Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Cybertruck

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I see anyone who ever posted in the /realTesla Reddit was banned from all banned from the various Tesla reddits. Good news and endless praise only folks.

That’s an extremely dangerous fault that will almost certainly require a full recall. Just seems to be a myriad of issues starting to emerge with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Sticking go fast pedal is pretty bad in scale of 1-10. I had that happening on a leaf with only 150 PS and it didn't feel nice at all. I can only imagine what 700 PS would feel like under the same circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Also comical in how it actually happens if what the guy in the video is saying is accurate. You'd think the pedal cover would be screwed in place and not be able to slide off like that. How much did Tesla save by going with the cheap and cheerful option?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭nachouser

Cutting 14k jobs now. With 126k or so left, they'll definitely be "lean."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

That is scary 😧

There was a similar issue a few years ago where Toyota had to do a recall. Their floor mat would shift up covering the accelerator pedal and holding it down. Although you can override these things with the brake pedal, it can obviously cause people to panic, accelerate, and be in a very serious accident.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that toyota issue wasn't clear cut at all; there were reports that the engine was revving so hard the brakes wouldn't slow the car down, even with a foot buried hard on the brake pedal. there's no normal car where the engine is more powerful than the brake.

IIRC the 'pedal getting stuck under the mat' was a fringe issue which got confused with the real issue - drivers getting into unfamiliar cars and confusing the pedals.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Not that much of a fringe issue. I’ve heard of this happening on many cars over the years. Usually from people that just treat them like boxes, get in not caring how the mat is placed, cleaned etc Mat all over the place. User error unfortunately.

The tesla truck seems to be a bad design though, it will be interesting as this might actually be a proper recall rather than an ‘internet fud’ recall where it’s usually a OTA update. This may require physical fixings.

But also, let’s face it, these mods have been done to many cars aftermarket over the years. I re BER doing them on a few cars but never though of them slipping up and catching!

this - a malcolm gladwell podcast - was where i first heard about the toyota issue not being so clear cut. also available as a pure audio podcast on his website.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭wassie

The tesla truck seems to be a bad design though, it will be interesting as this might actually be a proper recall rather than an ‘internet fud’ recall where it’s usually a OTA update. This may require physical fixings.

A good structural adhesive like a glassy matrix epoxy would be more than enough to fix this, as it works best when the primary forces are either compressive or or shear.

This most likely (and obviously) will be down to poor quality control, most likely in Tesla's haste to get this car to market. Poor design is also clearly a contributing factor. Designers should always consider what happens in the event of component failure and this is a clear miss.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the link. I gave the episode a listen and found him very interesting. I agree with him that the driver panicking in a unfamiliar car is a major part of the issue. To recap, he stated that the mats may have covered the accelerator, that the drivers were unfamiliar with the vehicles, and as a result, pressed the accelerator instead of brake to try and stop. This caused the vehicles to accelerate and crash. He said that there were a few things that the driver could have done instead that would have prevented the crash. For example, take their foot off whatever pedal they were currently pressing and try the other. Or hold down the ignition button for three seconds which turns off the engine. Or put the car into neutral. I am assuming he got this from the NHTSA report that said that driver error or pedal misapplication was found responsible for most of the incidents.

This is what I disliked about the episode: When things go wrong, it is rarely one failure that causes it. It is a sequence of failures. Its the same with this example. The mats covering the pedal was a failure. The next failure was the driver panicking and not correctly applying the brake to overcome the accelerator etc. The blame doesn't lie on one step in the sequence but in multiple steps. Malcolm concentrated on the driver part of the blame an de-emphasised blame on what caused the driver to panic, which was the mat holding the accelerator down. He also didn't mention the other reasons for the recalls and what could cause the driver to panic, like the sticky accelerator pedals. The NHTSA/NASA report ended by stating, "Our conclusion is Toyota's problems were mechanical, not electrical." This included sticking accelerator pedals, and pedals caught under floor mats. Worse, it looks like the worst incidents were not caused by the driver pressing the wrong pedal:

"NHTSA does not have reason to believe that pedal misapplication is a cause of the relatively few, prolonged, high speed unintended acceleration indictments that present the greatest safety risk. NHTSA believed that those incidents are most likely the result of pedal entrapment by a floor mat that holds the accelerator pedal in an open throttle position. "

Ive subscribed to his podcast, hopefully he has other episodes like it.

There were some interesting links given in this story on the cybertruck. One was to a forum member reporting on it happening to them before the story broke:

https://insideevs.com/news/716031/tesla-cybertruck-stuck-accelerator-pedal/

Thats not a cheap fix. If i had a truck id probably jimmy them pedal covers off for the time being.

Ive subscribed to his podcast, hopefully he has other episodes like it.

they're certainly not all like that; the last ones i listened to were a six part series about gun violence and gun control in the states.

Th amount of abuse that poor guy got on that Cybertruck thread was horrendous. Also hilarious the way people were grasping at anything to try and make it not a Tesla problem. It went on for 20 odd pages until a poster reported that Tesla had started postponing orders. And even then some of them didn't let up. Quite something.

It really was, even though the guy seemed pretty sincere from the get-go, telling them how he loves the truck. For anyone looking for the link, its here: https://www.cybertruckownersclub.com/forum/threads/brake-malfunction-hit-light-pole.14130/

I got a laugh out of this fellas conspiracy theory as to why the OP was posting about crashing his cybertruck.

Haha, yeah I read that one and lolled. I hate to use stereotypes, but that profile pic pretty much matches the content of his post. Also 'gorilla' warfare. Every line's a treat.

well, it looks like it happened.
    all the cybertrucks are being recalled over the accelerator pedal.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/19/business/tesla-cybertruck-recall.html

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Detritus70

He hates nothing more than cutting staff.

Yeah right, he's an egomaniac and staff are nothing but bots to him at best. And with Twitter we've seen that he purposely treats people like sh1t because he's an asshole. His only talent is having money.

And my pet theory about the Cyber Truck, I would guess that up to now Musk listened to the engineers and designers and let them get on with it. But not with the truck. To me it's the equivalent of The Homer, it should have been called The Musk.

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

We had a little hail last night. Fortunately, my cars were in the garage. A friend's, not so much. As you can see, a few dents and shattered glass.

The cybertruck's 'bulletproof' metal and tough windshield make more sense if you've ever seen Texas hail. We live about 45 minutes South of the factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

and yet…

https://www.reddit.com/r/cybertruck/s/a87iVMYQCp

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Normally easier to replace windshields than the body panels of the vehicles next to it which he says were dented, in fairness. One of the commenters seems to agree.

Also worth noting the discussion on the size of the hail in that particular storm, apparently up to 4" diameter, bigger than we got last night. You get a big enough stone, I'm sure it'll eventually go through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'd rather have a car port or garage than by that yolk for the remote chance of a hail ball

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Detritus70

Apparently the Cyber Truck could have been inspired by an old DOS game. 😋

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

5:23 in - no instrument cluster? how can that be legal?

2016 called and they want their instrument cluster back.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

He actually states you have to look to the other side to see the speed. Like it’s not exactly over on the passenger side!

I don’t like the CT but some of these reviews seem to be just keeping up with the jones

Looking anywhere than ahead to see speed isn't really justifiable tbh.

Probably why the 1959 Mini, 1999 Yaris and 2002 Primera drivers keep crashing.

Ah we're picking random cars from the past for things that were wrong.. bizarre

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭kirving

In automotive, a DFMEA is absolutely standard. For a clip on cover to pass is absolutely insane in my view, and I've done quite a few automotive FMEAs.

Just a point on glue - I've spent weeks if not months of my life designing glue processes for automotive, specifically something which is safety critical but far far less so than an accelerator pedal. To put it mildly, it's a major headache to actually certify something that will be under almost 100% use, for 15+ years, is safety critical, must withstand -40 to +85 degrees if not more, with glue. A single production machine could have 50-100k worth of equipment just to do with dispensing and checking glue as it's such a controlled process.

By design, the footwell should never have been able to have a pedal become stuck, and/or they shouldn't have used that type of pedal cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Woodie40

I wouldn't entertain a car that didn’t have a H.U.D. Poverty spec is not for me.

Advertisement