Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dominant eye not on my dominant side

• 21-11-2019 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

My vision is far better with my left eye but I am right handed.. I've always used my right eye shooting whether military or Target so it feels alien using my left (even though sight picture is far better).

Does anybody else have this problem? What do you do?
    Train to use your dominant eye or just continue on?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Wadi14

What kind of shooting do you do?
    Im right handed left eye dominant, I shoot every thing using my dominant eye rifles left handed pistols right handed.
    I learned to shoot rifles and shotguns from the very start using my left side, would never think of putting a rifle to my right shoulder.

Only if your eye sight in you right eye deteriorated to the point that you cant see your target should you worry about having to change to the left side. Would I be right in thinking your closing your left eye when shooting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CorkCBR6

Wadi14 wrote: »
    What kind of shooting do you do?
    Im right handed left eye dominant, I shoot every thing using my dominant eye rifles left handed pistols right handed.
    I learned to shoot rifles and shotguns from the very start using my left side, would never think of putting a rifle to my right shoulder.

Only if your eye sight in you right eye deteriorated to the point that you cant see your target should you worry about having to change to the left side. Would I be right in thinking your closing your left eye when shooting ?

Hi Wadi,

Mostly Target shooting now, bit of vermin control every few weeks.

I usually keep both eyes open as that was the way I was taught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

As Wadi says, if it ain't broke don't fix it; but for the sake of completeness, the general guidance in my experience in this regard, is to use your dominant eye side.

Means an adjustment period in the initial, but removes the limitations that using your weaker eye presents.
    Again, given you already know how to shoot to the other side, I'd only make the change if you're having issues with your weaker eye.

WRT open/closing of the other eye, in competitive target shooting it's more common to leave the eye open and use a blind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭slipperyox

I have this too. Dominant left and right handed.
    Only an issue for shotgun.

For scoped rifle and handgun it makes no difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭J.R.

It it becomes a big problem then for shotguns CROSSOVER STOCKS are available....or as they were called years ago..."Cripple Stocks"

395819170.jpg

391969806.jpg

395584900.jpg

s_2007_0115julie0004.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭ace86

slipperyox wrote: »
    I have this too. Dominant left and right handed.
    Only an issue for shotgun.

For scoped rifle and handgun it makes no difference.

Only issue is shotgun I’m right handed myself left eye dominant you’d probably need a shotgun with a left hand cast and adjustable comb to make it suite or else get a custom made stock for yourself.i just got one made myself by pat Sludds recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭slipperyox

I'd say they make for interesting recoil

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭macatac

CorkCBR6 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

My vision is far better with my left eye but I am right handed.. I've always used my right eye shooting whether military or Target so it feels alien using my left (even though sight picture is far better).

Thanks

Same with me bro..right handed left eye dominant...started shooting left handed about 18 years ago...didn't find the adjustment that bad really..plenty of practice on Clay's though

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dkilbean

CorkCBR6 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Thanks

I also have the same dilemma but find that keeping both eyes open is far more beneficial than closing/patching my left eye

Advertisement