Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Food Recommendation for Puppy

• 21-11-2019 5:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭

Hello. I have a 10 week old Golden Retriever puppy. The breeder fed him on ProPac Ultimate dry food but I'm struggling to find a stockist. After multiple calls to the stockists listed on the manufacturers website, most did not in fact stock it. I found one vet after a lot of searching.

I want to change to a dog food that's easier to source in mainstream shops or pet stored. I've heard Royal Canin wasn't great but I've no idea.

I would welcome recommendations for this breed.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,972 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I feed Barking Heads, if you want grainfree try Acana, both available from Zooplus. Breed doesnt really matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Acana protein is largely made up of Meal. That meal is largely going to be made up of waste materials including heads, hooves, bones, and other waste that you would NOT want your dog to eat.

Dogs are built like their ancestors and there is no reason they shouldn't eat like them.

In nature there are no food supplements, and dogs and wolves derive their nutritional needs by consuming whole prey animals.

Muscle meat provides protein; liver, kidney and tripe supply vitamins and minerals; bones and cartilage deliver calcium and phosphorus.

Feed raw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,972 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Acana is made up of whole prey, i dont see any reason why i wouldn't want my dogs to eat whole prey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Acana is made up of whole prey, i dont see any reason why i wouldn't want my dogs to eat whole prey.

It has a significant element of protein from meal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I fed Lucy a mix of raw and rocco junior from zooplus as she was eating us out of house and home when she was a pup getting over 1kg a day lol.. I'd maybe decide what suits you best - do you want to go to a physical shop or buy online, do you have space for raw, would you prefer kibble or wet food. I like https://www.rawvolution.ie for raw and Zooplus is great for everything else- they've loads of different options and delivery is usually within a week with DPD. A lot of people here use Rocco and recommend it.. but Rinti is the latest craze in his house atm lol :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Deeman83

check out:

www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk

Great website which would suprise you. Some of the higher quality dog foods work out cheaper per day as the dog needs less quantity.

You want high protein, fats and meat content.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Deeman83

I feed my whippet Eden working dog food.

Its similar to Acana, slightly higher meat content but its vat free and therefore cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Deeman83 wrote:
    I feed my whippet Eden working dog food.

Hey Deeman. I have a whippet and he'll eat anything but could you let me know what yours eats?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I've heard Royal Canin wasn't great but I've no idea.Thank you.

We feed our dogs Royal Canin and they get on great with it. Have tried a few other brands but they can sometimes cause quite runny stools. No issues at all with the Royal Canin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭SuziXX

We feed our girl royal canin too, it’s what she was eating before she came to us and the vet recommended it to us also. I’ve seen some comments on here about it not being a good food for them so I asked the pet shop owner and he said it was a great food and had only good things to say about it. What are people’s reasons for not liking it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

SuziXX wrote: »
    We feed our girl royal canin too, it’s what she was eating before she came to us and the vet recommended it to us also. I’ve seen some comments on here about it not being a good food for them so I asked the pet shop owner and he said it was a great food and had only good things to say about it. What are people’s reasons for not liking it?
    Premium priced medium quality food at best. You can do worse by why pay a hefty premium for it (and there's a healthy margin in it for sellers esp. if they can trick you to buy a "dog specific" version)?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Jack43

Gain Puppy & Sappling is reasonably priced and pups do well on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Lily's kitchen had my Frenchie on it since we got him, he is extremely healthy great coat etc.
    Not cheap but you get what you pay for.

Advertisement