Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hospitals in Galway

Options
  • 21-11-2019 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Some shocking facts in todays online article in City Tribune

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/logic-behind-longterm-plans-for-galway-public-hospitals-questioned/

-It will be a minimum of 6 years before the new emergency department is opened in GUH

-HSE releases a report that recommends a new elective hospital to be operational in 11 years time i.e. 2030 (the report is only recommending, not stating it will happen)

-At Merlin Park Hospital 95 per cent of infrastructure has been classed as ‘not satisfactory or unacceptable’ for current use.

-At University Hospital Galway, 64 per cent of the infrastructure has been found to be problematic or in need of total replacement.

Wasnt there a roof leak in the theatres in Merlin Park forcing them to be closed for over 2 years....

Its appalling how bad the hospital infrastructure is in Galway.... its depressing :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Should just buy the Clinic and / or Bon Secours.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

flazio wrote: »
    Should just buy the Clinic and / or Bon Secours.

Neither for sale AFAIK, and both already busy with patients using their insurance to take the strain off the public system.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Are they not building a completely new hospital at Merlin?
    I thought that was the medium term plan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Storm 10

New A & E going to tender in January and new Maternity to be built at UHG long overdue and as stated will Merlin ever be built

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

zell12 wrote: »
    Are they not building a completely new hospital at Merlin?
    I thought that was the medium term plan

Yes. Per the original post,
    a new elective hospital to be operational in 11 years time i.e. 2030 (the report is only recommending, not stating it will happen)

It's a bit of a stretch to call it a new hospital: it's new building and and (perhaps) extensions of the existing one buildings at the existing hospital.

Lots of Ireland was more or less a 3rd world country until it joined the EU. It shows in the hospital system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Meanwhile the University has been in a constant build cycle for close to 20 years.

Advertisement