Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Questions about Eir fibre to the cabinet with copper to the home and "up to 150MB"

• 21-11-2019 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I currently have Virgin 240MB but I'm moving to co Wexford where they are not available, I work from home and need the fastest broadband I can get.

The house we are moving to showed as having "up to 90" on Eir's broadband checker, but this was a few weeks ago when they only offered 2 packages, up to 100MB for fibre to the cabinet and copper to the home or 1Gb for fibre to the home. They have since added a "up to 150MB" package, and the speed test now says I can get "up to 100".

The cabinet is right across the road from the entrance to our estate, but despite being so close they have no plans to do fibre to the home for anyone there. Does anyone here have this new up to 150MB package ?, are they using VDSL 2 compared to regular VDSL to achieve this ?, shouldn't someone who could previously only get up to 90 before now be getting something like up to 130 or 140 ?. I'm asking because if I can get up to 100 (the guy across the street from us is getting close to 90) there is obviously no point in me going for the up to 150 package.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

150Mb/s is a FTTH speed tier. There is no such VDSL package as far as I'm aware. Enter your Eircode here and it should confirm what is available:

http://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

VDSL is the only option showing, up to 100MB

I don't know where the 150Mb/s is coming from. Sounds like it could be a mistake in whatever tool you were using to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

I don't know where the 150Mb/s is coming from. Sounds like it could be a mistake in whatever tool you were using to check.

Its offered on their website, I just assumed they were using VDSL 2 to achieve it seeing as they were only offering up to 100 or gigbit previously.

J0hnick wrote: »
    Its offered on their website, I just assumed they were using VDSL 2 to achieve it seeing as they were only offering up to 100 or gigbit previously.

They have been using VDSL2 with vectoring for several years to deliver up to 100Mb/s. I have not heard of any increases in that which is why I believe it is an error.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Supervectoring was abandoned by OE so Navi is correct, no copper 150Mb product.

Advertisement