Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe zones for wiring.

Options
  • 21-11-2019 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi. Can an electrician on here answer me a quick query. We are getting some work done on our house and this involves a.small.amount of wiring work. The electrician has cut a channel along the very bottom of the wall to run several cables to the next room. I suppose this will be plastered over and then skirting board will cover that. There is an existing socket on the same wall about three inches up. This new channel is below and to the right of this alongside the floor. This seems off to me. Am i right in saying the only safe zone is in direct right angles to the wall socket? The guy is RECI registered but to my limited knowledge what he has done aint viewed.as safe. Am i wrong ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

Am not sure exactly what your question is, or the perceived problem

Perhaps,in the first instance, discuss with your electrical contractor, who could explain, I would think, his/her reasoning why the work is being carried out in the manner it is.

Perhaps I am missing something, but not sure what the problem is.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I don't really understand your question either, but horizontal chases are only permitted for short distances (can't remember how long) and it is not permitted to run cables behinds a skirting board. However cables are allowed to cross behind a skirting board at right angles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

There is no length limiting horizontal tracks (bar any structural issues). They can be horizontal or vertical, or within 150mm (6") of the coming or corners (but not floor).

Behind the skirting board is a no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 AtomsForPeace

Risteard81 wrote: »
    There is no length limiting horizontal tracks (bar any structural issues). They can be horizontal or vertical, or within 150mm (6") of the coming or corners (but not floor).

Behind the skirting board is a no no.

He has run cable outside what i understand to be permitted safe zones. Directly behind where skirting board will go.. maybe his reasoning is that it shouldnt be plastered in to the wall so its visible.. my feeling is he has taken the easiest option.. it looks dodgy to me anyway as an amateur. I will quiz him later.

Heres a pic to explain it.

• Advertisement

:eek:Is that socket staying there ?

:eek:Is that socket staying there ?

I assume it is. No.mention of taking it out.

Shouldn't have to mention it,any decent spark wouldn't be able to walk away from that.
    Especially when the wall is being chased all ready.

Shouldn't have to mention it,any decent spark wouldn't be able to walk away from that.
    Especially when the wall is being chased all ready.

It is a dry wall. Cutting a chase would take no time. Maybe he is worried about existing wiring or something ? It is an old house. The only other reasoning i can think of is.. maybe the fuse board makes the whole area drirectly under it a safe zone? Im confused by his logic.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Not pretty. For a start move the socket up higher on the wall, secondly cabling can’t be run behind a skirting board like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Easily rectified provided there's no pipework behind that plasterboard. What's on the other side of that wall OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

It is a dry wall. Cutting a chase would take no time. Maybe he is worried about existing wiring or something ? It is an old house. The only other reasoning i can think of is.. maybe the fuse board makes the whole area drirectly under it a safe zone? Im confused by his logic.

A DB is an accessory so will have prescribed zones above, below and to the sides also.

Advertisement