glad you are going to keep going. 3 bottles of red :eek::eek: I'd barely make 3 glasses, another lightweight (although I'm also 81.5kg :cool:)

I did say the guts of 3 bottles, on reflection the only bits I didn’t consume were the cork and the glass bit so the use of the term ‘guts of’ wasn’t really accurate!!
    Not the kind of PB I was hoping for this week:)

Right time to start getting the head back in the right place.......

The last 2 months have obviously been strange, much busier than normal as home schooling has been thrown into the mix........will never complain about teachers again. I work from home all the time so nothing new there just earlier starts and no time for lunch time runs with the kids needs being priority.

Running wise I've tipped away at faster 5k stuff doing 50 miles a week average. Did three time trials and 19:18 was the best I could manage so started a 5k training plan to improve the speed (or find some rather) and was half way through when I made the call to go down a different path altogether- I was listening to Stephen Scullions podcast and he was talking about getting into some coaching so I reached out to him. I'm going to work with him for a few months to try and make some improvement and stay motivated until racing comes back when hopefully I'll be in good shape to launch into a solid block and reignite the sub 3 dreams.

I have let all the extra things I was doing like S&C and paying attention to diet, hydration, recovery and sleep slide so I'm hoping to improve those things over the next while. When Manchester was cancelled I was 77kgs, last week I was 82kgs so the covid belly has to go!

Early days with the coaching but have some sessions for the first week and did the first one last night which was enjoyable.

3x400s with 75 secs rec- 3 mins easy- 6x1km at 10k effort off 75 secs rec

Ran this with a club mate which made it easier but overall it was a controlled effort. Going to be doing some plyometrics and activation stuff which will be new to me so will be interested to see how that goes.

Hope to keep the log going as I really enjoyed it for the last build up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Sounds like you are all set and motivated, nice one!

Goal event? TTs, benchmarks along the way?

• Advertisement

Sounds like you are all set and motivated, nice one!

Goal event? TTs, benchmarks along the way?

The goal event is hard given where we’re at, I got all hopeful and booked Charleville only to see talk of that not going ahead now. Definitely TT’s at 10k and half’s - if I could get down to 1:25 for a half I’d be delighted and probably then set Up nicely for an improved stab at a sub 3 next year, even if that has to be a TT as well.

Sorry to see you picked up an injury, hope it clears up for you.

Wednesday 10/6- 7 miles recovery @ 8:43 min/mi HR 150bpm

Took this very easy. Legs were pretty heavy from the day before and a 40 minutes S&C earlier in the day.

Thursday 11/6- 60 mins w/ middle 20 ‘solid’

Second run through from Coach. Misunderstood the meaning of solid and ran this a little too hot. Middle 20 mins worked out as just under 3 miles @ 6:45 min/mi pace, HR 172 avg. Weather was brutal with wind and rain making run a bit harder than intended. No harm done as it gives us some numbers to work off going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Wednesday 10/6- 7 miles recovery @ 8:43 min/mi HR 150bpm

Took this very easy. Legs were pretty heavy from the day before and a 40 minutes S&C earlier in the day.

Thursday 11/6- 60 mins w/ middle 20 ‘solid’

Second run through from Coach. Misunderstood the meaning of solid and ran this a little too hot. Middle 20 mins worked out as just under 3 miles @ 6:45 min/mi pace, HR 172 avg. Weather was brutal with wind and rain making run a bit harder than intended. No harm done as it gives us some numbers to work off going forward.

Watching with interest

Best of luck

TbL

Cheers chief, delighted to see you back and enjoying running again! Only copped your log was active again recently which was a most welcome surprise!

First full running week done with somebody else picking the sessions. It's been a nice change but I feel I've overcooked 2 out of 3 sessions as I knew I'd be reporting back and there was an element of trying to knock them out of the park. Need to be smarter with that. Couple of S&C sessions back in there which is good too. Will also be starting into some drills and ploys this week which will be interesting.

Friday 12/6- 4 miles recovery @ 8:40 min/mi + 40 mins S&C

Legs heavy and one of those runs when a rest day may have added more to the overall week than the run.

Saturday 13/6- 8 miles w/5 x 3 mins steady hills (85% effort)

Early start........Warm, humid and hungover. This was a hard run and the uphills were harder than the should have been and the HR was above 85% effort range. A car forcing me to step off the road into nettles had me in a bad mood starting which didn't help the HR, legs stung to bits.
    Got through it and on reflection it wasn't a bad run as the legs were not too beaten up from speed but aerobically it was a decent work out.

Sunday 14/6 14 miles steady @ 7:39 min/mi 159bpm avg

Had been out for a walk in the mountains with the family in the morning so didn't get out till after lunch. Thought the legs would be sluggish after the walk and Saturdays session but I felt good on this and eased into a steady pace while keeping the HR in a nice manageable spot. Really enjoyed it.

One thing I did notice yesterday is people are mentally scarred from Covid-19 and have lost the plot.....
    On yesterdays run I approached a couple out for a stroll when the lady saw me and stepped across to block the path and usher me onto the road like a county council worker directing traffic. Have spent the last 3 months being mindful of giving people space and choosing routes away from busy areas, this women was so afraid I'd pass herself and her husband and give them Covid-19 that she thought it would be better if I played chicken with an articulated truck on a narrow road. Couldn't even be too mad at her as she looked genuinely terrified. T'is gonna take a lot of healing for people to get back to normal.

Week 2 training for god knows what!

Monday 15/6- 5 miles recovery @ 8:40 min/mi 148bpm + running drills and box jumps

Legs not too bad after 2 hard enough runs at the weekend. Got home after the 5 miler and tried out some of the drills and box jumps I'd been sent. I've never done anything like them before. Was going through my routine in the back garden when I spot the missus and daughter breaking their ****e laughing at me through the kitchen window. I thought I looked like a Kenyan, they thought I looked like a drunk uncle at a wedding. Legs felt good afterwards. Sat in the hot-tub and rolled out the quads and calves.

Tuesday 16/6- warm up, drills and strides- 2x400- 4 mins easy- 4x1mile- cool down. 8 miles total

Did this with a mate, was like a Spanish afternoon with waves of warm air rising off the road, sweating before the warm up. Had it all set up on the garmin and just got into it. The 4 x 1mile were supposed to be at 10-12k race pace that I'd be capable of now so I went with sub 40 pace but I don't think if there was a race in those conditions I'd have managed that. Good session though and feel the fitness building a little. Garmin gave a new LT at 6:50 pace and 177 bpm HR which is getting back to were it was during Manchester training.
    Just doing a couple of days of drills and I really feel the need to do introduce some yoga or something as my flexibility is shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Week 2 training for god knows what!

Monday 15/6- 5 miles recovery @ 8:40 min/mi 148bpm + running drills and box jumps

Legs not too bad after 2 hard enough runs at the weekend. Got home after the 5 miler and tried out some of the drills and box jumps I'd been sent. I've never done anything like them before. Was going through my routine in the back garden when I spot the missus and daughter breaking their ****e laughing at me through the kitchen window. I thought I looked like a Kenyan, they thought I looked like a drunk uncle at a wedding. Legs felt good afterwards. Sat in the hot-tub and rolled out the quads and calves.

Tuesday 16/6- warm up, drills and strides- 2x400- 4 mins easy- 4x1mile- cool down. 8 miles total

Did this with a mate, was like a Spanish afternoon with waves of warm air rising off the road, sweating before the warm up. Had it all set up on the garmin and just got into it. The 4 x 1mile were supposed to be at 10-12k race pace that I'd be capable of now so I went with sub 40 pace but I don't think if there was a race in those conditions I'd have managed that. Good session though and feel the fitness building a little. Garmin gave a new LT at 6:50 pace and 177 bpm HR which is getting back to were it was during Manchester training.
    Just doing a couple of days of drills and I really feel the need to do introduce some yoga or something as my flexibility is shocking.

Be careful with box jumps, they can be tough and you can pick up niggles easily enough. Make sure your form is spot on doing them.

You’ve a hot tub, posh bastid :)

TbL

Be careful with box jumps, they can be tough and you can pick up niggles easily enough. Make sure your form is spot on doing them.

You’ve a hot tub, posh bastid :)

TbL

Yeah doing stuff that I've never done before without proper instruction is risky. There are 35 m uphill single leg bounds on the menu later:eek: that should look pretty, glad they cleared out the A&E's for me.

'Having a hot tub is a basic human right'
    -Celtic Tiger 2006

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭blackbox

One thing I did notice yesterday is people are mentally scarred from Covid-19 and have lost the plot.....
    On yesterdays run I approached a couple out for a stroll when the lady saw me and stepped across to block the path and usher me onto the road like a county council worker directing traffic. Have spent the last 3 months being mindful of giving people space and choosing routes away from busy areas, this women was so afraid I'd pass herself and her husband and give them Covid-19 that she thought it would be better if I played chicken with an articulated truck on a narrow road. Couldn't even be too mad at her as she looked genuinely terrified. T'is gonna take a lot of healing for people to get back to normal.

It was perfectly reasonable for her to expect you to keep at least the mandatory 2 metres from her.

• Advertisement

blackbox wrote: »
    It was perfectly reasonable for her to expect you to keep at least the mandatory 2 metres from her.

I'm a middle aged man with aspirations of running moderately fast, people should not only get out of my way, they should tip their hats as i pass:p

The old runner v pedestrian has been done to death at this stage. Of course people running should be mindful of others especially older people but if keeping 2 meters away puts you under the wheels of a truck I think it's fair to say breaking social distancing guidelines in preferable, I mean it's all about keeping people alive right!

I have no problem stopping on a run to let traffic pass so I can use the road and give people space, I've doing that for months now.

Anyway my commentary was more about how scared people are (more particularly this older lady) and how long it will take to get over that mentally.

Advertisement