Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Cybertruck

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,057 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Tesla-cyber-wide.jpg

Do people seriously consider that as appropriate private transportation for Irish roads and villages? I can't recall any parking spaces big enough for that monstrosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

cnocbui wrote: »
    Tesla-cyber-wide.jpg

Do people seriously consider that as appropriate private transportation for Irish roads and villages? I can't recall any parking spaces big enough for that monstrosity.

pretty sure you wont be seeing many in Ireland

copeyhagen wrote: »
    pretty sure you wont be seeing many in Ireland

Several people in this thread have supposedly placed deposits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Yeah myself and Elm I think placed a 'deposit' . Agree, it's totally unsuitable for Irish roads but I have a hobby farm that I can use it on.( No need for my generator for the well pump anymore) Realistically I will still need another car.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

80sDiesel wrote: »
    Yeah myself and Elm I think placed a 'deposit' . Agree, it's totally unsuitable for Irish roads but I have a hobby farm that I can use it on.( No need for my generator for the well pump anymore) Realistically I will still need another car.

A generator on the back of a quad bike would be a bit less than €80,000, So would some solar panels and a Tesla Powerwall, but so long as you won't be side swiping me on an average country road, I don't care.

• Advertisement

A generator on the back of a quad bike would be a bit less than €80,000, So would some solar panels and a Tesla Powerwall, but so long as you won't be side swiping me on an average country road, I don't care.

But the truck is also a powerwall and has the option of solar. So it's all in one package.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

80sDiesel wrote: »
    I drive a full size f150 which cybertruck is literally within an inch of all dimensions. My family's smallest vehicle growing up was a full sized SUV. I've only ever drove trucks. I still have to really focus sometimes when driving

It's big, you feel like you're taking up whole lane, you have to turn wide or you'll hop curb or hit stuff. You can't ever park nose in because if you do good luck backing out lol.

You ride up high and sometimes hard to tell how close you are to stuff right ahead of you.

Luckily with air suspension you should be able to lower to go into garages.

:eek: :D

Lumen wrote: »
    :eek: :D

I know :) I have a 4 litre diesel truck on 33s so yeah ,I know what he is saying.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

My daughter wants to know will it tow a horsebox?!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭creedp

charlieIRL wrote: »

No need just load the horse into the back of the truck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

charlieIRL wrote: »

You'll be able to pull a fifth wheel one. Not sure if that's big enough! :)

06691cd9dc5f7963608dc93bcd278d64.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,202 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Several people in this thread have supposedly placed deposits.

Good luck to them. Irish roads are definitely not built for this thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭_ned_

Hmmm... there's an F150 lives on Sunday's Well road here in Cork. 2 cars can barely pass especially if you run into a nervous driver, who gets "deer-in-headlight" syndrome. I think it's about the same dimensions as the F150 with the 6.5' bed. No problem!
    Anyway, with all that super-hardened stainless steel and no paint, you won't have to worry if you scrape against some other poor sod driving in an old-fashioned painted wagon! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Fourwinds

I am one of those people who has paid the deposit on this and after driving an American rv around Ireland and Europe I will look forward to taking it around West Cork in about 4 to 5 years time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Rashers Big Log

I’ll gladly bet anyone here a ‘signed dollar’ that this Tonka Truck never enters production.
    Mod: Snip, Topic is Tesla Cybertruck, keep it on topic

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Fourwinds wrote: »
    I will look forward to taking it around West Cork in about 4 to 5 years time

Doesn't sound like an enjoyable drive to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

Does anyone know how could a vehicle with a hard Exo-skelaton and windscreen comply with the new EU rules on pedestrian safety that have been reported as meaning that a bonnet, windscreen and bumper have to have increased cushioning for pedestrians? The new rules come into force in 2022. Have Tesla addressed this.

https://data.consilium.europa.eu/doc/document/PE-82-2019-INIT/en/pdf

https://safecarnews.com/safer-cars-in-the-eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

To pass the type approval they'll need to address it. Other commercials like Sprinter van for example has now much longer and higher bonnet to provide better cushioning for the peds. 2000->2006(similar to 2000)->face lift 2013 longer nose->New model 2018 even longer nose.

Tesla doesn't have anything under the frunk so will be easler to pass the regs than front engined vans I'd imagine.

Sprinter-T1N-1170x877.jpg
    64a3436011da47da9592af40ff07a052.jpg
    Cybertruck-4-640x354.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

Pop up bonnet airbag ?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

Actually, I didn't see the interior part of Cyber Truck but I think as electric vehicles are the future of automobile world that's why Tesla's legal department will also comply with the EU rule to overcome these issues in future.

• Advertisement

samih wrote: »
    To pass the type approval they'll need to address it. Other commercials like Sprinter van for example has now much longer and higher bonnet to provide better cushioning for the peds. 2000->2006(similar to 2000)->face lift 2013 longer nose->New model 2018 even longer nose.

Tesla doesn't have anything under the frunk so will be easler to pass the regs than front engined vans I'd imagine.

The Stainless steel is 3mm thick - doesn't matter what they have under the frunk.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I don't think Tesla care a whole hell of a lot about the sales of Cybertruck outside of North America. It's almost impossible to get one's head wrapped around the size of the market here, anything sold in Europe would be a 'nice to have', assuming the costs of getting the small numbers over there can be dealt with.

The F150 isn't the only contender in the space. Despite that, and despite really being predominantly sold only in North America, only one vehicle has ever sold more models in the entire world combined, that's the Toyota Corolla. Twice as many F150s have been sold as Honda Civics, multiply VW Beetles by 1.5 and you don't get to F150 numbers. Ford sold an F150 every 29 seconds last year.

Cybertruck has two issues that not many people are talking about.
    The first is some of the figures. The vast majority of folks do not use the capacity of their F150, even if they do use it as a work / duty vehicle as opposed to being a cool dad-mobile. That the Cybertruck will carry more is generally an irrelevant issue, and working people will not particularly sacrifice other features (or dollars) to get it. For some of the really heavy stuff, where the capacities and traction will be useful, Tesla will need to offer a dually version.

The second is geographic. There's a reason big trucks and SUVs are so hugely popular even though most people don't actually see that they are so common.
    This is a typical big US city parking lot. Typical of much of the population, and tourists. Lots of cars, a few minivans, and a minority of SUVs/Trucks. You'll see far more Mustangs than F150s.
    Listing_296137_img

Now, this is a parking lot from most of the rest of the US, photo taken from a live camera at an airport in Wyoming.
    maxresdefault.jpg

How many cars are in that picture, vs large SUVs and Pickups? The reason isn't just that people in Wyoming work for a living, it's the white stuff. Most of the US and Canada (geographically) does not have a good ploughing and salting service. You're just talking about waaay too many miles of road, even compared to wintery places in Europe like the Alps. You need ground clearance, and you need all-wheel drive. AWD Pickup vs AWD SUV is a matter of personal choice, but the bottom line is that you want something with good range, and able to go over snowy routes, often dirt and not tarmac. This is where the pickups are being sold to make the numbers.

But.... https://abcnews.go.com/Travel/wireStory/aaa-cold-weather-cut-electric-car-range-40-60902845
    AAA: Cold weather can cut electric car range over 40 percent

The solution at the end of the article?
    AAA recommends that drivers heat or cool their cars while still plugged in to a charging station. It says electric cars can still be used in extreme climates with a little extra planning.

Where's the charging station at a worksite? A fossil-fuel powered truck is not going to lose 40% of its range because it's between November and April. Sure, the Cybertruck will still bite into Ford sales in Arizona or (most of) Texas, but Colorado, Montana or Kansas? Ford and Chevy will still have that market tied up.

The Stainless steel is 3mm thick - doesn't matter what they have under the frunk.

If you're a betting man I would be ready to make a bet that the bonnet in not going to be made with 3 mm stainless steel exactly because of pedestrian safety. Tesla might have to compromise on the walkability aspect a bit by using 0.8 mm sheet there. The doors will have to be the thicker stuff due to the hammer demo but as long as the bonnet can survive somebody walking on it it's good enough.

If you're a betting man I would be ready to make a bet that the bonnet in not going to be made with 3 mm stainless steel exactly because of pedestrian safety. Tesla might have to compromise on the walkability aspect a bit by using 0.8 mm sheet there. The doors will have to be the thicker stuff due to the hammer demo but as long as the bonnet can survive somebody walking on it it's good enough.

It'd be easy enough to design a bonnet with 3mm steel that would pass NCAP testing. You just break it up into squares and mount each one on a piece of compressible foam.

It'd look badass too. Maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭josip

Lumen wrote: »
    You just break it up into squares and mount each one on a piece of compressible foam.

It'd look badass too. Maybe.

Yeah, like a disco ball.

josip wrote: »
    Yeah, like a disco ball.

I was thinking more like a hand grenade, but that works too. :D

Then it wouldn't be bulletproof to a 9mm handgun as stated. But keep moving the goal posts around with baseless conjectures to make things fit your aspirations. Elsewhere there are others using farcical conjurings of 8% improved batteries as light as a feather that Tesla will offer as retrofits.

I'm surprised no one has suggested Tesla just use a dematerialising teleport beam to remove inconvenient pedestrians from in front of the Cyber Duck and rematerialise them behind it. We're only one Musk Tweet away from that becoming a guaranteed feature.

Then it wouldn't be bulletproof to a 9mm handgun as stated. But keep moving the goal posts around with baseless conjectures to make things fit your aspirations.

Not many people travel in the frunk so bulletproof might not be required for the frunk area. Just make sure it's mentioned in the user manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭_ned_

I can just see Samuel L Jackson and Robert deNiro looking down into the frunk of a Cybertruck:
    Louis:
    Who's that?

Ordell Robbie:
    That's Beaumont.

Louis:
    Who's Beaumont?

Ordell Robbie:
    An employee I had to let go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

https://youtu.be/S4W-P5aCWJs
    Video about evs and towing