Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this normal reaction to high pressure job?

Options
  • 21-11-2019 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am currently working in a role that requires full concentration/effort 99% of the time with constant tight deadlines which I have no control of and things pop up all the time that have to be dealt with as they arise. The hours are above average but not "excessively" - maybe 4-6 hours unpaid overtime a week. Lunch is sometimes at the desk , maybe 2-3 times a week.

I am struggling a bit but others appear to be outwardly fine for the most part. I find myself often waking up at night thinking about deadlines or dreaming about them! Bowel movement is erratic without going into detail. I definitely feel stressed at work more then half of the time.

Can't tell if this is the norm and it is just me (perhaps not suited to this kind of environment) or something I can grow used to/build resilience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,974 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How long have you been there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

It's normal in the sense that there are plenty of people in the same position as you. They're suffering from burnout.

The people you work with may not have the same roles and might have more slack built into their jobs than you realise.

Drop the notion you'll build resilience by working in this environment. Being on high alert the whole time will just cause anxiety (such as the sense of dread you're feeling) . The physical symptoms have already begun for you (stomach problems) and they'll probably get worse.

Take a step back and you'll realise what you're doing isn't sustainable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Yeah normal. You need to make changes one way or another or you will burn out for sure. Discuss with appropriate party. You need either softer deadlines or another person to take some of the work on. Also look at options for moving to a new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

antix80 wrote: »
    Drop the notion you'll build resilience by working in this environment. Being on high alert the whole time will just cause anxiety (such as the sense of dread you're feeling) . The physical symptoms have already begun for you (stomach problems) and they'll probably get worse.

Take a step back and you'll realise what you're doing isn't sustainable.

This,

Am in the middle of it myself, not worth it, looking for my out soon as circumstances allowe.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,325 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

This is probably fairly normal - whether it’s reasonable or not is a different question.

I think this is clearly and directly a result of declining Trade Unions and diminishing workers rights.

Unpaid work isn’t reasonable to expect. You’re paid to do a job, doing unpaid work means they don’t have enough staff. It would be as reasonable as asking the boss to come around to your house and do a few hours in the garden or housework or minding the kids - tho kind of things you’d be doing if you weren’t working for free.

Likewise eating at the desk and not having a lunch break - it’s working for free too. But it’s supposed to be a break. It’s important for physical and mental health and your enjoyment of the job.

So it’s probably normal but definitely not reasonable. Support Trade Unions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

I did it burned out and 4 years down the line only starting to even begin to recover.

Not good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

AnonOPJob wrote: »
    I am currently working in a role that requires full concentration/effort 99% of the time with constant tight deadlines which I have no control of and things pop up all the time that have to be dealt with as they arise. The hours are above average but not "excessively" - maybe 4-6 hours unpaid overtime a week. Lunch is sometimes at the desk , maybe 2-3 times a week.

I am struggling a bit but others appear to be outwardly fine for the most part. I find myself often waking up at night thinking about deadlines or dreaming about them! Bowel movement is erratic without going into detail. I definitely feel stressed at work more then half of the time.

Can't tell if this is the norm and it is just me (perhaps not suited to this kind of environment) or something I can grow used to/build resilience?

Some people react well to high pressure jobs. Other people break.

I think you need to focus on what's best for you, what you can do to improve the situation, and what your line in the sand is for knowing when to take a step back.

I theoretically have a high pressure job but I respond well to this. My ex on the other hand was the opposite and had to go on medication and ended up quitting. There's no right or wrong here, we're just wired differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the replies.

Best part of a year in the role. It has not let up bar the very very odd day in that time. Difficult to get time off for that reason.

I report to senior management a lot of the time and don’t feel like I can discuss it with them. Not much room for slipping up and expected to be on the ball all the time.

Have prior experience in stressful jobs but nothing like this

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

6 hours unpaid work is not normal.

If a company requires you to work extra hours over your contract on a project in order to meet an unrealistic deadline you need to be paid for your time.

Otherwise you are just devaluing yourself and risking your health and indeed your team.

You’ll be hit with more work and the same or similar deadlines or even tighter ones and the company will be getting more work and compensating you less.

Also think of the motivator in terms of you flooring it so you don’t end up loosing out. The stress on your health, you personally.

It’s very unlikely that a shower of chancers like that can be negotiated with in terms of trying to secure compensation and pay for extra time and effort.

I’d be putting it down to experience and making an exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

4 to 6 hours unpaid, fcuk that, never let anyone take your time for free, will you get it back in the next life to make up for it ? Finish on time, take your breaks and stop working for nothing.

• Advertisement

4 to 6 hours unpaid, fcuk that, never let anyone take your time for free, will you get it back in the next life to make up for it ? Finish on time, take your breaks and stop working for nothing.

I wonder what would happen if the OP actually did that and said that wee working the Job they signed up for (and are being paid for).

I'm not suggesting an "I am Spartacus" moment, because I work in the public sector with a strong union. So I work my hours and I get TOIL for any additional hours needed to get the work done.

I wonder what would happen if the OP actually did that and said that wee working the Job they signed up for (and are being paid for).

I'm not suggesting an "I am Spartacus" moment, because I work in the public sector with a strong union. So I work my hours and I get TOIL for any additional hours needed to get the work done.

But they're not being paid fully for it, and who knowingly signs up to a job they know they won't get paid overtime for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

But they're not being paid fully for it, and who knowingly signs up to a job they know they won't get paid overtime for

All those on a salary.

All those on a salary.

Correct. But dealing with what the op wrote they refer to unpaid hours, which i presume to mean they're on a weekly/monthly wage rather than a salary.

Loads of people, I think. I'm given to understand loads of people think some unpaid hours every week is normal.

Loads of people, I think. I'm given to understand loads of people think some unpaid hours every week is normal.

I cant see the point, fair enough if you get caught the odd time but 4 hours a week is 2 days a month free to their employers, 20 days a year which more or less cancels out any holidays the employee is entitled to, i wish I could meet fools like that to work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

Well this is just nonsense. If you are in a senior job, highly paid then this is a very low level of "unpaid" work. Do you get an annual bonus? if so then that covers your overtime! I have worked for a few multinationals, if you are paid 100k, 150k 200k ++ then you need to expect some stress and an intense work environment.

I am not unsympathetic, but this is reality. I have also had MANY people working for me in the 60k to 100k range who were "on" all the time. Many thrived on it, some did not.

You need to decide what you want from a job/life. High intensity/stress is not for everyone. And thats OK, no shame in it. Pick the life/job that works for you

jjmcclure wrote: »
    Well this is just nonsense. If you are in a senior job, highly paid then this is a very low level of "unpaid" work. Do you get an annual bonus? if so then that covers your overtime!

You need to decide what you want from a job/life. High intensity/stress is not for everyone. And thats OK, no shame in it. Pick the life/job that works for you

A bonus is not measured compensation for overtime. Overtime is paid as part of your salary. For EXTRA of your time and effort that they want...

Companies need to set out the expectations of their employees at the time of hiring them... ie. salary, shifts, overtime is paid when at what rate etc...

Of course any company such as the one the OP is describing are unlikely to do that as they won’t be able to hire anyone if they front up and say ...

“ well you are going to be placed with an unacceptable and intended workload that will in all likely take you more then your contracted hours to complete, but for doing this we won’t pay you a cent extra even if we are taking an extra 5 hours of YOUR time per week”...

Just, up, and LEAVE.. at the first sign of this type of shît....

jjmcclure wrote: »
    Well this is just nonsense. If you are in a senior job, highly paid then this is a very low level of "unpaid" work. Do you get an annual bonus? if so then that covers your overtime! I have worked for a few multinationals, if you are paid 100k, 150k 200k ++ then you need to expect some stress and an intense work environment.

I am not unsympathetic, but this is reality. I have also had MANY people working for me in the 60k to 100k range who were "on" all the time. Many thrived on it, some did not.

You're talking about a small percentage of the population when talking wages of 100k plus, not everyone works for multinationals and if anyone on less than 50k a year is doing unpaid overtime they'd want their heads examined, what percentage of the population do you think get bonuses and earn more than 100k a year.

The op obviously isn't happy with the hours and stress so should pick a job that works for them

Edit: actually fcuk that if you're contracted to 40 hours a week and you're doing 45 weekly they're stealing your time and getting away with it no matter how much you're being paid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Strumms wrote: »
    A bonus is not measured compensation for overtime. Overtime is paid as part of your salary. For EXTRA of your time and effort that they want...

Companies need to set out the expectations of their employees at the time of hiring them... ie. salary, shifts, overtime is paid when at what rate etc...

Of course any company such as the one the OP is describing are unlikely to do that as they won’t be able to hire anyone if they front up and say ...

“ well you are going to be placed with an unacceptable and intended workload that will in all likely take you more then your contracted hours to complete, but for doing this we won’t pay you a cent extra even if we are taking an extra 5 hours of YOUR time per week”...

Just, up, and LEAVE.. at the first sign of this type of shît....

Do good companies set out expectations and overtime?

• Advertisement

Blaizes wrote: »
    Do good companies set out expectations and overtime?

They should...those that I’ve worked for have and were consistent in workload meeting expectations as set out and overtime when required was paid as agreed...

I even remember one manager one Christmas Eve when realistically we could have said “see you later” but instead of getting home Christmas Eve we got home Christmas Day after 1am instead of 8pm...

For December my calculation I was overpaid 9 hours OT and the colleague on that shift the same... we went to the boss just in case and being honest like...

“ look you went over and above, otherwise there was an aircraft and a crew sitting away from their families in a poxy hotel over Xmas”, say fûck all though...

He did the ODD thing like that for others too if they went over and above... like adding an extra day to your holiday allowance on the QT.... his saying “going over and above, great but that needs to be rewarded”...

Ive worked for fûckwits who were polar opposites of that too... “you should be glad you can do extra, glad you have a job !”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

When my trainer at my current job took unexpected leave (hes long gone now and I'm running things) I was only weeks into the job. Computer systems were not explained, SOP's were non existant. I fcked things up so bad that it went right up the ladder to the CEO.

I told them I wasn't trained to do the role. I spent sleepless nights trying to plan out how I was going to do the days job. And my stomach was fcked. I was a day away from walking. Stress is a monster. I swore after that to never get worked up over a job again.

Apart from a very few, no matter how important you think you are, you're a number and a cash cow who's easily replaced.

All these Pharma/MNC family days out, BBQ's, giveaways....The management are laughing. And the loyalty being shown to some of the bigger pharmas is embarrassing.

No matter years in, you'd be dropped faster than a hot snot if it suited them.

Heckler wrote: »

Apart from a very few, no matter how important you think you are, you're a number and a cash cow who's easily replaced.

This. In the modern Ireland it’s been an employers market for a long time and there is it seems an ever growing culture of ‘grab what we can’ from employers from employees instead of a culture whereby respect and realistic expectations and care are ‘mutual’ and consideration for the outside of work life of the employee is a concern...

I sometimes catch myself caring about my job too much and take a step back. There really is no point.

Start applying for other jobs. Read your contract carefully. Work as hard as you think you, an adult, should be working. Miss deadlines if that is a natural consequence of you not killing yourself for your job. When issues arise, tell them you're more than happy to work with them to solve this problem their business currently has.

I sometimes catch myself caring about my job too much and take a step back. There really is no point.

Start applying for other jobs. Read your contract carefully. Work as hard as you think you, an adult, should be working. Miss deadlines if that is a natural consequence of you not killing yourself for your job. When issues arise, tell them you're more than happy to work with them to solve this problem their business currently has.

Well said... if there is an issue with a deadline that isn’t of your making, inform them early as to how and why and be strong, no debate, hold your ground

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

As someone who has been working 10 years in multinationals, I say get the hell out of there!
    Make your choice, are you a career person who is happy to give a large part of your life to these companies, or do you want a balance?
    If you want the big bucks etc, you need to accept these demands I believe. No matter what they say about worklife balance, they will still require a lot from you, eg. Always on call, laptop out at night, weekends etc.

If not, and you want a balanced life, seek that out. Either stand up and say you've too heavy a workload etc, be firm. If this isn't an option, get out of there! Like others have said here, you're just a number to them.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

+1 to this, no way would I work even 1 minute overtime for free never mind 6 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

If you have to work extra hours on an ongoing basis just to meet existing deadlines and then more to make up for the urgent issues that crop up (again regularly) then your manager / project managers are not setting realistic schedules and there needs to be some pushback (from you and other employees).

If you regularly have to work extra hours note them and use it to support looking for a pay rise. e.g. if you work an average of 1.5 hours every day use that fact (with evidence) to ask for a 20% pay increase.

Your effort adds to the company bottom line, you should be compensated proportionately. The company wouldn't work for a client for free, why should you?

If a certain % of your work is responding to the unexpected then that needs to be built into project schedules from the beginning. If working over and above is regularly required to meet deadlines then it is a sign of poor management / project management or deliberate exploitation.

Time spent on tasks should be tracked against original resource planning and fed back to continually improve planning accuracy, both for current projects and for future projects.

If more unexpected tasks arise than were planned for then management need to manage, make priority calls and decide where to take the hit - renegotiate deliverables - schedules, scope, hire temporary / contract staff, etc. to bring things back on track and plan better in future.

Employees needing to work extra hours on an ongoing basis to keep schedules on track is only enabling poor management.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Heckler wrote: »
    When my trainer at my current job took unexpected leave (hes long gone now and I'm running things) I was only weeks into the job. Computer systems were not explained, SOP's were non existant. I fcked things up so bad that it went right up the ladder to the CEO.

I told them I wasn't trained to do the role. I spent sleepless nights trying to plan out how I was going to do the days job. And my stomach was fcked. I was a day away from walking. Stress is a monster. I swore after that to never get worked up over a job again.

All these Pharma/MNC family days out, BBQ's, giveaways....The management are laughing. And the loyalty being shown to some of the bigger pharmas is embarrassing.

There is NOBODY who isn't replaceable in a job from Donal Trump to Elon Musk down to the cleaner who hoovers the office. Everyone is just a number who can be replaced in a flash and if anyone has specialist knowledge, someone else will always come in and take over. The danger is believing the sad company types who have no lives outside of work and start to think they are actually important or in any way special and try to push that view on their workers.

I feel sorry for such people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Some people thrive in high pressure environments and others dont.
    I think for the most part there are a lot of jobs that have peak times where the expectation on staff increases and then for the rest of the year in levels out.

Are you on a salary or per hour? If your on a salary you may find it states in your contract you are expected to stay late or work additional hours when the business needs.
    Those who exceed expectations in the work place on a regular basis tend to be the ones who thrive and progress. Generally speaking of course.

Advertisement