Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Cybertruck

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It's a grey area within a grey area. To be honest a C1 licence isnt that hard to obtain so even if it is a requirement then that wouldnt put me off. If they ever sell them here directly, I expect them to issue guidance on the 4.25t exemption one way or another.

It would require a DOE/CVRT as it's an N1 class vehicle. Even if privately used. If you tax a ford transit or a ford ranger raptor privately, it still needs a DOE/CVRT and not an NCT.

My new (to me, 1989 registered) dodge ram dayvan requires a DOE as it's a van and thus N1, even though it's down as private tax.

• I’m gutted, I was really looking forward to smelling and touching it and telling everyone that I was close to one. The rope shattered my 2024 dream

It's still low voltage to be fair. Not many people make 400V window motors etc

I long for the day that we don't need a 12V/48V/LV battery at all. It should be possible to run everything out of the HV battery with DC:DC converters.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

well I'm assuming the battery is li-ion like all the rest of the Teslas so should last life of vehicle with zero maintenance

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Even if it is bitter.

If it's a clown show, then great, I'll be drowning in the clussy so.

Ok… that's enough internet for me today.

A day isn't long enough for that crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭derekreilly

Had a poke around the Cybertruck yesterday in Dublin and was allowed to sit in it etc.

It's not just Tesla doing this, but I really don't understand or like this trend for removing simple mechanical features like door handles. Especially here where there doesn't seem to be any non-electrical fallback option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,429 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

The non electric fallback would be a hammer 😁

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Watched Nobby's video on the Cybertruck. Gotta love those sharp edges all over, perfect for ensuring any children you run down are well and truly dead before they hit the ground

Truly is the Marmite of all vehicles, you either love it or hate it

You either like the car, hate the car or hate the CEO seemly 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭eagerv

I neither love it nor hate it, but nobody can say that it is not different, nor eyecatching; but possibly for the wrong reasons.

Was out on a good long country road cycle the other day, met multiple massive yokes, the thing I noticed were the number with massive bullbars. I think I would nearly prefer my chances in an unplanned meeting with the CT. Not that I would like to be hit by any of them..😶

Ah there's got to be someone out there who loves the truck but hates Musk

The great thing about there being 8 billion people is that there's about 24 billion opinions on everything 🤣

It's different, I'll give it that. However it's also the definition that different isn't always better

I definitely wouldn't want to end up tangled in bull bars, but I still think the sharp edges on the CT are going to be worse

It's a bit like hitting the edge of a table versus the flat of one. Neither are going to be pleasant, but the flat side probably won't cause a concussion

Having said that, a flat hardened stainless steel plate hitting you at 80km/h is probably going to kill you regardless of the exact impact location

A mini cooper hitting you at 80km/h will in all likelihood kill you too unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭maidhc

From an ev adoption point of view (and continued existence of Tesla pov) an affordable mundane looking blob like all the other teslas but with a bed would have been sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

says who?

I’d consider it low voltage. Depends on the industry , but in this case below 50v is low voltage.
    on power systems that number increase greatly

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,558 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The general standard is that something like 600 or 1000V is the threshold between low and medium voltage. Mains AC is considered low voltage.

That's not within the specific context of cars, of course.

It’s different. It’s out there. Not everyone likes “out there” styling. It’s no boring Toyota or VW, but it wasn’t aimed to compete with that end of the mundane market.

In a world of grey cars, a colour stands out. In a world of grey houses, a colour stands out.

Anyway, it highlights a certain generations reluctance to change and fear of same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,558 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The funny thing is that it's not the looks some of us object to. It's the totally bonkers size for me; like I said, I'd happily see it banned from suburban and urban contexts (and I know there's no mechanism to) but based on size.

but if someone came out with a saloon sized car with that sort of styling, I might think it ugly but not objectionable.

Bigger vehicles enter the urban and suburban areas such as high top, twin axle transits, HGV’s etc

I personally think it’s more a Tesla/Musk hate for the sake of it.

So many haters claiming design when they drive a Toyota Corolla, Camry or an ID4, the pinnacles of design!

Now, I’m not for one minute saying it’s a nice car or I’d buy one but I can respect the decision of others to buy one without getting emotional about the name/ceo behind it.

a HGV is a HGV for a reason. and you don't get them in housing estates or (usually) in car parks, etc.

i've been giving out about excessively large private vehicles for long before the cybertruck was ever conceived. the musk dislike is just an extra addition.

Typical Dublin suburb would get them daily for shop deliveries, home owners parking up etc

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You can't possibly be comparing transport that brings everyone's stuff to destination and then returns to a unit that would park up outside schools sit outside driveways rather than in them . It's a slab.

You keep saying it's musk or the car. It can be both or either. I hate the car because the design is ridiculous and it's size is so very American. Neither of this are musk but you can tell he was involved in pushing for it because it screams obnoxious.

i've had this argument before, but my point that 'HGVs should not be used as a benchmark to measure the size of private cars against' often falls flat against some ears.

Maybe HGV’s is a bit dramatic in my behalf.
    Im leaning more towards the Transit High Top, twin axle, Mercedes vans (UPS use them), Ford Rangers, wildtraks, raptors etc

I see no substantial size difference between those and one of these CT’s.

There are 1000’s of the above scattered across 1000’s of Dublin housing estates, school runs, shopping runs etc

I suspect throughout the country too.

Everything else after that is subject, looks, style, design is subjective.

• Advertisement

As I said, HGV was the incorrect term used by me. But you jumped on that while ignoring the high top transits etc

Advertisement