Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Cybertruck

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

ELM327 wrote: »
    It's 3foot longer if you take t he 8ft bed (vs the ranger <6ft) and the crewcab which is much longer than the ranger.

A couple of inches taller and wider is more what I was saying. And the 150/1500 size pickups have gotten more and more bloated as the years go by. My last 1500 chevy was from 1998 and in all areas except bed length, the current ranger is bigger.

Must have been a tiny 1500.

My 1500 HD dwarfed the rangers back I 2003

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Must have been a tiny 1500.

My 1500 HD dwarfed the rangers back I 2003

The 1500 (it was a GMC sierra 1500 with 350ci vortec v8 and crew cab body with 6ft bed) was much bigger than the ranger then, I'm comparing that sierra to the ranger of today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

So is a Category C (Rigid Truck) licence required for the Cybertruck ? Thinking I probably should start getting the ball rolling on this.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

80sDiesel wrote: »
    So is a Category C (Rigid Truck) licence required for the Cybertruck ? Thinking I probably should start getting the ball rolling on this.

It depends on the weight of the towed trailer that Tesla gets type approval for.
    If you only have a category B licence at present then you might want to start thinking about making arrangements.
    If you have a category BE licence then you might be ok, depending on ole elon's testosterone levels on the day that he's filling out the forms..

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

If you don't intend to tow with it then a car with a max mass of 3,500kg is ok on a B licence. Does the cybertruck go over that?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

unkel wrote: »
    If you don't intend to tow with it then a car with a max mass of 3,500kg is ok on a B licence. Does the cybertruck go over that?

Yeah all goes on the weight of the vehicle, over 3.5t you need a c1 licence (and if your old enough you might already have one!), sister needed one to drive an ambulance.

The E bit of the licences are for towing, I think a BE licence allows up to 3.5 t but that is dependent on the plates on the vehicle towing (and whats plated on the trailer too) that's also gross weight (trailer and load)

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

Seems to be spec'd at 6500lbs max or 3000kg

That's the max total mass including payload, yeah? If so it's fine on your normal licence if you only tow a little trailer then :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

That's the max total mass including payload, yeah? If so it's fine on your normal licence if you only tow a little trailer then :p

If you're on a B-license, the small trailer (that you're allowed to tow) goes on top of the 3.5t GVW.

If youre' on a B/E-license, you're allowed to tow whatever the vehicle is plated for but to a max of 3.5t.

For a 2WD, the absolute max plated towing weight is the GVW of the towing car. For a 4WD the absolute max plated towing weight is 1.5x the GVW of the towing car .... to an absolute max of 3.5t of course.

It's only when the GVW of the towing car exceeds 3.5t, that you need a C1 license.

I hope that's clear enough. And yes .. I do have a B/E license since i was 19 years old and got that in a country, that actually requires you to properly study for it and pass the test on all aspects .. even back then, which is 24 years back. I also hold a C/E and A license.

Those rules are common for all EU, so also apply to current irish licenses.

/M

So what I was saying was right then? That if the total combined gross weight of the car + trailer is less than 3,500kg, you can drive on a B licence? As in say the cybertruck has a total gross weight of 3000kg and the small trailer has a total gross weight of 500kg? That's the way I've always understood it.

• Advertisement

So what I was saying was right then? That if the total combined gross weight of the car + trailer is less than 3,500kg, you can drive on a B licence? As in say the cybertruck has a total gross weight of 3000kg and the small trailer has a total gross weight of 500kg? That's the way I've always understood it.

No. Even better.

If the Tesla Cybertruck comes in at 3.5t GVW or less, then anyone that has a B-license can drive it and tow a trailer up to 750kg GVW on top of the GVW of the Cybertruck. On a B license !!

If the trailer is beyond that, you need B/E.

If the Cybertruck is beyond 3.5t GVW, you need C1.

If the Cybertruck is beyond 3.5t GVW and you want to tow a trailer, then you need C1+E.

I see scenario 1+2 as the most likely. Otherwise, it'll be a real pain for a lot of people. And that will not help sales. So, no matter what notion Elon has .. he will make that happen. He's not known for ignoring market advantages.

And honestly .. even bigger things than that come in at 3.5t GVW or less .. I own a few of them .. and they are bigger than most people like to drive.

Oh .. and again .. as those rules are sort of unified across the EU, Tesla is NOT going to ignore them. So I would say, those (like me) who indeed have put deposit down .. are grand. Unless you want to pull a 5th wheel caravan with it ... then I'll be grand .. the rest of you may not :)

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    No. Even better.

If the Tesla Cybertruck comes in at 3.5t GVW or less, then anyone that has a B-license can drive it and tow a trailer up to 750kg GVW on top of the GVW of the Cybertruck. On a B license !!

Ah yeah I remember now. Thanks for the update.

And I was just browsing some specs of massive Dethleffs motorhomes and they all seem to have a GVW of 3499kg, I wonder why :D

Ah yeah I remember now. Thanks for the update.

And I was just browsing some specs of massive Dethleffs motorhomes and they all seem to have a GVW of 3499kg, I wonder why :D

For THAT exactly same reason. They'd even be safe at 3500kg .. but in case Dethleffs just wanted to make sure, that potential future business never would be scoopered by future desk jockeys. For the sake of 1kg. It's called future planning.

It's the same with 8-seaters vs. 9-seaters. Do we include the drivers seat or not ? .. NO we do not. But the irish toll-bridges got that one arse-wise.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭traco

If its over 3500kg and C1 then won't it need a tacho fitted or is that only applicable to commercial use?

Any update if its even going to be made for the Oz/UK/Irl market?

It's like the F250 I had, gross unladen weight was 3.25t, but was plated as 3.5t GVWR (not from factory).
    The towing stuff is irrelevant, the B v C license starts and ends with the GVWR. It can be plated to tow 20t but if the GVWR is 3.499t you can drive it on a car license

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Any update if its even going to be made for the Oz/UK/Irl market?
    They have said it will be global and nothing has been changed since then.
    Can't see why it wouldnt come here.

They have said it will be global and nothing has been changed since then.
    Can't see why it wouldnt come here.

Only question for me it dual or tri motor and what colour wrap ill put on it!

Have reserved tri motor and won't be wrapping it

Wrapping it? The whole point about the Cybertruck is that it doesn't need any paint, it doesn't need to be pussyfooted with!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Have reserved tri motor and won't be wrapping it

Dual motor . Definitely not wrapping either.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

For sure. That's one of the huge advantages for me. Wont have to be so anal about not scraping it.

You'd nearly scrape it off a few concrete walls in an underground car park just for the craic :D

You'd nearly scrape it off a few concrete walls in an underground car park just for the craic :D

Some go faster stripes! Gateposts work well for that too

graememk wrote: »
    Some go faster stripes! Gateposts work well for that too

I'd be afraid the gatepost would be damaged and I'd have to pay for it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

What price are ye expecting the dual motor one to be?

What price are ye expecting the dual motor one to be?

Didnt they say 39k, 49k, 69k as the USD prices?
    Looking at the model 3 USD:IRL prices ratio, I'd expect 50k:60k:80k here for the three variants

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Didnt they say 39k, 49k, 69k as the USD prices?
    Looking at the model 3 USD:IRL prices ratio, I'd expect 50k:60k:80k here for the three variants

Is that vat reclaimable as a commercial vehicle then?

That's one question that hasnt' been answered yet. I'd assume it's the same as the likes of the env200, kangoo ZE etc. Vat reclaimable if bought commercially.

• Advertisement

It should be VAT reclaimable, as long as it fits into the cargobay/passenger space ratio that the rest of the crew cab pickups do.

If it doesn't no VAT registered business would buy it.

Advertisement