Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Trees

Options
  • 21-11-2019 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of planting an apple tree.

Cox's Orange Pippin is a serious option.

Can you plant them in any location?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭macraignil

tv3tg4 wrote: »

Some of mine are a bit exposed to let them crop well. They benefit from some amount of shelter from strong winds and like good light and relatively deep soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Remember "the birds and the bees" or no apples! You will need other suitable pollinator apple tree(s) nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

They are prone to apple scab.I cut one down last year after 5 years as every apple it produced was destroyed by scab.
    I have a tree right beside with loads of apples every year,it also gets some scab but the scab only affects the skin an the apples are edible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭Thud

upupup wrote: »
    They are prone to apple scab.I cut one down last year after 5 years as every apple it produced was destroyed by scab.
    I have a tree right beside with loads of apples every year,it also gets some scab but the scab only affects the skin an the apples are edible

did you try grafting onto the orange pippin from the other tree?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Czhornet

Have a look at 'Katy'

good cropper and can tolerate most areas and soils

• Advertisement

Thud wrote: »
    did you try grafting onto the orange pippin from the other tree?

I tried a lot but i didn't try that.The most satisfaction i got from the orange pippin was chopping it down with an axe and burning it:D

I tried a lot but i didn't try that.The most satisfaction i got from the orange pippin was chopping it down with an axe and burning it:D

is the stump still alive? a few grafts fed by a mature root system would grow quickly enough.

Thud wrote: »
    is the stump still alive? a few grafts fed by a mature root system would grow quickly enough.

That's a good idea..the stump is still there but i don't know if its alive.I'll have a go at grafting in the spring

That's a good idea..the stump is still there but i don't know if its alive.I'll have a go at grafting in the spring

if it sends sucker/water shoots you are good to go

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Flipperdipper

Contact Irish Seed Savers, www.irishseedsavers.ie They'll give you good advice on variety's to grow depending on where you are in the country. They also sell apple trees and have an open day with apple tasting every year. There are some great Irish apples out there, far better than the waxy chemical crap that's stocked in the supermarkets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Souness

I have a James Grieve and Discovery, planted about 6 years ago. Both were recommended for soil type, quite limey where I am. Had originally wanted to plant coxes but was told that outside if sunny south east these do not fare well in Ireland. Discovery is a beautiful apple, only downside is it does not keep very long, but then again they don’t be sitting long in the fruit bowl either.First year JG gave an abundance of apples, nearly broke the tree. In hindsight should have thinned out the crop because it set back the tree with very little fruit the following years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

should i be putting compost around my apple trees to protect from frost?

fryup wrote: »
    should i be putting compost around my apple trees to protect from frost?

you can put mulch around the base of trees to stop competing weeds and grass growing and give the trees a head start.
    Apple trees are hardy so frost won't affect them.

Advertisement