Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retrofit costs

Options
  • 21-11-2019 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

Just saw this, and I know that this was done in Scotland, if not the whole UK in the late 80's, early 90's:-

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2019/1121/1094264-varadkar-epp-meeting/

Council houses were all Re-Wired, Insulated, fitted with double Glazing, and finally fitted with Central Heating.

So Leo's statement that no government could afford it is kina a pile of Horse-Manure!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

what did we have against insulation in Ireland? did we not understand the concept or something? houses are bloody freezing unless they are retrofitted or extremely modern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

I was speaking to a cousin of mine in Scotland who has PV panels on his roof who said that they generate £1,500 per year based on the excess energy that flows into the grid.

And the price per KW was fixed for (I think 10) years.

No reason we can't have something similar here.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Just saw this, and I know that this was done in Scotland, if not the whole UK in the late 80's, early 90's:-

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2019/1121/1094264-varadkar-epp-meeting/

Council houses were all Re-Wired, Insulated, fitted with double Glazing, and finally fitted with Central Heating.

So Leo's statement that no government could afford it is kina a pile of Horse-Manure!!!
    Early 90s is nearly 30 years ago and houses cost under 80K. I don't think he's shying way from it, but we will have to pay for this ourselves, with helpful grants/loans.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

what did we have against insulation in Ireland? did we not understand the concept or something? houses are bloody freezing unless they are retrofitted or extremely modern.
    Most people spent their home lives in one room and put on more clothes! Nowadays people want an Irish summer at home, complete with shorts and flip flops!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

The figure quoted would be €50,000 per home - sounds overkill.

Ireland pressently has access to almost 0% interest money, so it would be very easy to afford way more than €50 billion - we can easily afford both this and government becoming the primary housing developer on the island (mix of for profit and social, fully self financing through sales), putting out multiple tens of thousands of units, since the private sector refuses to.

They could start this tomorrow, if they liked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I was speaking to a cousin of mine in Scotland who has PV panels on his roof who said that they generate £1,500 per year based on the excess energy that flows into the grid.

And the price per KW was fixed for (I think 10) years.

No reason we can't have something similar here.

AFAIK ESB did have a scheme but closed it to new entrants it the moment it looked like taking off

The government does have a new scheme which it's going to introduce next year or so. the EU have forced them basically under Article 21 of EU Directive 2018/2001

Advertisement