Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog Ramp

• 21-11-2019 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where i would get a ramp so that shih tzu can get up onto the sofa?
    Bought a new sofa and it's slightly higher than the old one and now she can't jump up :(
    I have steps at home but she never quite "got it" with using them :rolleyes:
    She's almost 11 so don't want her hurting herself....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭sdp

Hi op,
    I have the first steps that Aonb linked, bought a couple of years ago on Amazon. as he found it hard to jump up and down on bed.
    Toby has arthritis in his spine and knees. found it good for him.
    Forward two years he had a mini stroke, so I have built him a ramp.
    you are more then welcome to have the steps,the carpet has velcro strips,so you could change it for new.
    [IMG][/img]y4mdZ7Nm.jpg
    [IMG][/img]WzctGDJm.jpg
    and ramp that he's loving!
    [IMG][/img]tVYyG5Zm.jpg?3

send me a pm if you want it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

That ramp is class. Fair play to you.

My own lad has 3 legs gonna get him one of the step things on adverts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭sdp

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    That ramp is class. Fair play to you.

My own lad has 3 legs gonna get him one of the step things on adverts.

If op don't want them , let me know if you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

sdp wrote: »
    Hi op,
    I have the first steps that Aonb linked, bought a couple of years ago on Amazon. as he found it hard to jump up and down on bed.
    Toby has arthritis in his spine and knees. found it good for him.
    Forward two years he had a mini stroke, so I have built him a ramp.
    you are more then welcome to have the steps,the carpet has velcro strips,so you could change it for new.
    [IMG][/img]y4mdZ7Nm.jpg
    [IMG][/img]WzctGDJm.jpg
    and ramp that he's loving!
    [IMG][/img]tVYyG5Zm.jpg?3

send me a pm if you want it.

That's really kind of you (and sorry for the late reply!!)
    But she just doesn't "get" steps lol! I have steps and she tries to go from the side and then jump from the side of the bottom step!!

Looking to get more like a foam type thingy, just something to give a little extra height so she can still jump herself....i saw ones online but the reviews weren't great i.e. they are much smaller than they look but it's that kind of thing i'm looking for....

https://www.newchic.com/dogs-beds-and-mats-5589/p-1306094.html?gmcCountry=IE&currency=EUR&createTmp=1&ID=516219516238&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=pla-white-ssc-hg-ie&utm_content=muna2&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyMaOqaaF5gIVyLHtCh0leQCxEAQYAyABEgJ_G_D_BwE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

But she just doesn't "get" steps lol! I have steps and she tries to go from the side and then jump from the side of the bottom step!!

You may need to shape ie teach her how to use them? So eg you could try luring her up them with a treat or you maybe need to go back to basics and start from the beginning eg you put a treat on the step and if she takes it you praise her (if you have a clicker even better) and repeat repeat repeat then you wait and see what she does next - say she looks at the step.. treat and you build on this until she eventually puts a foot on them, goes up them etc etc.

Here's an example with a ramp - I don't have a verbal cue for the ramp/step - we have an all rounder 'ok' that the dogs just know to wait until I say ok - so Bailey doesn't trampoline up the step while I'm putting it in (our step slots into the tow bar) and break my hands! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Advertisement