Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CBA not helping children stress level at all!

Options
  • 21-11-2019 7:14pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭

Hi, just looking to see if other parents are finding that their children are overloaded.

My daughter is in 2nd year, and the amount of 'Christmas' exams..OMG
    Every subject has done 3-4 exams as the overall Christmas exam, it has been relentless for the last month, and shows no sign of abating.

4 exams this week, another 5 exams next week, and a child who is in tears she's under that much stress. (it's been like this for weeks)

And as for here extracurricular sports, training has stopped completely, as there is no time left, so so much for caring about children's fitness, mental heath and well being!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 caitt

Hi ..... I have just posted question about cba1 history to try and help ds out as he too is getting overwhelmed.... and he too is trying to do revision and all sorts of homework. He too plays sport but didn't go training last night as he just has too much to do . It's very hard for them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

This was well known. Asking anyone who has been to college would have answered this, CBA massively increases stress levels. Instead of worrying about the JC or LC for a few months of one year you have to worry constantly for almost 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 caitt

GarIT wrote: »
    This was well known. Asking anyone who has been to college would have answered this, CBA massively increases stress levels. Instead of worrying about the JC or LC for a few months of one year you have to worry constantly for almost 5 years.

I think I agree with you !!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

So why was this foist upon our kids?

This morning (3 rd time this week) I have had to deal with an overtired young girl found in a heap crying in the bathroom at 7.30am this morning (2 exams Tuesday, 2 Wednesday, 2 Today, 1 tomorrow, and similar lined up for next week!)

The teachers are now approaching ALL exams like CBAs and dividing them into multiple exams, this is just crazy.
    Sent in a letter to explain, one teacher moved here Friday exam (to next Tuesday) was the result!!

A girl I knew when i was in school threw herself off a bridge over exams (even though she ended up getting brilliant results) but the poor kid wasn't around to see them. We are going down this path with all this rubbish. MENTAL HEALTH and schools are responsible.

For the other poster regarding your child not getting to sports training, for their mental health the break this training gives them along with the endorphin release is so need to help them through this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

GarIT wrote: »

This is only recently on my radar, but the are so many negative angles at play here.

Does anyone else think that it is less than desirable that the class Teacher marks these?

My child has a Teacher who is as odious as she is unprofessional/lazy and has taken a dislike to certain students and is routinely petty/vindictive towards them etc.

Not a great combination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

What I can’t understand is the fact
    they are called CLASSROOM BASED ASSESSMENTS yet most of the work for the CBA is done at home?????

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭LaLa2004

Don't worry, next year they will have 7 classes of "Wellness" built into the school week. PE, SPHE, CSPE will count as wellness. That's 4 periods. The other 3 periods will be removed from exam subjects.

There are very few "Wellness" teachers at present.

Will this not result in more pressure on students? There will be less class contact time with teachers in exam subjects. CBA's will remain and take up some periods during the school year. CBA's will exist for all subjects...

Advertisement